• This section of the forum was maintained by our good friend Mister Moo who was taken from us last year
    Recent topics are being moved and this section is now closed and preserved in memory of Dan

Does anyone have some experience with these lids...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwaugh

Staff member
I don't think I would bother with the middle type lid, unless I had a whole bunch of them. As Tony said, they are really made to just seal once (well, so are this lids on the regular mason jars, but I have not had a problem opening and closing them for "medium term" storage. I would never reuse one for "long term" storage though). But all that being said, because the middle jar has a "pop top" if you heat the jar before putting in the tobacco (which I never bother with), enough that the lid pops down when sealed and cooled, you effectively have a test for the seal; which is the whole point of the poppy thing on top on the first place. So there really is a simple test.....

KleinToit

Well, wait-and-see is the answer. What made me doubt them is the fact that I have turned them through the threads a couple of times (so that the nubs in the lid bend outwards, which makes the lid worthless...) They must be machine closed to some predetermined torque setting or something. I would use the two-piece lid mason jars but they are a bit more expensive, and I can't get the size I want locally. Think I'll try the vacuum sealing and see what happens. Thanks for the replies guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.