1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Does an original stem make that much of a difference?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruralhipster, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I was watching this auction on eBay since I was curious how much value people place on original stems on estate pipes.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BEAUTIFUL-CA...901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc9509ba5

It seems to me that while an original stem is integral to the collectibilty of an estate pipe, at less than 70 bucks someone probably has a hell of a smoker for not much money.

Had I known this was going to go this low I might of thrown in a 75 or 80 dollar bid, I just assumed it would have crept out of my price range.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I was watching that one, waiting for the price to jack at the end, guess it didn't.

To answer your question, to Castello guys, it makes a difference, but to you and I that's a hell of a deal. I bought a Radice billiard with a cheap stem and had Tinsky cut a new stem for me, it works for me.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Dang man! Yeah, even if the replacement stem wasn't a good one you could just get a better one made for it I'd think :confused:

4. furious

furious Junque collector

Yeah I was watching that one but didn't place a bid. Someone got a sweet deal!

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I just got a Stanwell estate with a broken stem for 20 bucks, and I think it's a hell of a deal. Sure, it needs a new stem made and also a good ream and clean, but for 30 or 40 bucks I can get that done (planning on upgrading IMO from vulcanite to acrylic) and it's still going to come out total around 70 bucks or less. I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless you are a serious collector. My pipes are for smokin! By the way, there are plenty of good pipe repairmen out there.

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I don't buy a pipe because it's a collectable. I clench every pipe I smoke so I'm looking for a durable pipe stem. Vulcanite stems get dull and can develop a taste on there own (mea culpa). I've noticed a lot of freehands have stems made of a very cheap material. I don't know what it is, but I've bitten a hole in each of the two I have. I have one of those being fitted with a new, bullet proof acrylic. I'll put a plan together for getting the other stem replaced.

Original stems don't mean anything to me. I want a pipe stem as tough as me. That calls for bullet proof acrylic.

Ol Brokedik.

p.s. That acrylic isn't really bullet proof, but it's harder than a $40 jawbreaker.

Vaquero likes this.
  7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

AMEN!

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I guess I am a purist in that I would not buy a pipe that has a replacement stem. Period.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

...that pipe was ugly anyway.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Not being a collector I wouldn't care about a replacement stem.

Personally I prefer Vulcanite. At my age it is going to last longer than me. :)

11. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

great repiles here. myself i like original replacement stems. i have tim west do my stem work. i refurb chartan pipes and i like to keep them as original as possible. it is for me only, i do not resale my refurbs. tim has stamps for charatan pipes. i understand some guys do not care about that type replacment, that is cool with me. iam alittle anal about my stems.

mike.

12. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I buy pipes to smoke them, but original stems and crisp nomenclature are important to me. I wouldn't buy a pipe with a replacement tenon much less a replacement stem. But to each his own.

13. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Doesn't make a difference to me. A couple of my pipes are estates with replacement stems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.