Dropped Pipe Dropped Tobacco

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by buistd, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I just got home from work, loaded up a bowl of 1792, did a false light, did another light, then set the pipe down half-on, half-off the kitchen counter. Of course the half off was the heavy end. Pipe on floor, tobacco everywhere. No tears, just rubbed out some more tobacco and started again. However it made me think: is there a three second/ten second/five minute rule regarding collecting the spilled tobacco and repacking? Has anyone ever done this through any act of wretched desperation or is it simply not worth the dust and cobweb topping?

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've tried it if it falls on something clean. Not worth it otherwise though. You'd be surprised all the little hairs that fall out onto floors, tables, etc. without you noticing. And they stick to things easily. Burning hair smells awful. Just imagine it in your pipe, even just a tiny bit of it :eek:

Honestly I have enough tobacco that if I somehow ruined the last of something I really liked, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd be irritated at my clumsiness, but I'd just smoke something else.

Dutchking22 likes this.
  3. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Not off our floors. We have 2 dogs and a cat. Try as we might to keep the floors and carpets clean, with pets it only takes a day and nothing passes even a one second rule.

4. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

We have 4 dogs, 2 cats, and two little boys. If it falls on the ground for even a second at my place, it goes in the trash bin. I just shuddered at the thought of what all that animal hair would taste like trying to re-load after a spill.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Now if I dropped a whole, in-tact flake of something I'd pick it up and carefully brushed it off. If it looked clean I wouldn't worry....

6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Just for the record this post was more in jest than seriousness but I thought it might be entertaining to hear of any desperate acts carried out be people intent on smoking their last pipe's worth of their favourite tobacco before running out.

Mark w4mms and ATXPipe like this.
  7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The three day rule is in effect here, particularly with food, but tobacco is not a loss if dropped, either.

Mington likes this.
  8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Until I decide to give up the pipe and donate my remaining leaf to the less fortunate (God forbid that day should come!) I can't imagine running out of tobacco. I might run out of my first, second, or third choice, but I'd still have something to smoke.

I figure at the moment I could probably smoke for a good 5-8 months without buying any more tobacco. That's a wild guess, though, I have no idea how much mass of tobacco I actually have on hand.

9. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I'm a Germ-o-phobe, so it falls on the floor, and gets tossed out...The toby not the pipe!

10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. I am quoting someone, I don't know who. Actually, when it was said to me I thought,'what a crock'. Get well soon!

Ol Brokedik.

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Depends if it is Half and Half or SG FVF!

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

... or if anybody is looking.:sailor:

13. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I'll admit that I've swept up tobacco from the top of the table/desk/counter/nightstand when my bowls tipped over, but if leaf hits the floor, its a goner. Between the dog, the toddler, and my 90 year old grandfather that my wife and I care for, I don't know (nor do I want to know) whats down there.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'll pickup "dropped" leaf off the ground as long as I know the ground is not filthy and the leaf is all that I'm picking up. If there's some germs/bacteria/fungi that happened to hitch a ride on the leaf, so be it. If the leaf comes out as an intact "clump" then it's a no-brainer, it gets picked up and put back in (you know about "fallout" right guys? ;)).

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) has changed the "3 Second Rule" to 15 seconds btw. Unless the surface is known contaminated (grossly or otherwise), and the dropped item is intact, no moisture/fluids at the drop point/impact/where it lay, then 15 seconds is supposedly as good as the old 3 second rule. So, what this means for all you 0ld codgers (I'm a young codger) you can slow down and take your time picking up your dropped leaf! ......... or take your time reversing the "fallout" :D

Ed
    Puff

15. DocB

DocB Active Member

God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt... I even pick stuff up over here in "Wonderland" and eat it afterwards, as long as there is nothing you can't brush off. Keeps your guts strong!!

16. telltime

telltime Active Member

I think tobacco actually grows in dirt, doesn't it?:p

17. ruffinogoldswife

Sure, but not in dog hair, cat hair or God knows what dropped by the kids. :eek:

telltime likes this.
  18. telltime

telltime Active Member

Ha!! Can't argue... but I can add that in that dirt it grows in, deer, racoons, mice, etc. all scurry about and pee and poop where ever they please.:confused:

19. ruffinogoldswife

Surely in the curing process it gets cleaned somehow. Steamed or at least rinsed off?

20. phinz

phinz Active Member

I can't smoke it off the floor, because it'll have some Labrador in it, man.

jpberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.