Do You Guys Like Billy Budd?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dunhill93, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

I have some billy budd and I smoked a few bowls of it but really can't seem to find a love for it. there are few people that swear by it however PipeFriend CHS from youtube and a couple of other people that I have spoken to on this forum love it. It just seems to have too much latakia and not enough other components because I predominately just taste smokiness with that faint wisp of a cigar note, no burleys and no virginias come through. How does billy budd do for you?

2. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I like it. I think it tastes best in a cob.

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I picked up 4 ozs a couple weeks ago. So far it is... ok at best. I am not loving it. It comes across as harsh and at times bitter to me. So far I have either not figured it out or it just isn't for me.

4. huffandpuff

huffandpuff Member

BillyBud is my every day smoke I like strong flaverful blends Lots of Latakia but then again ive been smoking pipe for over 30 years Pirate Cake & Engine 99 are also Lat bombs give it a chance it may grow on you.

5. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

You're right, it is latakia heavy. The more experience you have with heavy latakia blends, the more tolerant of it you become.

I like Billy Budd a lot, it is a regular in my rotation. Every once in a while, the stars align in just the wrong way (maybe I pack it wrong, maybe I'm smoking it too hot, maybe I'm using the wrong pipe, I haven't figured it out yet) and the cigar leaf really dominates the blend for me, and it just tastes like a cheap cigar....but it's really rare that it comes through like that for me, most of the time the cigar leaf is a nice complement to the rest of the blend.

6. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I like it but don't get much cigar from it.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

It isn't the latakia that I don't like. I like Pirate Kake and many other blends that are very heavy in latakia. There is something else to it that just does not get along well with me.

8. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I like Billy Budd.

9. user2453

user2453 Member

I Sony think cigar flavor and latakia are a good match. I almost ordered this a couple times but I always hesitated at the last minute.

10. user2725

user2725 Active Member

It's good, not real strong on the cigar side, nothing like Purple Cow which I didn't care for, BB's definitely worth a try.

11. user2453

user2453 Member

What is purple cow?

12. user2725

user2725 Active Member

It's another C&D cigar blend.

13. user2453

user2453 Member

C&D have alot to offer. I'll give BB a shot and maybe a couple others

user2725 likes this.
  14. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Mississippi Mud is another good one IMO.

15. user2453

user2453 Member

I don't know...the beer isn't anything I would buy again! I didn't realize how many tinned blends C&D produced. They have some good names.

16. user2725

user2725 Active Member

The blend isn't anything like the beer, trust me :byg:, besides if you didn't like it I'd trade you something for it.

17. user2453

user2453 Member

Sounds good. Looks like I'll need to revise my order. I was thinking of giving Mars a try because they have a couple Esotericas I heard good things about. Plus flat rate shipping. Looks like I'll need to revise my order.

18. Russ

Russ Member

I actually use Billy Budd as an RYO for a little something different. Honestly its has a whole different taste when smoked that way. I like it better as a RYO than in a pipe.

19. user2453

user2453 Member

This could become a whole new topic. Im sure it's been spoken about but I like an occasional RYO. What's good?

20. Russ

Russ Member

As far as pipe tobacco in RYO i only use BB. As far as RYO tobacco I use OHM Bold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.