1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do Big Pipes With Deep Chamber Depth Need To Be Smoked "full"?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisB, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I like the feel of big pipes, but when I see a chamber depth of 2+ inches, I get a little concerned. Is it a coherent thing to smoke these pipes in half bowl increments?
    thanks.

2. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I have a rather large poker and do not always fill it to the brim. Smoke em as you see fit. It can be a pain to light when the tobacco is deep in the chamber though.

bubbagump likes this.
  3. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

You don't have to. As Summit said though...for an initial light on a bowl that deep...it might be a bit of a PITA. I fill my Baronet (big chamber) up all the way because I get a kick out of seeing how much tobacco I can stuff in there.:D

sonarman likes this.
  4. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have at least 4 pipes with very large and deep bowls. The only time I fill any of them is when I am sitting down to a movie. Most of the time I only fill them about half way. A good butane lighter allows you to direct the flame deep enough into the bowl.

I just prefer big bowls.

bubbagump likes this.
  5. inkybat

inkybat Member

I do that with my bent bulldog sometimes, I'll leave it out to cool down and return to it sometime later.

6. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Is it half full or half empty? I think that's the real question.

This is part of the joy of pipe smoking as opposed to any other kind of smoking IMO. You smoke only what you want to. If you want half a bowl, only load half. Even 1/3 if you so fancy. I just wouldnt do it with a strict regularity or else you might create a goofy and uneven cake.

7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I own some massive pipes. I do not always fill them up. Smoke them how ever you want. The most important part is that you enjoy it.

Basil Meadows likes this.
  8. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

Pipes provide options.

You can fill a pipe, smoke part of it, and put it aside to come back to later. They aren't like cigars where this can ruin the rest of the smoke. If you let it sit for a few hours you'll be fine when you come back to it, it will be just as good as when fresh. Of course, if you let it sit too long (I wouldn't smoke it the next day) it will dry out a bit too much.

You can fill it halfway for a shorter smoke if that is what you want. Similarly, you can load the pipe, change your mind, and empty the extra tobacco (you won't be out more than 20 or 3o cents unlike if you changed your mind and put out a cigar). Like others have said, you may end up with an uneven cake, but a reamer can always fix that.

My favorite solution is to have many pipes. I have large pipes that I only smoke when I'm in the mood for and have time for a long smoke. They don't get a lot of use, but they are there for when I want them. I have small pipes for when I want something quick. Then, most of my pipes are "normal" sized pipes of varying bowl sizes for the rest of the time.

BurghBriar and Old Codger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.