Does anyone have some experience with these lids...

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by KleinToit, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I don't think I would bother with the middle type lid, unless I had a whole bunch of them. As Tony said, they are really made to just seal once (well, so are this lids on the regular mason jars, but I have not had a problem opening and closing them for "medium term" storage. I would never reuse one for "long term" storage though). But all that being said, because the middle jar has a "pop top" if you heat the jar before putting in the tobacco (which I never bother with), enough that the lid pops down when sealed and cooled, you effectively have a test for the seal; which is the whole point of the poppy thing on top on the first place. So there really is a simple test.....

KleinToit likes this.

2. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

Well, wait-and-see is the answer. What made me doubt them is the fact that I have turned them through the threads a couple of times (so that the nubs in the lid bend outwards, which makes the lid worthless...) They must be machine closed to some predetermined torque setting or something. I would use the two-piece lid mason jars but they are a bit more expensive, and I can't get the size I want locally. Think I'll try the vacuum sealing and see what happens. Thanks for the replies guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.