DRY TOBACCO

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by wobble, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wobble

wobble Member

Hi need some advice on how to moist my tobacco, got it in Malta the other day and its a bit dry. Got it in the fridge in a air tight bag with a couple if bits if orange peel. is this ok or any better ideas ?. :old:

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

If I need to moisten tobacco, I just put it in a bowl covered with a moist paper towel until the tobacco reaches the desired moisture level.

I don't know about the orange peel. :confused:

SidStavros, Stonewall and OldSouled65 like this.
  3. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

It might make the tobacco taste good :D

But in all honesty, just do the paper towel over your bowl of tobacco thing.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

The orange peel trick only works with the OTHER stuff. Do the thing with the paper towel.

5. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Back in the day (as old guys have a tendency to say...) using orange peels or an apple slice was a common way to try to deal with dry tobacco. I tend to think now the paper towel method is the way to go. Simple. Cheap. Available. There's also the moisture buttons, but I haven't ever used one so I'll have to defer on them to someone else.

6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Fruit peels can mold and ruin your baccy.

Capt and N3M0 like this.
  7. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

We mostly used apple slices. Never left them in the tobacco for long, and never had a mold problem. (But, I'm not endorsing them -- still like the damp paper towel nowadays.)

dwaugh likes this.
  8. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I recently reinvigorated some dried out Sweet Killarney with this method. Glass bowl and a damp paper towel overnight did the trick. Make sure every few waking hours to give it a stir in order to ensure optimum moistness

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I had a friend do this with apple slices. Ruined a whole tin of tobacco. Melisa from CupOJoes spoke with me not long ago regarding a tin of tobacco I purchased from them that was a little too dry, IMO. Their tobacconist recommended the same thing the guys are suggesting here. Moist paper towel over a shallow bowl, the towl not making actual contact with the tobacco. Repeat if necessary.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  10. conroygc

conroygc Member

I've tried the moisture buttons, or mini humidifying disks. The paper towel works just as well, IMO.

11. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I do the same thing but use a wash cloth. Also..............ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER!!!

Rewster66 and Capt like this.
  12. Capt

Capt Active Member

Take it out of the fridge, all that will do is take moisture out!

13. wobble

wobble Member

Cheers guys. Done the paper towel job and work just grand. Made a Hydrostone for myself plus got one on ebay for £1.21 +£1.21 p&p from the US.

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey , wobble .. is that tobacco you got in Malta strong as hell ? My mother brought back some tobacco from there and it was labeled .. " Malta Tobacco " .. I smoked maybe two drags of the pipe and about feel over . it was the strongest I've ever had

15. ruffinogold

Hey , wobble .. is that tobacco you got in Malta strong as hell ? My mother brought back some tobacco from there and it was labeled .. " Malta Tobacco " .. I smoked maybe two drags off the pipe and about feel over . it was the strongest I've ever had

16. wobble

wobble Member

Its imported backie called " Skandinavic Aromatic ". Its no to bad. €4.60 for 50 g bag. Not to bad as that is about £3.60 .

17. ruffinogold

Cool , I know Skandinavic .... it's good stuff ! If you happen across a bag labeled Malta Tobacco ... buy another Skandinavic :)

18. wobble

wobble Member

19. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I bring tobaccer back to life with a little spritz of distilled water in the jar. Let it soak for a week or so and it's back to good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.