Did I Pay Too Much?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Spaceboy Tim, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

So after doing my research and getting help from PSM I went to a local cigar/tobacco shop to get a cob and try some tobys. I've been there before for cigars and everyone is really helpful. I was set up with a cob, a pipe tool, and 50g of their custom blend. I was really excited but was surprised at the price of the tobacco. It was about $25 for the 50g which seemed steep but it was cheaper than the name brand tobys which were selling for $30-35 for a 50g tin.

So I'm wondering, did I pay too much or is this hobby a little more expensive than I might have initially though?

2. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

That sounds pretty expensive, in the US it's little over $10 on average for 50g, however in Sweden $25-30 is about average.

Maybe Canada has tobacco tax almost as high as Sweden, I dunno.

I know nothing, so don't take my word for it, but it sounds to me that you did pay too much.

3. Jonny

Jonny Member

Were in Canada dude, everythings expensive here haha. Although that does seem like a bit much...

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That's about average for Western Canada. Tax city.

The "fancy" shop in Calgary sells their bulk for something like .70 /g so 50 g is something like 35 bucks. That's as high as I've seen.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wow , thats alot of money for a tin . Can you order from the states ? Or will they slam you either way ?

6. erickghint

erickghint Member

I've heard some horror stories about people ordering toby from the States to Canada. Customs up there sucks from what I understand. I could be wrong though.

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You can order from the states, and sometimes customs molests it and sometimes not. It's a treat to have to pay 100 bucks taxes on 4 tins of tobacco to break it out of the post office. Also, there are limitations as to how much tobacco you can have without "paperwork" ie without having paid taxes. I think it's about a kilo but I can't remember exactly.

All the big sellers are absolutely adamant about not mislabelling a shipment because it's illegal to do so, and many will not bother to ship across the border at all.

The only "nice" part of the situation is that because it's basically all taxes anyhow, the difference between buying cheap tobacco and buying premium stuff is very small.

Now here's my official moderator's warning to all the big hearted guys out there who are about to post "Hey man I'll send you 30 pounds of tobacco and label it "socks" on the shipping form" sort of posts. Don't. What you do in your spare time is up to you, but this place isn't a front for bootleg toby. Capiche?

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

I'm more of an old school kind of guy anyway. I'm gonna load up a boat full of the good stuff, and head for Canada. I'll be RICH I tell ya RICH!!!!!. Who's in?:whistle:

10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

4noggins.com is international pipe smokers essential viewing.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Well, then how 'bout if I send you 30 lbs of my dirty sox and label it pipe tobaccos? Would that work? :roflmao:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Thank you Puff, but we don't wear socks in Canada.

:startle:

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

Wow, you must be in a warm part of Canada!!:whistle:

14. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I was really hoping to get toby for cheaper but I guess this is what I'll have to pay. It looks like it might be a while before I can afford to get some good variety in toby.

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Sounds great! Just let me get my swim fins and rubber ducky and I'll be ready to hit the high seas!! :cheers:

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!​
    :groucho:

16. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Any Canadians know of some online shops in Canada that have some cheaper prices?

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There are a few, Thomas Hinds in toronto, for example, but the inter-provincial shipping is a little strange. Tobacco is taxed at about 15 different levels, one of them being provincial, so theoretically, you can't pay for tobacco in Ontario and fly it to B.C. (I think).

But the real point is that the taxes are almost uniform across the board so you really don't see big time savings. Postage, for instance, would equal the thing out (at best).

18. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for the input Sas.

I'm quite bummed since my wallet won't allow me to try all these different tobys that I'm reading about. I was thinking about getting some on my next overnight trip to Washington but I read that you can only bring 200g or so that won't be taxed. Hopefully I can figure out a way to stop being a broke college kid soon. Either that or move to America. :)

19. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Just move to the good ol usa.

20. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Yeah, move to the US lol tins here are pretty cheap, like $10 on average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.