DRAMA 2014: Changing Old Fart Requirements

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

bingo! give that man a cigar.

TheModernGent, jpberg and dwaugh like this.

2. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

About the arthritis thing...? To whom should I address the copies of my latest Xrays, & will the radiology consult be covered under Obama care?

Anyway, to the operators of this site, thanks for doing so because I enjoy it thoroughly.

highstump and dwaugh like this.
  3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

If you have digital copies of the X-rays, I would like to see them. PM me for my email.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Stump and I went to different schools together.

5. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain Old Ted Award 2017

When I was newer on the forum, I replied to something and saw later with horror that it was in the Old Fart area. I waited to get my hand slapped. I was not sure about requirements. I am a guy in his 50's (so a young guy really), but I have been smoking a pipe over 35 years. I did not know if you had to be posting for a certain length of time or just what to qualify. It sounds like I make the cut.

MikeInMaine, dwaugh and Mister Moo like this.
  6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Thank you for this encouraging post. Terror is precisely the emotion I've hoped to foster in the Old Fart section. Also, watch out for the low flying black helicopters. :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  7. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain Old Ted Award 2017

[Adjusts tin foil hat] I am always on the watch. Now - where did I put my keys?

8. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

I tend to group the old fart threads into two different categories: 1. Those that can be competently answered by anyone that's been smoking a pipe for a year or so (i.e. Why can't I keep my tobacco burning?), and 2. Those that can only answered by someone that's been around for a while and/or run into that specific issue (i.e. "One handed help"). If it doesn't firmly fall into category one...or it's not something that I've had direct experience with (i.e. Smoking a pipe while golfing), I don't answer it.

Am I correct in reading that my two cents are no longer required in that section?

highstump and WalkinStick like this.
  9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have expressed my displeasure and will now remain mute.

highstump likes this.
  10. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

So no age requirement?

11. Mister Moo

Yes. If you joined PSF after January 1, 2014, you must be three years old and smoked a pipe since birth (or any age and smoked a pipe for at least three years). However, if you joined before January 1, 2014, you can be two years old IF you smoked a pipe since birth (or any age if you have smoked a pipe at least two years). Hope this is helpful.

12. Mister Moo

For a little while, yes. :( This does not mean you are in any way unloved, however.

13. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

Dwaugh short version is this : my joints all look like an aerial traffic map of downtown Houston - at rush hour.

Back to pipe smoking - regardless of who smokes what, for how long, if it answers my question & enhances the hobby I don't care if you're a hermit crab with a bowl full of the yard clippings my local B&M calls it's " custom English blend"

highstump and WalkinStick like this.
  14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I think we should have a Really Old Fart section.

I mean, how many of you "old" farts ever met Alfred Dunhill or smoked a clay pipe when it was the current fashion? Or even whose birthday year Dunhill pipe is a patent number? Or shoot, even where the best place to find Blue Boar was in central Texas?

15. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

So at 26 I qualify as an Old Fart, does that come with movie and dinner discounts?

16. dmkerr

Nah, at 26 we give you free sponges to place behind your ears. The discounts you're speaking of don't come until you hit 30, and the walker at 35. :D

17. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

Dang was hoping to save some money for my TAD...oh well at least the sponges keep the wet off my ears.

dmkerr likes this.
  18. dmkerr

If TAD were a simple thing to control, it would be called TA. See, we're enablers around here. We help you SPEND money, not save it. :ohyh:

DGErwin11 likes this.
  19. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

And we enjoy the tar out of doing so.:thu:

highstump, jwh891 and dmkerr like this.
  20. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I don't see why this is going on for 8 pages. I tend to stay out of the Old Fart forum because I figure other people have already taken care of whatever I have to add, even if I qualify. I was in there recently, however, and what I looked at was indistinguishable from any of the other threads. There was some bad advice and some questionable observations from people who obviously hadn't spent a long time nurturing a relationship with their pipes no matter how many youtube videos they had watched and how much they had researched. Commentary was obviously taken off the shelf.

I think some people are protesting too much. It doesn't matter how old a person is physically. What matters is how long they have been smoking a pipe. It doesn't matter how much they know in theory; it matters how much they have lived in practice. As someone in the August of his years, I meet plenty of people smarter than I am. They don't know what I think is important, but I know that they'll find out in a decade or so. I was once them. We all have experience, but a long time pipe smoker knows what experience is important and what is a flash in the pan. I look at the Old Fart forum as being about wisdom rather than knowledge. Pooh-pooh that if you like. Everyone is the smartest person in the room when they have just figured something out. Anyone can smoke adeptly after a year. After 5 years, they will smoke better. After 5 years, they will have more meaningful insights to share. After you figure something out, you soon learn that you haven't. That's when the real learning begins, and it is a different kind of lesson altogether.

I'm a conservative cranky yankee by nature, more so every day. I think there is something to be gained from having an Old Fart forum and I think that it is reasonable to define who qualifies as an Old Fart, however arbitrary that definition may seem to those who want to cannonball in. Moo's original point is well considered and reasonable even if it isn't popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.