DIY moisture discs

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by James Harr, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harr

James Harr Member

I am cheap. Let's get that out of the way right up front. Unfortunately, I have not been able to leverage my cheapness into wealth, but that's another story. What my cheapness does do is fuel creativity. Why buy it when I can make it? So, to my most recent cheap-driven thought...

I am a 4-5 bowl/week smoker, so it takes a while for me to get through an ounce. During that time, I have been keeping tinned tobacco in the tin and bulk tobacco in a latch sealed jars with good silicone seals. Even still, my tobacco is (slowly) drying out too much before I can smoke it all. I have a couple of old humidor disks, but they are all rusty and nasty. So I decided to crack one open and see what the magic was. Guess what. It is florists oasis foam. I happen to have a block of this stuff from another hobby where I need a humid environment. So here is my question. Would it make sense to get a small zip lock (like jewler's size ~1"x2") and poke pin holes in it, then put a piece of oasis foam in there soaked with water or water/PG like for cigars. Maybe throw in a button magnet so that it would stick to the top of a mason jar?

Am I crazy or crazy like a fox??

J--

jdto and ComputerGuy like this.

2. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

I use a broken piece of pottery soaked in water inside my tobacco jar to rehydrate tobacco

3. James Harr

James Harr Member

Wow! That is even cheaper!! I bow to your frugality sir. :nwor:

jdto and TRAVIS like this.
  4. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

I´ll definitely try that broken pottery! I just found out my "old potato trick" can give me mold... :-( Don´t want any of that around the tobacco. Thanks a lot for sharing these great ideas!

5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I've used a piece of chalk but the days of blackboards at schools is long over and chalk is getting scarce.

ol gto likes this.
  6. Stoked

Stoked Member

I've used clean fresh cotton balls placed inside of a small vitamin container, and to that I'll add distilled water. I've never had a problem with off taste or mold when I've placed this inside of a humidor (for cigars as well).

But to answer your question, how I would do it is like this...

I'd take the tops of two vitamin jar tops, the same size, and I'd cut the foam with an exacto knife so it fit inside the diameter of the top. Then I'd drill small holes in the one and then place it together with the other (the foam would be cut to the thickness of a little less than twice the thickness of one top). I'd keep the tops together with duct tape all the way around the diameter. Then I'd glue a small magnet on the side without holes, attach the other end of the magnet to the underside of the mason jar top.

If you wanted to get fancier, you could use velcro to keep the two tops together instead of duct tape. You could also use velcro instead of using magnets.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

This is what I use also; I just toss a chunk of it in my tobacco jar, pouch or tub.

8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

James, I'm up in Wrightwood (much drier than San Diego) the mason/canning jars work quite well, pretty much airtight.

James Harr likes this.
  9. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

If you use the floral foam, use distilled water to prevent algae

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Is that what the distilled water is all about?

11. James Harr

James Harr Member

yeah, and your discs will last longer if they are not full of minerals from the water. Chlorine can also add flavor to the tobacco. Our San Diego water is heavily chlorinated.

12. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

YEP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.