1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do these pipes have vulcanite or acrylic stems?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cabby, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabby

cabby Member

I'm having a tough time finding out if a given pipe has a vulcanite or acrylic stem. I find a lot of contradictory information online.

Can anyone tell me whether the following pipes have vulcanite or acrylic stems. Also please let me know how sure you are about your answers.

Bjarne Viking classic
    Stanwell classic blast
    Savinelli toscana pipes
    Savinelli pisa pipes
    Savinelli florence pipes
    Savinelli venezia pipes

Thanks a lot!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

All acrylic exept Pisa would be my educated guess. Smokingpipes.com lists the stem material, for example.

All Stanwells produced in the last... long time, are acrylic, and I think Bjarnes are too, but I'm not totally sure about the vikings.

3. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I believe the viking series are equipped with vulcanite stems.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I would think the classic blast would have to have vulcanite ... wouldnt be classic w/ acrylic

5. ryan65

ryan65 Member

good point ruff lol

6. cabby

cabby Member

Thanks for the responses.

I have looked at smokingpipes.com, but have found a few contradictions about bit materials, that's why I posted here.

I own the viking classic and stanwell classic, and also another pipe that is for sure an acrylic bit. I don't really notice a huge difference in the three bits. None of them has started to oxidize and they seem equally shiny and hard. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between vulcanite and acrylic? Can anyone else agree/disagree with the above comments so I can feel more sure about the material types?

I was particularly interested in the venezia pipe because I wanted to get one of those but I want to have at least one pipe with a vulcanite bit so I can see which one I prefer, so I might get a pisa one instead.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah acrylic/lucite is real hard, kind has a sharp "click" when you tap it, and basically is almost impervious to teeth marks. It's ultra deep glossy black.

Vulcanite is less black, less hard, less impervious... it literally feels softer in the teeth. I find if I "click" it with my teeth it makes a much "clumpier" noise than the acrylic. It is (or becomes) a duller sheen with handling. And acrylic stem just stays shiny deep black.

8. cabby

cabby Member

I see. I have a feeling that all my pipes are acrylic then, since there is not a MUCH clumpier noise when I bite on any of them, and they all feel about the same hardness. I think there are small differences in the sound they make when tapped, but probably more due to differences in size and shape. None of them have any teeth marks, and they all are a deep, glossy black.

So I'm pretty sure I've figured out the bjarne viking classic and stanwell classic. Now can anyone for sure say about the different savinellis listed above, venezia, pisa, toscana, and florence? I would appreciate anyone who owns these pipes to weigh in, because I don't have access to these pipes to inspect.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Also... vulcanite stems turn gray when left out in the sun for too long.

and I know this how? Found this out the other day when I left my pipe in the car... https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsd.gif

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

D'OH!
    :thumb:

I have an old briar with a vulcanite I believe. It's always kind of a dark black/gray matt color...but real easy to hold on to.

11. cabby

cabby Member

I contacted several retailers to find out more about the savinelli pipes, and it seems that the pisa is vulcanite but the florence and venezia are acrylic. No word on the toscana yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.