1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Does anyone know about dating, and grading on Randy Wiley pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Found another VERY nice freehand Wiley estate, but am unsure of its dating. I do not have the pipe, nor any pictures. Just curious if anyone knows about them.

2. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I dont normally date pipes.
    I like to smoke, and collect them, but I never dated one.
    Though, after my divorce, I could see how dating a pipe might be advantageous.
    Pipes dont complain.
    You can take them out, or leave em home.
    They dont care where you go for dinner.
    Pipes dont nag, or make "to do" lists.
    A pipe wont bring up your past mistakes in conversation.

Yeah, I guess dating a pipe wouldn't be all that bad.:haha:

Ted Vig and Stonewall like this.
  3. Russell Hartman

100% agree--------MAN---I walked right into this didn't I.:shead:

4. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

beat me to it!

5. Russell Hartman

I"m ok with dating a pipe as long as she is no gurgler. Also I don't want her bowl all caked up.:ngty:

Ted Vig likes this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I used to know but I'm way out of the loop on Wileys. Used to be a 2 grade was his lowest and as the numbers went up, the price went up. Eventually he hit double digits, like 11 and 12, etc. I imagine it's all different now.

Why don't you google him and ask him directly? You may as well get your answer from the horses mouth.

7. Russell Hartman

Did sum digging on the web, and after several pages found the information I was looking for. I was more concerned with how he stamps, or grades his pipes. I was able to find the information. As far as numbering---they are as follows:
    RVW--lower end pipes
    5, 7, 9, 11, 20, 33, 44, 55, 77, 99, 100 with 100 being the highest grade.
    IF ANYONE has any correction, or feels that this information is incorrect----please do so. This is what I found out, and know that one cannot always trust everything you read, or hear.

8. Russell Hartman

:xd: By the way guys all in fun---my previous comments were sort of pushing things toward the gutter. PLEASE----if I offended anyone----SORRY---just funnin a little as the way I drafted my question left the door wide open. I did get a great laugh---made my day.:thu2:

9. Russell Hartman

Correction to my grading post----------grades 20 & 30 fall between 99 & 100---why--I don't know---just know that their grading is higher as far as grain, and finish. So my correction should read as follows---5, 7, 11, 33, 44, 55, 77, 99, 30, 20, 100-----yes the 20 & 30 in that order from what information I have been able to gather. As one might gather----I love researching pipe artisons---------pipes---"the functional art". Each artison has their own style, grading etc.. ----I simply love pipes.:drly::drly:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.