Does all virginia tobacco taste the same?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JoeSmall, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Yes! That the meaning! They sell handmade No filter pipes and they try to convince the New smokers via "fancy style" posts in pipe forum. It's very easy to recognize them,they say the same rubbish "there is no pipe culture in Greece,there are no serious pipe stores,the pipe smokers don't know anything about tobacco except cheap Aromatics that's why they use filters" and other s@it like this.
    They never proved to the others why you MUST smoke virginia ONLY in a non filter pipe,they never dare to say that in a USA or UK forum because they have no evidence to support that.When i am saying that straight to them via post you know what happens? A moderator [friend of them and in my opinion bribed with a pipe] erase my posts or threat me for a Ban! This is one of the reasons that i am very happy here,no "wise guys" or "experts" like those stupids who they remember Greece only when it's time to make money from young smokers.
    By the way we smoke here [expect Virginia] and some Burley tobaccos,there are no fanatic members but we try it for experience.The USA market is a very good source for us. [​IMG]

2. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Do you have experience with flake tobacco? If so, as suggested, Dunhill Flake, a McClleland flake or McCranies red flake would be a good starting point.

If you don't have experience with flakes,
    I would start with a ribbon cut like McCranies Red Ribbon or McClleland 5100. Flakes can be a PITA if not prepped properly.

Just my $.02

Morse, p120d16y and JoeSmall like this.
  3. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

One thing. How new to pipe smoking are you? As I've not seen this mentioned, but if you just started smoking a pipe a month or two ago, you're going to get bit with about anything. You've not developed the full technique of pipe smoking yet, if this is in fact the case. Blends that bit me even though I was sure I was puffing lightly, don't bite me at all anymore almost a year later. VA's will bite you until you get the technique down. As MentorBV has mentioned. It's really all in the slow puff, letting the flavor very very slowly draw to you. Don't go puffing the pipe pulling clouds of smoke. Your pipe should maintain a trickle of smoke barely looking like it's lit. And over time, you feel the heat of the bowl, and can judge just how big of a cherry is going just by the flavor profile in your mouth, and the heat of your pipe.

User4408 and JoeSmall like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Back when I was an ignorant pipe snob, I had reached the point where I gave pipe smoking little thought beyond what the "experts" told me I should like. There were at least a 100 "musturbations" (yes, that's a nod to Albert Ellis) about pipe smoking that I subscribed to. Then I grew-up. I now smoke what ever I want, with no thought for anybody else's approval. Aside from having at least two pipes for rotational or dedication purposes (and even that advice can be taken overboard), there are no "musterbations" that I subscribe to any more.

My uncle Danny was a contented pipe smoker, and his smoking kit never included more than two cobs, a pouch of either Velver ot Granger, some matches or a disposable butane lighter, and a pen knife. He did everything "wrong" according to many self-appointed experts, but he still managed to enjoy pipe smoking for a good 60 years or so. (I suspect he was buried with a cob in his gob). I agree with Mentor: the "authorities" can go piss up a rope, cuz their advice to smoke "X"-type of tobacco, in "Y"-type of pipe, made by "Z" manufacturer ultimately has no more merit than my (or anybody else's) advice that a tobacco and pipe combination should reflect nothing other than what the pipe smoker likes and was in the mood for at the time.

5. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

About 3 months now and while I'm not considering abandoning VA's I am considering holding off on smoking more until I have more experience for this reason.

Morse and p120d16y like this.
  6. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

I'm not writing this because I'm a huge fan of GL Pease but for all you guy's that are missing something while smoking VA or just want to experience something different in a Virginia try Laurel Heights, dedicate a pipe to it and smoke it in the morning, I promise you it is an absolute pleasure, no hay no bite and its easy to fill a pipe with, great for the beginner and the more experienced ones, oh I am in no way affiliated with GL Pease, just love his tobacco!

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Laurel Heights is one of the Pease blends that I've been considering. I might just have to order a couple of tins this payday.

Morse, Brit abroad and JoeSmall like this.
  8. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Trying to infer that all Va's taste the same, is like inferring that all pizza tastes the same (If you want a real eye-opening experience about the loose definition of the word "pizza" visit Japan sometime). There's little doubt that Va's are often described as having the flavor of slightly sweet hay, and this may generally be true of light Va's, but then you throw a blend like C&D Briar Fox into the mix, and the term "Virginia" becomes much more ambiguous and hard to define. I think it's good to have a somewhat academic understanding of underlying tobacco characteristics, but ultimately every blend is different. Even something as unique and strong as Perique takes on different dimensions, depending on how it's blended with other tobaccos.

