Drying Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Gradog, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

How do you dry your tobacco. I have been using an old jelly jar on the car dash or nuking it when the wife isn't home. I only do enough to fill my pouch. Will it go stale if I do more at a time, 2-4 oz.

2. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

I store everything in mason jars which keeps the stuff as humid as the day I opened the tin...most of the VA's I smoke are pretty much already dry enough to smoke as is...if I pick up an aromatic that's too wet I'll load up the pipe several hours before I know I'm going out to smoke...as far as drying out a whole tin at a time, just let it sit open until it's where you like it then put it in a mason jar to retain that level of wetness/dryness...

3. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I just portion out a bit more than a smokes worth onto a paper plate and leave it out until it's smokable. That way I know the bulk is nice and moist, but I get each bowl the right humidity.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

When I have to which isn't often, I place it under a desk lamp for a few minutes.

5. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Now that's a great idea... ;)

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Most of the blends I smoke are right on the money ... if not I'll keep it open on the desk till it feels right .

7. tungbite

tungbite Member

Any overly moist tobacco, I put into the microwave oven on high for about ten seconds. That's one pipefull on a paper towel or tissue. Makes flakes easy to crumble.

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

If need be I leave it out a while on a paper plate. Always seems to work fine but I've only had to do it with some english blend.

9. Demented

Demented Member

I’m with Ruffino on this one. Maltese Falcon is the only mixture that’s to moist from the tin for my taste, I leave the tin open a day or so after opening, I’ll smoke an open tin of tobacco before it has a chance to dry out.

10. maddis

maddis Sales Account

Aren't the techniques that people use going to vary depending on whether you live in a relatively dry or wet climate? I live in New England, for example, and in the winter my tobacco is never overly moist. I have to keep it in the basement if I want to leave a tin open for more than a few days. But in the spring and summer I need to let the stuff sit out for 30 minutes or so before I smoke.

I'm sure it also depends on how fast or slow different people smoke. The slower you smoke, the less you can afford to have relatively moist tobacco in your pipe, unless you don't mind relighting on a regular basis. And there's another variable... :startle:

Michael

11. maddis

maddis Sales Account

Hilarious! Here I was writing a response about how relative this all is, and then I actually bother to read the previouscomment about Maltese Falcon. Wouldn't you know, I shared a new tin of MF with a friend a couple of days ago and he asked me what I thought. I said that I liked it but it needed to dry out.

Too bad humans tend to be so swayed by anecdotal evidence!!!

Michael
    [/quote]

12. CBR

CBR Member

maddis, quick question - how are you storing your tobacco? In theory, and by no means am I authoritative, tobacco stored in an air-tight container should not be influenced by its ambient humidity. I used bail top jars and so far they seem to be no more moist than the day I opened them (I live in Thailand where it's humid year round).

13. maddis

maddis Sales Account

Good question CBR. I use an airtight Bodum carafe, although I don't know exactly how tight it actually is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.