dry flakes with a lamp?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by brunchman, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunchman

brunchman Member

Hi guys,

So i got some flakes and i was impatient so i tried to dry one under a hot lamp for 30mins. Is this a good idea?

Cheers

2. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I've heard of other forum members doing just that. Me? -- I'm too impatient, and nuke mine for 6-8 seconds. Seems too work for me.

3. Iain

Iain Active Member

I've heard of it before too, just don't forget about it or it'll be crispy dry. Personally I just smoke 'em as they are.

4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

It has to be pretty wet before I dry anything. Then I just sit it on top of my hard drive for ten to fifteen minutes. I don't like it to get crispy dry.

Old Ted likes this.
  5. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I rub flakes out first...then I let them dry out on a paper plate under my desk lamp for a few minutes until the desired dryness. If you're just going to fold and stuff, then you'll be fine drying it out the way you described.

Just one note, a flake will appear to be drier than it really is when not rubbed out. It still holds a lot of moisture even though it feels dry to the touch on the outside. However, there's a fine line between "not wet" and "crispy dry"...got to watch it!

6. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I've only tried this with 1792. Unfortunately 30 mins under a lamp plus 30 minutes of air drying still wasn't enough.

7. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I actually put a piece of paper or paper towel over the top of the lamp shade and dry mine that way. Seems to be faster in my opinion.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I sometimes put them near the fan vents of my laptop, while I'm perusing dubious Ebay bargains :)
    OT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.