Draft Hole Enlarging

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by buistd, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

How easy is it to enlarge the draft hole within the shank? I have had the pipe for a little while and have only just realised that I don't like it as much as my others as it always feels a little blocked due to the narrow draft hole. Any tips on how to do it would be appreciated. Is it as simple as just getting stuck in with a drill or are there more subtleties involved?

2. snowman

snowman Member

It would help if we knew what the pipe was that your talking about. Myself I smoke mostly peterson system pipes and once I buy them I run a 5/32 drill bit through the draft hole and I do It by hand with a t-handle.But thats me.Wait for more replys.

3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

+1 on this. I start w/ a 1/8 bit & if that passes through go to 5/32 in the stummel. Go slow & by hand, you won't cause any damage. Then see how the draw is. If its not to your liking then you can drill the stem same way. start w/ 1\8. I will put the drill bit in a vice & set it to the depth to the bend & turn the stem on the bit. Then see how the draw is. If it still isn't good then you can straiten the stem ( a little more work) & keep going till just before the button. Odds are that just drilling the stummel will do the trick.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    Good luck
    Brian

ProvokeMe likes this.
  4. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

+1
    I have one Peterson and eventually I realized the draw wasn't to my liking so I grabbed a 5/32 bit and did the same. It worked wonders, the pipe had a gurgle before I did this and smokes dry as a bone now.

snowman likes this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

doing just the draught hole is easy easy.

Doing inside the stem itself to match is a little harder. Start with the shank and see what happens I guess.

6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Thanks all for the input. It's a canadian so should be fairly easy then.

7. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Just go slow.

8. smokindawg

smokindawg Member

As Sasquatch said, start with the shank. It's the easiest to do. I've found that this can help quite a bit by itself. But to truly make a clunker smoke good you need to rework the entire pipe from bit end of the stem to the tobacco chamber. There are many different things you can do while doing this. These include drilling the stem with a tapered bit to avoid the step caused when using a regular bit. Funneling both the end of the tenon and the bit and polishing the airway in the stem.

I've opened up many pipes, including a couple Petersons and they have always smoked better afterwards.

Steve Dennis likes this.
  9. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Just drilled the pipe and smoking it now. Much better. Thanks to all of you for your help. Interestingly enough I ended up drilling it with a metric size 5 bit which corresponds to somewhere between 3/16 and 13/64. It was already around the 5/32 mark so I just chose the next (metric) size up.

10. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I'm so glad it helped you, isn't it a great feeling when you turn a so-so smoker into a good smoker?

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Good stuff! I re-drill ALL of my pipes regardless of make or value to 3/16". Every single pipe has benefitted from this!:bing:

12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

It sure is! That's the best smoke I've had with it by far. Also needed fewer relights than before presumably as a consequence of many factors influenced directly or indirectly by the diameter of the airway.

13. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I am considering the same. I didn't realise that the airway was a bit narrow til I bought a Blakemar XL billiard. Not sure if that is drilled wider but the draw was much easier than my other pipes so it made me think.

14. smokindawg

smokindawg Member

You can tell a lot about the airway size just by pushing a pipe cleaner thru. Another bonus to a bigger airway is that the cake isn't quite as apt too become quite as restricted as fast from the cake.

I've found lately that some of my pipes are having the problem of the cake beginning to restrict the airway. I've had to use the pick on several of mine too break that loose.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    Once you've opened your draft holes you can then use the drill to kind of ream it if the need arises.
    (Usually a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol should do the trick.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.