1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dirty Bear pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Splat, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splat

Splat Member

Anyone own a Dirty Bear brand pipe? AFAIK they're only on Ebay right now. Here's a link. I'm loving the design he's got up. I was killing time looking at pipes and when I saw this it just hit me in the right place. :puffy: I just ordered a sugar maple pipe after a few emails with the maker, Kurt. I had a few questions for him and he graciously answered them all. He seems like an alright guy. I'll post a review when I get the pipe and smoke a few bowls. So anyone else own a DB pipe?

Just Smitty and fogpipe like this.

2. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Man, thats really an interesting looking pipe. I wonder what he means by a 3 tier bowl?

3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I like it!!!:thu2:

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've been wondering how to acquire some manliness. Who knew it was that easy?

BradNTX, Basil Meadows, DocB and 3 others like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Let us know how the transition goes. I may want to become manly as well, as long as it's not accompanied by a Hulk-type screaming episode.

DGErwin11, jpberg and DocB like this.
  6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

berg,

I don't think you should consider gifting one to Sas. Just saying:rolleyes:

BradNTX, Basil Meadows and jpberg like this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You read my mind.

Basil Meadows and DGErwin11 like this.
  8. Splat

Splat Member

Yeah maybe the "Man up!" credo is slightly cheesy but the pipes are beautiful. Hopefully he'll be able to get the pipe in my hands by the end of this week. :thu2:

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'll stick to my elegante Prince/Apples/Billiard shapes made out of Briar ... plus the Biblical men had long hair and I just dont go for that .

BradNTX and DGErwin11 like this.
  10. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

11. Splat

Splat Member

There's a review from a buyer on da'Tube here where you can see the 3-tiered bowl. Basically it's stepped with the smallest section of the bowl being at the bottom. Actually, that guy bought 2 DB pipes and has a vid on both and says they smoke well.

12. Splat

Splat Member

Here's the reply I got from Kurt from Dirty Bear pipes:
    "Thank you for your questions, compliments, and interest in my pipes! I attached an image of the bowl of an unfinished pipe (same bowl as the finished pipes, just the pipe itself looks different). The top tier is 1", follwed by 7/8", and finally 3/4" at the bottom. The tiers don't seem to inhibit heat flow at all, but are great for learning to pack consistently. Within 20-30 bowls the cake will envelope the tiers and the bowl will be smooth (in my experience). The wood for the original Dirty Bear is basswood. I originally used basswood just to learn to shape the pipes (as it is a softer wood), but after smoking them I decided that it actually made a nice pipe wood! Against all odds it smoked relatively clean and the pipe held up very well once the cake was developed. I also have pipes that are made from sugar maple and cherry wood, if you are hesitant to buy a basswood pipe. The stems are basic bent acrylic. Someday I would like to use vulcanite, but I can't afford it at the price I sell my pipes. Please hit me up with any more questions! Have a really great day.
    -Kurt"

[​IMG]

My pipe will be from sugar maple. As to the acrylic stem I don't believe any of my pipes' stems are acrylic so it'll be a new thing for me. I'm getting my lathe set up to attempt my hand at stems. If I don't care for the acrylic maybe I can make my own down the road. I'm really looking forward to this pipe. :sh:

13. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

Hmm...I'll have to give that some thought. That makes for a good sized bowl. How much did he charge for a walnut pipe? I'm assuming that cheap one i posted the link to is the basswood that he mentioned.

14. Splat

Splat Member

I didn't see any walnut pipes listed so I've no clue.

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

so do these pipes make up for any discrepencies in one's physical attributes?
    OT

dwaugh and jpberg like this.
  16. BigB

BigB Member

Interesting bowl design. I'm curious how well that works.

I was worried he was going for the fetish market with the name "dirty bear" but it doesn't look like he is.

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Looks like he's gone in with three sizes of drill - maybe didn't have a tapered cutter!
    OT

BradNTX and jpberg like this.
  18. Splat

Splat Member

I received the pipe yesterday so shipping was quick. I like the packaging. I haven't smoked it yet because I've caught some darn stomach bug. I'm tired of chicken soup and water. I've been up around the clock for 26 hours now because I couldn't sleep at night from sleeping all day. Anyway, the pipes's a beauty to look at. Kinda 70's freehand but not as contrived and definitely better looking. The natural maple color is a nice difference from typical pipe colors. I hope she smokes as good as she looks.

19. Splat

Splat Member

Alright kids, I'm happy to report this Dirty Bear pipe smokes wonderfully! :bdance: I've had 6 bowls in it and even though it's nowhere near broken in yet it doesn't smoke hot and she stays lit easily. The walls are pretty thick yet I'm amazed how light the pipes is. I just took the dog for a good 30min walk and clenched almost the entire time and don't have an aching jaw. :puffy: I can definitely taste the maple wood yet I don't mind it. The maple doesn't befoul the taste for me. I know maple isn't supposedly as good as briar for a long-lasting pipe but hopefully this pipe will hang in there. BTW, it didn't even dawn on me until I needed to jump out of my car at the store. This is an excellent, and my first, sitter! Just plop it down on the center console and we're good to go. Never thought I'd own a pipe branded "Dirty Bear" but I'm now glad I do. :)

bubbagump likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.