Dry or damp?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I was told by my local tobacco guy to fill my pipe and allow to sand for around 30 minutes. He said that a pipe tend to smoke better if the tobacco is dryer. Any truth to this at all? Thanks again y'all, Beale.

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Absolutely. See my reply on
    your gurgling question. IMHO,
    it's better to dry the leaf out
    before loading it in your pipe.
    Hope this helps.

dp

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yes , theres truth to it . A good number of blends seem to need a little " air " time . I got into SG Firedance a few weeks ago and it needed plenty of air time [ 3 hours ] . Other bends it wouldnt help . Middletons Cherry blend for example needs no air time . Open pouch/jar , pack and smoke . Airtime is one of those things where ya play around w/ each new blend ya get to see what is best . Honestly , I like blends that you dont have to wait on best . However , some blends are so good that they're worth waiting 3 hours for imho.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

It depends on what you like, but many smokers find that many tobaccos are too moist as they come from the factory and that a little drying time helps them smoke better. Fifteen or so minutes sitting out of the tin can sometimes make a nice difference.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

You're building a smoldering fire......so as long as you don't have any problems (wet bottom, etc.) smokin' down to the bottom then smoke it with whatever dry time you wish. Each toby, for me, requires a different amount of dry depending on how wet it is and how I'm preppin' it. A rule of thumb (and finger) for rubbed/partially rubbed out is to pinch some and let it go, if it stays clumped, it's too wet for a good burn. If it falls back apart, go seek fire! But a caveat I've noticed is that some tobys taste different the drier/wetter they are, so experiment and find your preferences with the toby(s) you like to smoke.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Perfectly worded +1

7. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks! I noticed last night a wet spot in the bottom of my just finished bowl. I will let this oz air a bit and see what occurs, Beale.

8. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I have a 7 oz container of 3star cherry cordial that's been sitting open for over a week. It's just now becoming smokable, but only for about 1/2 the pipe. Guess the lid stays off some more... I have the open container inside a cabinet with a loose fitting door, so it's not as extreme as it may sound. When I opened first opened that can, it smelled great, and bit hard!

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Yes and no, I primarily smoke virginia flake tobaccos, and sometimes I will lay a flake out to air for a few minutes before smoking, most times I smoke straight from the tin, just depends on the moisture content of the tobacco.

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Most of my flake tobaccos need some air time. I like them almost brittle. A quick way to dry a damp blend is to put a bowls worth on a paper towel and pop it in the microwave...about 3-4 seconds normally. Let it cool, and load up.

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I find that doing this fills the kitchen with a nice tobacco aroma. Be careful with Latakia, though. The wife may not appreciate that as much.

12. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

They tend to taste better to me on the moist side, but too most and they steam my tongue. I prefer a happy medium, but what that is can only be determined by experience and occasionally enduring frustration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.