1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Do you smoke them?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Basil Meadows, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Ok, serious question.
    Went to the Expo in Raleigh and saw some very gorgous pipes, very artistic! And one I picked up to look at, the young man at the table informed me that the price had been marked DOWN to just $1900 for the Expo! (With shacking hands, I gently placed it back on the table). Have also saw many works of art online. Like Steampunks and such. The question is, Do people actual smoke these works of art? or is just owning one like owning a great painting? Something to sit in a display case and admire? Some that I've seen would seem very difficult to try to smoke. Any ideas?

Rewster66 likes this.

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I have no use for a pipe that I cannot or will not smoke. In my opinion if a pipe does not smoke well, then all that artistic effort is for naught.
    I know everything so that pretty much settles it.:)

3. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

LOL! Have to agree, guess if you can smack down a couple thousand for a pipe, smoking it wouldn't be a problem! Kinda like going into a Bently dealership and asking what kind of mileage it gets..if your concerned about the mileage, your in the wrong place! But they sure are purdy to look at!

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

If I bought it I'd smoke it, after all, why own a pipe if you aren't going to enjoy the taste of fine bacca through it?

Basil Meadows likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Some people buy pipes to smoke, some buy them to collect and admire, and some do both depending on the piece.

The most prolific meerschaum pipe collector I know is Ben Rapaport, a non-smoker. I also know a gent who owns in excess of 600 pipes and has smoked them all (although several of them are not often smoked).

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

I don't collect anything I can't use for it's intended purpose, same applies to pipe, razors and hats.

Johnny Dingo, Preacher1611 and shadow like this.
  7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

People have different reasons for collecting so I can imagine a person having pipes they don't intend to smoke. I couldn't do that. The more beautiful, interesting, or expensive the thing is, the stronger the desire to see how it smokes. If I got rich and obtained something of historical value, such as Robert E. Lee's claw and egg meerschaum, I would be duty bound to protect it but still, I would occasionally smoke it on special nights, in silent honour of the fallen on both sides.

Basil Meadows and Preacher1611 like this.
  8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Use or just display: That is the question!
    It goes for many things that attract the notion of collecting.
    I myself couldn't have a pipe and not smoke it! But I know of folks who see rare and expensive pipes as a form of investment.... good luck to them, I say!:bing:

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I have never paid that much for a pipe, but I have a few pipes that were sold for that much when new (I bought 'em used). I smoke them, all of them. I don't have a single pipe in my "collection" that I wouldn't smoke, or I wouldn't have it (I'd have more tobacco).

And if someone wants to send me that Sixten pipe sold for $4k last week, I'll smoke that too.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I would never pay that for a pipe, but to answer the question: Yes, I would smoke it.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I have a couple of extremely rare, collectable MM cobs - circa 1955, and I take them from the safe most weeks and desicrate them mercilessly with Condor!
    OT

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

*Country Club Laugh* :)

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

If I could plunk down that kind of cabbage for a pipe, you better believe I'd smoke it. But if I had that kind of cabbage I would do something a whole lot cooler than buying a pipe or a car with it. I've always wanted my own catapult, for instance. Or dropping a 747 full of bouncy-balls over a major city. The list goes on...

14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I have pipes I smoke and pipes I "keep". Generally my smokers are post WWII while the cabinet denizens are older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.