dryness of your tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Mar 17, 2012.

?

How Dry do you like your tobacco?

1. Moist

26.5%
  2. a few hours of air time

61.8%
  3. Ultra dry like the sahara desert

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Just wanted to start a little poll on how people like the dryness of their tobacco.
    I had a hard time with lighting up some new tobacco this past week. I opened a tin of Peterson`s nutty cut and lit a bowl right away with no dry time. Was not able to keep the tobacco lit for more then 10 seconds.

I read from some guy that he likes his tobacco ultra dry like a few days of open air. What are your personal views on this?

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I voted moist.

3. Spam

Spam Member

I like it to have aired for a couple of hours, but am usually too impatient.

dwaugh likes this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Air it out for about an hour for me...

5. John Long

John Long Member

Depending on the tobacco. Is it ribbon cut, flakes, ropes, cubes? Zero to 2 hours for me. In some cases 4 hours. The dryness level can also affect the taste. Some taste better a little moist than dry and vise versa. you want it moist enough that you cook the flavors verses burning the flavors as you would if it's bone dry. You have to experiment as to what dryness level suits you best for a particular tobacco.

Jammer, ol gto and dmkerr like this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1. I prefer most flakes pretty dry - some crispy. I prefer latakia blends moist... unless they're in flake form and then I prefer them crispy. Burleys should be mid-level... unless they're flakes... or unless I prefer that particular burley moist or very dry... :D

In other words, it's what John Long said... depends on the blend. That's why I usually advise smokers to try all their blends at various levels of moisture. Ya just never know which one is right.

7. ol gto

ol gto Member

I prefer the tobacco moist when purchased; I lay a quantity out to dry - at different stages during the drying I use a DG lark/Duke filling it 1/3 bowl to test/sample and verify the moisture level I prefer.

8. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Ambient humidity is a factor. As I go through the process of finding a new all day tobacco certain old automatic actions are coming to mind. When a Southern Alberta chinook wind is blowing, things dry out very quickly. When the packed down ice on the road sublimates due to the dry winds you know that the air is dryer than King Fahd's back yard. The flavours in the tobacco seem to disappear and all that's coming through is hot dry smokey air. Might as well be smoking leaf fall from the ditch. Without even thinking about it till now, if the smoke is too dry, my habit has been to put my mouth over the bowl and exhale through the tobacco gently for a moment to get a little moisture in there. I don't have any idea what the perfect moisture level is for any particular tobacco but I'd give good odds that there is an optimum moisture level where all the flavours come alive and the burn rate is acceptable. I guess there's an advantage to having smoked the same blend for years and knowing how it's supposed to taste and how dry or moist it should feel when packing it in to your pipe. Discovering new tobaccos and how they work best has been a lot of fun the past few months since I came to this site.

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I usually will smoke some straight out of the tin and see what that is like. Then I let the tin air awhile. I'll pull some out and let it dry to the point that you can press a pinch of it together and when you let it go the tobacco falls apart. Still some moisture, still shiny and soft but dried out enough that it doesn't just cake together in a ball. That is usually the neighborhood I like 'em. I try a little dryer too and with some blends a little drier is the ticket.

ol gto likes this.
  10. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Same here, G&H flakes excluded, they tend to need more than 1 hour in my experience.

11. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

Between Houston and Trinidad I live in pretty humid conditions so I like to leave my baccy in the tin but unsealed and it takes while to get smokeable but once it's there, it never really dries out completely. So I ticked sahara :)

12. John Long

John Long Member

Oftentimes, I'll prepare and smoke half a bowl of Best Brown #4 rope and leave the remainder in the pipe overnight. The next morning, I finish it off and it smokes even better and it's tastier.

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like my tobacco fairly moist. Not clumpy, or sticky, but moist. It seems to have a fuller flavor and more sweetness to me that way. There are some blends I'll dry out a little before smoking, but that's usually if it's a bit on the soggy side upon opening.

14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

The air is so dry here, I usually don't need more than a half hour to completely dry out any tobacco. I set my PS LNF out yesterday for less and it was good to go.

Something like Balkan Sasieni (perfect moisture content, imo) I just load from the jar to pipe. Semi-dry, I guess is my preference.

15. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I like my tobac on the dry side, it seems to make for a better burn. I havn't noticed any taste loss with dry tobacco but I don't think my taster is as finally tuned as some peoples. I've experimented with rehydrating but I don't think its really necessary. One of the products of combustion is water, so once you get the bowl going it sorts itself.

16. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

Aside from one particularly goopy black cav I like (Edwards' Buccaneer), I've never really had excess moisture be a problem. I might have to re-light once or twice at the outset, but once I tamp it down the first time, it's usually good to go.

17. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

A little dry time works best for me

18. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

It really depends on the tobacco for me. Most VAs and englishes I like a bit drier. OTC's can be a bit moister depending on the pipe. Everyone is different.

19. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think age plays a rather large factor.

20. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Good point. Oh you mean the tobacco? :rofl:

jpberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.