Disappointment..

Russell Hartman

Stay Silver
Patron
Is there anything worse in pipe smoking, than saving cash and making plans to buy a nice pipe, only to get it home and it smokes horribly? This happened to me this past summer.
Here's what I highly suggest. First off--if the pipe is a brand new pipe, and you truly like it aesthetically, stem, balance--do not give up just yet. If the pipe's draw, and interior work is acceptable--Do not give up just yet. Try other blends, and packing methods. Smoke the pipe, and continue to give it a chance. A new pipe no matter who, or what name is on it can sometimes do better with certain blends. Some pipes after some serious smoking over time can come around. Get a good 30-40 bowls through it, and then re-evaluate things.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
When I got my first "good" pipe (I don't mean expensive, I mean "good"), I started to wonder what the hell was wrong with my other pipes. Then I bought a whole crap pile of pipes, hoping for more that worked as well - mostly I was disappointed.

I cannot for the life of me understand the "a pipe is a pipe" crowd who see no functional difference between a great pipe and an unforgiving/poor pipe. And the saddest of all is that it's not THAT hard to make a pretty decent smoker. But companies just don't bother. Talking to you Chacom.

When I buy now, I buy only a couple of brands, brands that have proven to have a philosophy in line with my own - trouble is, they are mostly pretty expensive.

Ozark

Patron
"Talking to you Chacom. "

I have two. Elite 77 Zulus. We get along OK, in fact I like them. Has Chacom ever made a decent pipe???
I do have pipes that spit back at me. That is a problem. I am more like Elvis, he shot TVs, I execute the guilty pipe and send the bill to the maker for the bullet, like the ChiComs who probably made my Chacom.
RTS117HI-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin Keith

Professional Kibbitzer
I have bought a few pipes that falls into this category, but the pipe I am talking about specifically is a Karl Erik that I paid $130 bucks for. I know for some that isn't much money, but to me it is. I don't like throwing away that much money on something that doesn't deliver.
$130 bucks ain't chicken feed brother. If you can you should send it back and get a refund. If you bought it last summer you probably can't return it anyway. Where did you get it?

Russell Hartman

Stay Silver
Patron
I have had pipes that were not for me because of poor balance, and stem issues--too heavy, etc.. However I have had few that were not for me.
If after an honest chance of smoking/trying some different blends with quite a few bowls, and I had fairly dry tobacco, and packed right I still got really wet/gurgle, and the pipe got really hot all after the pipe was pretty well broken in--they found new homes.
I have always been one that believes that much of the bad things can be attributed to me, and not the pipe. I however have had pipes that I simply could not explain why they smoked wet, and hot for no real defined reason. When I got my first real decent pipe where all aspects of drilling, balance, button were spot on (a BST) this was an AH-HA moment for me. Going backwards is not an option now. This is why you hear me bragging up Sasquatch, and Maddis. I have yet to have one of their pipes disappoint me, and this is why I own quite a few of them. It is very disappointing when one saves up, and spends a nice chunk of change on a nice chunk of Briar only to be disappointed. We all have to define what it is that we want, and expect in a chosen pipe(s). When you find it--it's awesome--when you make a choice hoping to find it, and you don't-- especially when it costs a pretty penny--well that can be both disappointing, and costly. I truly hope things work out for you with this pipe--I really do. If not--move it out of the stable.

Ozark Wizard

I rarely run across a briar that I like how it smokes, initially.......

Yah, a lot of it is my fault. I smoke a lot of flakes, 'cause I like 'em. They come damp for the most part, and I don't like dried out flakes. I think they lose flavour too dry. I tend to fold and stuff too. Another recipe for poor behaviour of the pipe. I have, well, a few pipes, and I rotate them. This makes it take forever to build a cake, or break them in in any way. Mia culpa. Thusly, I don't spend a lot of money on new briar. Now bear in mind, I have only recently aquired a filtered briar. That might solve a lot of issues, but I'll need to start getting filters. Dissapointment? Yah, I've had it. Pretty is pretty, but I've been burned by what I found attractive. (Not just pipes)

I'd second the suggestion of farming out the break in part. Just get a second bit/stem for the smoker to use.....

MakDragon

Wizard of PSF
Patron
When I got my first "good" pipe (I don't mean expensive, I mean "good"), I started to wonder what the hell was wrong with my other pipes. Then I bought a whole crap pile of pipes, hoping for more that worked as well - mostly I was disappointed.

I cannot for the life of me understand the "a pipe is a pipe" crowd who see no functional difference between a great pipe and an unforgiving/poor pipe. And the saddest of all is that it's not THAT hard to make a pretty decent smoker. But companies just don't bother. Talking to you Chacom.

When I buy now, I buy only a couple of brands, brands that have proven to have a philosophy in line with my own - trouble is, they are mostly pretty expensive.
All pipes should be a good as the one you just made me!
PHENOMENAL!