Difference between chocolate flakes?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by grga, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grga

grga Member

Could someone explain how is G&H's compared to SG's chocolate flake?
    I like SG's a lot, it is a great baccy, of course, didn't try the other one.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I love SG Choc Flake myself. I got some Bob's Chocolate Flake once and hated it and gave it away free. I didn't taste any himt of chocolate, just pure perfume. :(

3. grga

grga Member

Thank you very much for that information!
    ;)

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Oh sure! Pope my bubble Ming. I have an unopened tin of Bob's in the cabinet and have never had it before. I bought it because several PSFers said it was great. I hope you were smoking a stinky pipe! :p

5. Mington

lol Brad. As we all know; everyone doesn't like what everyone else likes. For example; Half and Half almost made me vomit and I flushed it down the toilet. Many fine people love it here and I would not knock that or anyone's taste ever! I bet because I hated it, you may love it. lol
    Let me know what you think of it when you try it. I am just not into perfume baccys.
    There are only a couple baccy's I gave a 1 star (or less) and those 2 fit my 1 star or less rating. To each his\her own. Right?
    So send me your junk and I will send you mine. LOL
    :toast:

6. BradNTX

SaC sent

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SG Mayors Chocolate and GH Bob's Chocolates are somewhat similar smokes but yet quite different. To me, the GH had more chocolate flavor than the SG and smoked smoother but it did give more of a nic-kick (as does most GH, moreso than SG imo). I enjoyed Bob's over Mayor's but do enjoy both. There's more Bob's in my cellar btw.

Yes, Bob's does come through with some lakeland essences but it's not very strong (again, imo) and I'm liking it in moderation (lakeland) but not at the "Ennerdale level" :)

Ed
    Puff

Mister Moo and BradNTX like this.
  8. Mington

Does GH Chocolate have any perfume (aka Lakeland) taste or smell?

9. Puff The Magic

For those who weren't payin' attention: YES Mington, it does have some Lakeland "Fru-Fru"! ;P

Ed
    Puff

10. BradNTX

Awww man, I didn't know before I bought it that it had the Lakeland OLP. I might have to trade it as an unopened tin... :oops:

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I recently ordered some Bob's Choc flake, and I didn't even notice the Lakeland essence in the first bowl I smoked, and it was a big 'ol Pete. I did notice a little bit of it in the second, mainly on the first light and when snorking. It's not overbearing by any means, but not my favorite toby ever either.

Brad, PM me your addy and I'll mail you a flake to try before you open or trade your full tin.

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

If I had thought on this for a month I couldn't have put it better, except I prefer the Samuel Gawith (which conceals whatever chocolate it may contain and doesn't make my head spin after three bowls). I finished a tin of the SG this morning and could easily continue on with another pound if I don't see something else first. :D.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Always interesting to read different people's takes on blends.

I was a bit surprised to discover that I much preferred SG's over G&H's. SG's had more chocolate taste and the latakia seemed better integrated. The G&H had an odd flavor and a decidedly broader nicotine smack. The chocolate taste was less in evidence.

Looks like if you try one, ya gotta try the other!

14. Puff The Magic

Mayor's is smoother on the lat for sure. It's what drove me to check Bob's out too. Sometimes you have to try both just for comparisons and what not! ;)

I like both and am deep with both but deeper with Bob's! Even have a Tinsky dedicated to Bob's. :D

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.