Does anyone have some experience with these lids...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by KleinToit, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I want something reliable for long term storage, ideally it would be the jar on the left but its a bit big (I think its the 8oz for you guys) my ideal size is the one on the right (2oz goes into it pretty good) but I'm not sure whether it would be secure long term (5-10 years)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you guys think?

2. esteban

esteban Active Member

I don't believe your nightcap lid is airtight....I recently discovered dry baccy stored for a while with that type lid.....

3. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

Yeah I was looking at that type of lid with some skepticism... I'm currently just using it as a temporary jar, for anything long term I would have to go with the bigger jar, or try the whole candle wax idea on the smaller one...

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

KleinToit likes this.
  5. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

I dont know where you are located, but if you are in the U.S. midwest, you can get canning jars at the supermarket ,Wal Mart or hardware stores. Mostly Ball Mason jars around these parts. I use the 250ml wide mouth jars and they work very well.

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Much like the Dunhill tin, your small jam jar has a rubber seal that's only designed to seal once. After that they are unreliable. I find them great for dry good storage, but I would never re-use them for canning. To that end, I'm confident you could extend the life of your tobacco a few months, but I wouldn't not use it for long-term storage.

dwaugh, Mister Moo and KleinToit like this.
  7. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

Mason jar, all I needs

KleinToit likes this.
  8. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Personally, I like the lid of the left one best.

KleinToit likes this.
  9. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Sorry, come to think of it, maybe the middle and right one will be better. Staying in a humid area, we don't have much trouble with tobacco drying out that quick.

KleinToit likes this.
  10. muddler

muddler Member

I use the jars on the left. Don't trust the jam jar seal.

KleinToit likes this.
  11. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I'm in Potch, so the humidity is very low. when I open a tin, its bone dry in about 2 weeks...

12. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I put my each of my Dunhill tins in a zip lock sandwich bag.

13. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Jip, I've noticed the huge difference of the humid heat and dry heat last week. Carry my leather pouch with me and for the whole of Dec, never noticed any "dryness" since I've bought the 100gr. Went to Pretoria for 4 days - DRY.

I remember this from growing up in Pta, but every-time it happens, its kind off a surprise :).

Our humidity today is 65% and is much less than yesterday :-0

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  14. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Carry my leather pouch with me and for the whole of Dec, never noticed any "dryness" since I've bought the 100gr. Went to Pretoria for 4 days - DRY. I knew this but every-time it happens, its kind off a surprise :).

Our humidity today is 65% and is much less than yesterday :-0

KleinToit likes this.
  15. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

Yeah I wouldn't trust that lid in the center. I have a blend in a jar using that lid but also have a zip loc bag screwed under the lid as a little extra insurance. I try to stick with the mason jars also.

KleinToit likes this.
  16. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I have quite a few blends stored in jars with lids like that. It is the green way to go. They work, but it is very important to keep the rubber element clean as well as the top of the jar. I can see that you have some tobacco residue on the rubber seal, so you may or may not be airtight.

17. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

What is the longest that you have kept tobacco in jars like that? (I keep the gasket and the rim of the jars clean when I close it up for cellaring. This particular one is opened and will be finished before its dry)

18. Eric Pierson

2 years. Some in deep storage and others that I dip into from time to time. I have noticed no premature drying at all. Based on the jars that I do dip into from time to time, I am relatively confident these jars would work for long term storage as well. I will find out anyway as I have several jars filled for that purpose.

KleinToit likes this.
  19. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I think I'll try and test them and see what the deal is, if all else fails I can always use the candle wax method. I see a lot of jars is supermarkets with stuff that can spoil in these jars, so maybe it'll be good enough.

20. Eric Pierson

That is my logic anyway. Everything food related that you use a mason/ball jar on is contained in one of these jars at the grocery store. After I finish the (olives, jam, peppers, etc. . . ) I put the jar and lid in the dishwasher after a hand wash then use them like I would a mason/ball jar. Really, if you are not doing a vacuum seal anyway then you are not getting the optimal storage regardless of the jar you use and I am sure many of us are not doing the vacuum seal as it is just a PITA.

KleinToit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.