Dumber Question

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Pecci, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

how often do you change your filters? How many smokes?

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I don't because I don't use them, if i get a pipe that requires a filter, first thing I do is throw it out. Yes they will filter some on the first smoke, but then the following smokes taste like stale tobacco. Not only that but they will swell and impede the draw. If you must use them, replace them after every smoke or two unless you like stale tasting smoke.

Dutchking22 likes this.
  3. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

They say to change them every day, or every 4 smokes, whichever comes first. But I toss em out as they are useless!

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Pecci, bin those filters!

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Pecci, if you want to try filters, by all means, see what you think. With regard to changing them, here's some simple math to think about: a 2 oz tin of decent tobacco will usually set you back between $10-$15. At about 10 bowls per ounce, that's between $.50-$.75 per bowl. An average filter costs about $.10. Based on that calculation, I'd change it for every smoke. No sense risking funking up a relatively expensive bowl of tobacco just to save a dime.

That said, I don't really use them much anymore, if ever.

Herb

6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I use them because they give me a drier smoke, with no condensation in the bit, thus no baccy juice.:puke:

I have been changing them every smoke, but wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting them.

7. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Pecci, I have only 1 pipe (out of 10), a Savinelli prince, that uses a balsa wood filter. I bought it just for that reason, and it does provide a better, drier smoke. The down-side being exactly what StrongIrish stated, the moisture cause the balsa wood to swell, and after 2 or 3 smokes, it restricts the airflow, and must be changed. But, as I bought it because I wanted a good quality filter pipe, I'll keep it that way. It's the only one I have, so no big deal to me.

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's good. That's what they should be doing. Like I say, I think it best to change them every time if you use them. I figure that's why they put a new one on every cigarette. ;)

9. kennerth

kennerth Member

When I use a filtered pipe, like my cobs, I change the filter every smoke. If you like what they give you, then use them with pride and smile when you throw away a damp, brown filter thinking about where that stuff would have ended up if you hadn't used it!

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think it depends on the type of filter. The wooden ones (Savinelli, Brigham) last longer than the paper type (Medico) to be sure.

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Baccy juice? I assume this is because of: a moist tobacco, fast smoking cadence, gurgly or not broken in pipe? Not trying to fully diss filters, but actual 'juice' sounds to me like an issue that can be corrected in other ways. Heck, I like wet tobacco, so I accept that i'll have to deal with it(with most my pipes)...which I deal with by 'shaking down' my pipe. No more moisture, no filter dummying down the true tobacco flavors. Yes, YMMV.

12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Once in a while a small amount makes it to the end of the stem, and into my mouth. Your right about the (slight) gurgle.

What do you mean about a "shake-down", and besides smoking slower, can you give me some other helpful advice against this?

13. yinyang

Assuming your pipe is properly drilled and caked(and not over smoked)...drying your tobacco out should result in a fairly dry smoke. (When not smoking fast). If you sense or hear moisture(gurgle), put your thumb over the bowl and 'flick' the pipe, stem downwards, a few times. Because I like moisty blends, I have to do this with the majority of my pipes.

14. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I stick a pipe cleaner in the stem and run it down to the bottom of the bowl carefully, It's surprising how much moisture a pipe cleaner can grab.

15. yinyang

You billionaires and yer fancy contraptions...

16. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

mmmmyes....Quite.
    [​IMG]

Whalehead King likes this.
  17. yinyang

Kitteh haz monacle...harumph, harumph.

Nice. Doesn't change the fact you fancy two sock wearing chaps are wasting pipe cleaners, though. :)

18. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I do use Medico Filters. They aren't necessary, but I like them, for whatever reason. I use them for two or three bowls before replacing them. Like empty beer cans, a collection of wet, brown filters will make you aware of how much you are indulging in a favorite vice. It isn't always a cheerful revelation.

Cheers,
    WK

19. yinyang

When you 'collect' used filters, I believe the appropriate term then becomes 'hoarding'. Yoinks! :)

Dutchking22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.