Discovery about Grandad...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by telltime, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

You all may recall a couple of things I've said often about my grandfather:

1 - I remembered him smoking exclusively a blend of Tinderbox tobaccos for as long as I could remember back. I remember going to the Tinderbox with him in the 70s with him on several occasions and even tried, pretty successfully I think, to duplicate the blend he smoked because I liked the smell of it so much.

2 - I inherited his pipes and some of them I use and some of them I have kept untouched (cake, bite marks, and all). And you also may recall that I ended up having several of the Dunhill's I got from his collection professionally cleaned and sanitized last year.

Tonight, I took one of his old Dunhill's that I had never smoked before and loaded it with Dunhill Flake. The pipe is a beautiful, smooth finish Zulu and it was one that I had cleaned last year but had still not smoked until tonight...

After rubbing out a flake, loading it with care, and heading out to the deck with the pipe and a glass of water I plopped down in a chair and lit up. Imagine my shock and surprise when a GHOST appeared!!! Only this time the ghost was from a familiar taste of a toby that I was shocked to taste coming from a pipe that my grandfather smoked. LATAKIA!!! (or at least something that had latakia in it)

I couldn't believe it. I was sure that (during my lifetime) Grandad never smoked anything other than what he got at the Tinderbox. Not only that, as many of you know I HATE latakia!

Now, I did finish the pipe, but now my stomach is upset and I feel a bit nauseated (I'm sure most of it's in my head from my initial and terrible experience with this stuff), but I'm determined to smoke a few bowls through this pipe and get rid of that awful taste.

I'm not looking for any advice, sympathy, etc. I just thought I'd share something that I found kind of humorous that I discovered about my Grandad tonight. He must have dedicated at least one pipe to a different blend! Now I'm wondering about some of his other pipes...

Hope everyone has a great evening. Me? I'm off to brush my teeth with lots and lots of toothpaste and then straight to bed to see if this queasiness passes! And next time I call my grandmother I'm definitely going to ask her if she remembers Grandad ever smoking this horrid stuff. She may be 92, but she still has a memory like a steel trap!

Good night folks!

Pschoppy48, DocB and Waino like this.

2. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

So GrandPa knew his tobacco after all...:xd:

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, Gramps is chuckling at you now.......good stuff.

4. Waino

Waino Active Member

Ghosts... That stuff is something!

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Don't Look at this as a Ghost. Look at it as a fond memory of your Granddad. I mean Latakia is a love hate type thing. I will be honest with you. I wish I had a memory this well of my Grand parents, Beale.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Glad it was Gramps who snuck the lat in on ya and not Puff....... oh, btw, I have some flake for you to try ;)

He sent you a message ya know?! Smokin' the ghost of "Grampa's Lat-bombs" may prove to be a chore. Wished I'd seen your face when you realized it.

Ed
    Puff

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Great Latakia's Ghost! Is that the only pipe of his that had the ghost?

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Youre gonna have to tuff it out . Smoke a few bowls of strong Burley through it and make it yer own . A zulu is so comfortable to walk around with ... and a Dunhill no less ! Bite the bullet man :th1:

telltime likes this.
  9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The best way to honor your gramps is to smoke Old Ironsides in that zulu. (The younger generation...always opting for the easy way out). :)

10. telltime

telltime Active Member

It's the first I've had with Latakia... there may be others as I got about 20 or so pipes of his (eight of which are Dunhills). I smoked three of his old DHs for years, but they all tasted more vanillaish, as that was part of his "blend." Now I'm wondering how many others will have a lat bomb waiting for me...

11. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

My Pee-Paw was also a pipe smoker. He died when I was four but I can still remember him sitting in his red recliner with a pipe in his hand.

One of my Uncles still has all his pipes, I have no idea what he has....

12. telltime

telltime Active Member

Oh yeah, I will. The Zulu is my favorite shape. The first briar pipe that I ever bought (a Chacom in 1989) was/is this shape (I still have it). Two more of his old pipes are Zulus and one of them did NOT have the lat ghost. The other I still have never fired up, but it must have been one of his favorites as the tanshell (blasted) finish is much smoother than others from all the handling.

The other Zulu that I did add to my rotation years ago because, frankly, it didn't really need a cleaning. I wasn't worried about "germs" when I got these pipes... after all the man was my Grandad. But some of them he just didn't clean often and the cake was really heavy. I still have quite a few like that, but they are his old Kaywoodies and such. The Dunhills that needed it have now all been cleaned, so I'll be finding out more about what he smoked as I put them in rotation. I will say, though, that is a slow process for me. I still have pipes of my own that I love to smoke, and I still buy pipes occasionally, so they make it in to rotation when they make it in... no hurries just "because." I enjoy the ones that are in plenty.

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

Yingyang: All the teasing in the WORLD wouldn't get me to do it!! I suffered plenty with that Latakia last night and my aim is to honor him by caring (read: enjoying) these pipes without :puke:!

As far as being a younger generations, again the teasing won't work. I'm too old to be sensitive about my age. As a matter of fact, I think you and I are close in age! :toast:

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Actual, or mental? ;)

15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

He may have had a second blend, an out of doors lat-blend, that he only smoked when he was outside and was by himself. Evidently my grandfather had such a smoke that he really loved, but everybody else hated so he only smoked it when he was all alone, working outside on the yard or something. Your grandfather might have had such a blend. I'd guess that there are probably a couple more lat ghosts in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.