Does anyone know about this Samuel Gawith Blend?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

One of the blends that was high on my "to try" list is no longer available because the B&M that sold it is out of business. Tavern Tobacco Company out of Knoxville had an SG blend called "Laurel Flake". The review on TobaccoReviews.com said:

Laurel Flake- Brand: Tavern Tobacco Co./ Blender: Samuel Gawith/ U.K.
    In the first year of the War Between the States, Gen. Turner Ashby's famed Laurel Brigade of Va. Cavalry ruled the Shenandoah Valley. When the Louisiana Tigers came to the Valley in 1862, they brought with them a wonderful spice tobacco that mixed perfectly with the sweet Virginia leaf. In the years after the war, the old comrades would often gather at their favorite tavern for drink, stories and a bowlful of their favorite VA/Perique Flake. A wonderful medium strength Virginia/Perique flake hand blended for Tavern Tobacco by Samuel Gawith

Do you guys know of this blend under another name at any other tobacconist?

2. Johnny

Johnny Member

From what I know, it was the precursor of St James Flake from SG

3. phinz

phinz Active Member

Have you thought about contacting Leaf and Ale or Smokey's in Knoxville to see if they are familiar with it? I know the folks who owned Knoxville Cigar Co. are still out there and may stay in contact with the other tobacconists in the area. There's a new cigar shop in the old Knoxville Cigar Co. location as well, so they may know.

If I wasn't going to be at a beer tasting Thursday night I'd ask Doc if he knows. The monthly pipe club meeting is at Leaf and Ale this Thursday.

4. leafandale

leafandale New Member

I contacted my distributor for Gawith tobaccos and he told me that blend was marketed by Knoxville Cigar Company (now out of business) under the "Tavern Tobacco" name. It was blended by Gawith exclusively for them and is now no longer available. He also added that he thought Gawith tobacco is not available in the US at the present time, as they are out of most every blend, and have been out for several months. However, there may be shops across the country that have inventory on hand.

5. BradNTX

Thank you everyone for the information & suggestions. I wish whoever is holding that recipe would sell it to another tobacconist!

6. phinz

phinz Active Member

For what it's worth, the Zarings (the former KCC owners) sell on eBay every once in a while under the name sdzaring. Perhaps they can help. Pete Zaring is on LinkedIn. (http://www.linkedin.com/in/petezaring) Or, like I said, try contacting Leaf and Ale in Knoxville. The same folks who were very active in the KCC pipe club are now going to the pipe club meetings at Leaf and Ale, so maybe one of them will know what the mixture was. They're meeting tomorrow night.

7. BradNTX

Look 2 posts up... :thumbsd:

Your Leaf and Ale guy signed up and pitched in some helpful info. I'm also thankful for these suggestions above. I'll try eBay and the LinkedIn deal.

Appreciate it!
    Brad :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.