DRAMA 2014: Changing Old Fart Requirements

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain

Iain Active Member

Since I've apparently been piping since April 2011 that means I get grandfathered in right? So I'm an Old Fart at 27? :doh:

Preacher1611 likes this.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Yes. Good to go, sir. Bring it on. And thanks for the many contributions. May I continue to call you "Lain" in the best traditions of PSF?

And, by the by - and this part is not generally well known - typing in the Old Fart section with any modestly refined english accent gets you an extra 10% of credibility; Yorkies, Derby men and Scots automatically get +15%. I admit the system is slanted. And it's profoundly unfair to all pipesmokers, no matter how much they know, who are two years old or younger.

Spillproof and Preacher1611 like this.
  3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

So if like your current OF status you can keep it?

4. Mister Moo

Perhaps.

dwaugh likes this.
  5. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Would that be following a review by the Old Fart Panel?

MikeInMaine, psquared and dwaugh like this.
  6. Mister Moo

Maybe.

7. Marker

Marker Active Member

Oh snap. I thought that all proper english people typed their names without capitalization. No way I can reprogram my brain to see that as a capital i at this point. See you around lain.

Spillproof, psquared and jpberg like this.
  8. Iain

Iain Active Member

Oh I hadn't realized that was officially a PSF tradition, I always just thought all you guy's were a bit slow. :wedg:

Actually this is a good system, people from Yorkshire know everything about everything, unless of course it only exists outside of Yorkshire in which case we've never heard of it, but that doesn't matter because if we don't have it in Yorkshire it must be :poop: anyway. I'm pretty sure the Scots think the same too. :toast:

9. mongo

mongo Active Member

Oh great, now all the small Mom and Pops forums are gonna go out of business. Evil evil corporate greed.

p120d16y and Tony Malerich like this.
  10. dwaugh

This just made it into my best PSF quotes file.

11. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Makes sense. Although some younger / newer smokers do "master the art" quickly, there is something to say for experience. Experience is the integration of the knowledge - its like, after driving for more than 30 years trying to explain to my daughter exactly when to change gears. Its more than words.....

But ultimately, its not what you know or how long you smoke, its "what works for YOU". As long as you enjoy the smoke, the company, the setting, that's cool!

12. Mister Moo

Spoken like a true, very experienced, decent-human-being, pipe Old Fart with no problems meeting the OF/TOS requirements. This is the honest approach to the serious business of helping out newguys.

But, still... it's fun watching the not-quite two year guys squirming and twisting in the wind, isn't it? :ngty:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

When I first read this thread I wasn't quite sure that I agreed with the premise as I felt surly there could be something of value to be found in the opinions of those with less experience, even if it were suggestions regarding the most basic areas of pipe smoking. But after thinking about it, and coming to the realization that even though I may have an opinion on some neat or nifty method of shining up a pipe, or how to tighten a stem, that in all honesty, the three years I've been smoking consistently have only provided me with a modest, entry level idea of what I'm doing. My palate is still very inexperienced. I'm still learning how to smoke certain blends and what pipes, or types of pipes work best with these variations.

And I can only speak for myself, but this is one of the very reasons my posts or contributions in that forum have been very limited. I think I can easily relate this to the time I took up Golf, and a guy told me its nothing more than wacking a ball down the fairlane and putting it into the hole. Ah...yeah. I think anyone who's played the game can attest to that being an understatement of elephantine proportion.

And to be honest, I find the pipe much more difficult as it isn't a matter of finding the right physical moves to achieve success. Every time I think I have it mastered, I often end up back at square one going through the elementary stages or steps once again. In fact I think that's happened more frequently recently than when I first started. I sometimes still have issues with keeping my pipe lit. Or smoking too hot in briars. And I'm finding out more and more that my methods need to be more flexible than set in stone as many blends I smoke, smoke very differently; both in regard to various types of pipes, and in regard to my smoking cadence.

In fact, I've actually found myself getting a little frustrated lately. In the past I smoked less frequent, and if my experience wasn't what I'd deem, good, or pleasurable, I'd blame it on being rushed, or the wind, or lack of concentration, the pipe, etc. But now that my smoking is sometimes as much as twice, daily, I realize I'm still in my infant phase of this craft.

I guess what I'm trying to say here in long winded fashion, is I think Moo is making a good point here. Jokingly or not.

14. Mister Moo

A Festivus miracle!

Happy holidays, Stones. :)

MikeInMaine, Stonewall and psquared like this.
  15. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

We have an Old Farts section? Who knew?

16. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

Juxtapose "America" for Yorkshire and you'd never know the difference. haha

Iain likes this.
  17. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yorkshire? What is that? Sounds like a brand of ready-sliced lunch meat.

WalkinStick, jpberg and p120d16y like this.
  18. highstump

highstump Active Member

So that's what, 3 in that file now. Truth is I was going to start one of these myself but as long as you have one going already can you just tell me what server it lives on and I'll just map a drive to it. :whis:

Now, to the topic at hand. If you young in's can't get any answers out the crusty old buggers here, well...you got a computer so gaggle, or gargle, or google it. Whatever it is you do to get answers these days. :old:

19. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I still think this is bergs second account here.

20. dwaugh

Is he the guy with the broke-down "grocery getter" as his avatar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.