1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Discovered pipes on Ebay, wife is going to kill me

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by hagbard, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hagbard

hagbard Member

The title just about says it all. Right now as I type I'm bidding on a variety or pipes. They don't cost much individually but when you tally up 10 or so it can become expensive!
    Damn! I just "won" one as I was typing this!
    Now I gotta pay for it :whistle:

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

hagbard, the better seller combine shipping so that might save you a few $

congrats on the win though :whistle:

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

You're bound to lose some of them. No one bats a thousand.

4. hagbard

hagbard Member

But do I want to loose any of them at all? :whistle:

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

it happened to me once. four auctions in one day, set the bids and walked, got all four. ever since i only bid on one thing at a time.

hag, do what i do. make the missus custodian of the password. tell her "i'm allowed to look at ebay as much as i want, but if i want to watch/bid on something, you have to sign me in." its amazing how much a cheapo bastard like me can spend in a short period of time without outside oversight.

good luck.

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'm just going off my record I guess. I've bid what I thought to be reasonable sums on dozens of pipes...only ever won one. That one happened to be a pretty mint Savinelli Punto Oro for $20 shipped so I'm ok with it. :whistle:

7. hagbard

hagbard Member

Right now I'm bidding on the most appealing briar I've ever seen. I've actually seen some like it before but for a lot of $ so I hope I get this one as I don't have $250 for a new pipe. I also just bought some pipes (which the wife doesn't know about) and a new RAID controller for the server in the house (and she hasn't found out about that yet either).

:groucho:

8. pottsy

pottsy Member

Which pipe on ebay is it? :groucho:

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I feel your pain, Haggle. I have avoided ebay for a long while but, somehow, ended up with two pokers this weekend. I was weak...

10. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

So far I've been relativel good on E-bay......I've only won 5 bids so far...heh

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I think we all can relate to the pleasure and then the wrath of eBay. I always put some money into PayPal if I am going to look at pipes, then the wife never knows about it.

12. Barako

Barako Member

Waiting on 2 pipes that I won 2 days ago, will post when they arrive. Ebay is very addictive indeed. :groucho:

13. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

I've shopped on ebay for plenty of items, just never thought about buying a pipe on there. You guys are tempting me. Just one question : Do the auctions get snipers towards the end like other auctions?

14. hoss

hoss Member

All i've got to say is..."slowly back away from the keys." Ebay's a slippery slope!

To answer your question about snipers - you betcha. :velho:

15. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

16. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

There's also ebay sellers with "buy it now" pipes available. In the lower price range, a fellow PSFer called irishlefty usually has a bunch and that's a great way to build the collection on a budget. Every pipe I've bought from him has smoked like a champ.

17. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Moi? https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif (Two pokers last weekend in the final three seconds. WTH...)

18. pottsy

pottsy Member

Not sure what the griping is all about. It's an auction, the final bidder wins, pretty simple.

19. hagbard

hagbard Member

Hey! I'm one of those guys! :whistle:

You bet I'm running a sniper right this minute to get that pipe I want! I'll be pained if I lose it. I've seen pipes like it before but not too often and they always cost an arm and a leg.

So I'll probably loose it any way.:thumbsd:

20. hagbard

hagbard Member

Ha! I won! It's funny ya know? In the last 8 seconds the number of bids went from 8 to 15. It actually might have been less than 8 seconds. So I'm not the only one running a sniper. Either that or other people entered a "maximum bid", which amounts to about the same thing as far as I'm concerned.
    Well I'm a happy man now. Of all the briars I've seen, this is the one I want to have hanging outta my mouth or to hold in my hand.

Now really all I want is a calabash, a dirty meer (you know? the kind with people doin' it or something like that) and an a meer or two that are not too fancy but smoke really well.

EDIT:
    Here it is:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140430449837&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:1123

What the hell do you call a pipe like this any way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.