User4408, p120d16y and JoeSmall like this.
  9. ericwinpa

ericwinpa Member

I started smoking pipes 7 years ago. I began to do so because my father smoked them for 70 plus years. After smoking briars and meerschaums for 4 years I stopped because I moved to another area and I got back to cigarette smoking because it was an easy fix for a smoke and convenient. Two years ago I started getting back into pipes again. I concentrated on Virginia tobacco blends. RTOdhner makes an excellent point....when I started smoking pipe tobacco again I spent hours reading reviews and looking for reccomendations regarding Virginia pipe blends. I tried so many of them and I never got to the point where there was one that stood out above the rest. So I thought..."hmmmm all these excellent reccomendations and to me they all taste .....ok". What I have done to discern the many types of Virginias was to pick one and smoke it daily and concentrate on it. I have found that by doing so I began to notice the intricate differences between blends. Another thing I note is that smoking blends in a briar and meerschaum is different. Certain blends taste better in meerschaums to me and others have tasted better in briars.

It's interesting that over a year of doing this that my favorite blend has become Peter Stokebyes Navy Flake which is predominately a Virginia blend with a bit of perique. I tried it in an Altinook Calabsah meerschaums and it tasted good. Then I tried it in a CAO billiard meerschaum and it tasted even better. I then tried it in a Savinelli Dublin in which I thought it was ok in taste but not as good as in the meerschaum. Then I went and tried it in a CAO bent apple and it was excellent.

So...what did I learn? By trying blends in different pipes and styles of pipes can make a huge difference in taste and enjoyment of the palate. For me it was just concentrating on one blend at a time in the different pipe types and styles and it was a fun journey to do so.

So now one of my favorite daily smokes has become Navy Flake from Peter Stokebye in my CAO bent apple. I smoke it daily and love it in my bent apple meer! So when I make another purchase of tobacco I will definitely buy many ounces of this blend because I found a nice and enjoyable smoke in one of my pipes that I can smoke anytime and enjoy. To me that is paramount.

Now I have started to try another Virginia blend; Sam Gawaith...Best Brown Flake. Tastes great and hay like in my Savinelli Dublin but in my CAO Meerschaum billiard not as good as it tastes in my briar billiard.

So...maybe this blend will not taste as good in meerschaums as much as it does in briars?!?! I don't know yet so I will try it in my ALtinook meer.

Regardless...I taste differences in Virginia blends and it is dependant upon the pipe type often. I do know that after many days of smoking Peter Stokebyes Navy Flake it has become a favorite in my CAO meerschaum that is awesome and a daily smoke for me from now on.

What really matters is that you like what you smoke regardless of what others say or reccomend. We all have different tastes;) But I do think that focusing on a particular blend for many days and trying it in different types and styles of pipes has made me appreciate blends to their fullest. And many of these blends are not well know.

Have fun,

Eric

JoeSmall and User4408 like this.
  10. User4408

User4408 Member

My experience too says that's the key.

Or at least one of the most important keys. There's an excellent series on YT that presents a simple system for selecting the right kind of pipe based on the type, cut, and composition of a given tobacco. It's logical and easy to remember once you understand the principles involved.

Packing is another critical factor. If a smoker packs a compressed tobacco the same way as a shag cut, he'll set himself up for misery. Which is not the tobacco's fault.

Pipe smoking is a simple activity, but a highly complex art. I've been at it for 45 years and don't even pretend to have achieved mastery. But one gets better steadily over time, until the activity becomes supremely enjoyable whenever one does it.

JoeSmall and SidStavros like this.
  11. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

It's great input like this that makes this forum what it is. If it wasn't for the net and places like this I'd be so frustrated my only hobby would probably be alcoholism and bad relationships (both tend to be more common than not in my gene pool). The guidance and mentorship here is invaluable for a fella looking to improve himself not just in pipe smoking but in life. I can not truly express how much I appreciate and look up to you fellas. Saying thank you doesn't seem to be enough but it's the only thing I can do. Thank you gentlemen.

SidStavros and User4408 like this.
  12. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Clever BBQ post....:)

TWolf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.