Do OTC's improve with age?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Shootinok, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I tried some Carter Hall the other day and had the WOW effect occur. Now I'm wondering if it will cellar well. In other words, will it be the same after a couple years, will it improve, or ?

Last years Box pass showed me the difference a couple years on Virginia tobaccos can make.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

That's a good question. I'm curious myself.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Are you sure you have discounted other factors-new, different pipe, smoking style, condition, weather...I'm in no position to argue, just wondering essentially the same. I've recently had a wow factor with CH too...but I chalk it up to a new briar. (Even if it was aged CH, where in the heck do you prove that, besides buying and storing it yourself?)

You sure smoking straight Latakia isn't toying with your tastebuds??? :0laugh:

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I was gifted a sample of a dark, fragrant tobacco, almost black, funny little shreds. I was not told what it was. I stuffed a good pipe, lit up, and enjoyed a tremendous smoke. It was rich, smooth, sweet... everything you could ask in a top quality pipe tobacco. When pressed, I think I guessed that it was a ripe sample of Old Gowrie.

Nah... it was "Velvet" from about 1983.

So some OTCs certainly age just wonderfully.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Interesting...Thanks, Sas!

I wonder if this works on RYO weed too...I could squirrel away a bajillion pounds by tomorrow just by cushion diving my couch for pennies. (Put THAT in you pipe and smoke it, Ed!!!)

(Actually, don't.)

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Supposedly, aging doesn't do much for burley blends which covers most OTCs, not that aging would harm them either. I'm planning on stocking up on CH & PA and I figure it will keep just fine but I don't expect aging to change it much.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

While burleys may not improve with age - they do keep just fine in a storage jar if you are just buying them against non availability or price increases ( which I am! ) I'm smoking some Prince Albert now which has been in a jar for over nine months and I cannot say that it tastes any different from when it was just bought.

Hope this helps

Gerry

8. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I have a can of middletons cherry blend from back around 1997 it's just as good today as it was in 97,i don't smoke it often but i can't see that it got any worse.

9. loosechange

loosechange Member

I don't cellar tobacco so to speak, but I have bought old dusty tubs of Prince Albert before, how old they were I honestly cannot say, but when opened and smoked they didn't taste any different to me, so I'd say burley doesn't really change better with age, just stays the same.

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't know about your basic drug store blends maturing over time like wine, but they do improve if you take the tobacco out of the plastic can it came in, then transfer it to a large glass or acrylic storage container. Leave it sit open for about a day or so. Then transfer it as required to a proper glass or ceramic tobacco jar and drop one of those cheap little humidifier thingies (the ones about as big around as a quarter that you soak in water).

When I do that, the funky chemical taste goes away, and they become quite enjoyable. Just remember to keep soaking that little humidifier thingy on a regular basis, and keep your pipe clean. Another trick is to substitute apple slices for the humidifier thing. It takes a big chunk of apple to do it, but it imparts a wonderful apple flavor. (Note - do not try this with English blends, oriental blends, or Cavendish blends because, in my opinion, the effect is just horrid. Just burly or other straight blends).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.