Did you ever notice.,,,,

Condor

Did you ever notice that when you meet a guy who smokes a pipe , the intro is about pipe smoking. I spent two weeks in West Palm beach ( played 2 rounds of golf at the greatest golf course there is- Seminole Golf Club as guest. Can not describe it.) So , where we are staying , no smoking allowed except at specific smoking station . Where I meet fellow pipe smoker! We talked pipes , tobacco , etc. Cigarette smokers or cigar smokers never talk , it seems, about.. " oh , this butt is great , or what makes that cigar different." They talk about General stuff at a smoking station. We talked Dunhill , tobacco, Aston , Peterson, Comoy, cleaning the pipe to not leave any smell in the room...shared tobacco...etc. we had three bowls just on one long conversation . Do cig or cigar smokers do that?

Last edited:

Deadfrog

Patron
When I'm out in a "smoke pit" I never encounter another pipe smoker. But in the time I'll smoke a pipe, several waves of cig smokers will pass by. And it's always a one sided convo. I'll field a million questions about smoking a pipe, but it's hard to reciprocate. "Hey Buddy, how you liking those Players king size?" Doesn't really work lol. I'd love to shoot the sh!t with another pipe smoker, but have never had the opportunity.

Serenity

This is a pipe smokers forum and from what I've read in these pages a high percentage are closet pipers and sadly I too don't come across pipe smokers, that I know of. One of the main reasons I will always go to the Columbus Ohio pipe show, is I get to sit with other pipers and friends from PSF.

Being a cigarette,cigar,pipe smoker I've had several wonderful discussions in the
"Leper Colony".It's just that the topic is different according to which I'm smoking.
With cigarettes it is mainly griping about taxes and government.With cigars it is
usually about sports or work.With pipes it will be on books and movies.I'm
guessing each has it's own intellectual calling.

Condor

It was interesting that the conversation started by talking about how few pipe smokers we both see.... then it went to what kind and make was our pipes.... then to tobacco's and availability. Our history and that our fathers smoked a pipe , etc. Not once was sports , politics , or other stuff except about the place we were staying and weather.

Tsal

Bruyere Royale
Patron
It was interesting that the conversation started by talking about how few pipe smokers we both see.... then it went to what kind and make was our pipes.... then to tobacco's and availability. Our history and that our fathers smoked a pipe , etc. Not once was sports , politics , or other stuff except about the place we were staying and weather.
Sounds like a great time was had. :puffy: The folks I come across really are not that engaging in conversation. They can barely talk. Lmao..

Lordmoto

Shameless Rubber of Flake
Patron
This is a pipe smokers forum and from what I've read in these pages a high percentage are closet pipers and sadly I too don't come across pipe smokers, that I know of. One of the main reasons I will always go to the Columbus Ohio pipe show, is I get to sit with other pipers and friends from PSF.
I must admit that I am a closet piper ...
When I am at home I never smoke a cigarette, but when I go out I grab a pack of RYO cigarettes purely out of convenience.
My apologies to all the "real" pipers out there :oops:

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
Patron
Type of smoking and topic of conversation aside, when I was out and about more, at some function or event I always found I'd prefer to hang in the smokers corner than with the non-smokers. Always found that group friendlier and more interesting, regardless of what they were smoking. (I'd even do that if I didn't have anything to smoke. Better company.)