1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Duncan Dental....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mongo, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

Howdy all,

What can you tell me about a Duncan Dental pipe? Model 140, made in England, some kind of briar... that's all I got so far. It has a different shaped mouthpiece, hence the "dental" designation I presume.

So, what does this different mouthpiece do? Make it easier to clench? Anyone here smoking one of these? Or tried one and didn't like it?

2. TTUSmoker

TTUSmoker Member

I think that is the theory behinds the stem, to make it easier to clench and easier on your teeth and jaw.

I have no personal experience with one so I can't attest to much more.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes - made of "some kind of briar", in England - by Duncan;)....and has a 'dental' stem (for old guys with no natural teeth!)
    OT

4. mongo

mongo Active Member

Well.... we will find out soon enough. I bid for and won one on the 'Bay yesterday. Now, if I can just shake this dang cold... I can get to some testing!

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think they make Falcon's with a Dental System...

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

No.....Duncan is a different firm altogether.

7. mongo

mongo Active Member

Well, there was a nice little package waiting for me on my desk this morning.... actually delivered a day early!
    My first impressions of this pipe... it is smaller than the eBay pic alluded to, although the seller includes a ruler board for measurement. The bowl is 3/4" in diameter, and the briar is nicely figured. Now, the mouthpiece.... I like it. It has two grooves on the bottom and the top bends up to form about a 60 degree angle. The hole is still parallel with the stem. I like the feel of it when I test clench. Of course, I haven't smoked it yet... gotta wait for my cold to go away, and for the right time and place (likely my garage...). I'll do my best to get some pics up in the future, but fair warning... my pic taking ability isn't the best.

Mongo

Kiowapipe likes this.
  8. noodle

noodle Member

Useless fact for you all john duncan of duncan pipes fame introduced the dental bit to the world. If memory serves me right he did it in anticipation of getting dentures himself. Sorry about the spelling ive been drinking hobgoblin and smoking nightcap so im feeling very mellow

Old Codger likes this.
  9. mongo

mongo Active Member

Well, I don't have dentures.... but I finally got a chance to smoke this one earlier today. Once I found the sweet spot for it, it was quite comfortable to clench. And... since the bowl is smaller than my other pipes, this pipe makes for a nice quick smoke. I think this will become one of my favorite smokers.

10. noodle

noodle Member

the duncans are fairly nice pipes and add to the fact they cost sod all...

ive four up to now and am hoping to find more at markets/tat(think cheap almost but never will be antique) shops and ebay, the nicest smoke so far i have from them is the indeluxe spiral, ok its a bit of a gimmick having a metal stinger tube in a spiral that sits through the stem but my god does it smoke nice.
    ill sort a few pics in a bit if anyones interested.

11. noodle

noodle Member

12. mongo

mongo Active Member

Noodle... your links didn't work for me.nbg

13. noodle

noodle Member

Hmm ok I using these new fangled android things ill have a look on the old laptop later

14. noodle

noodle Member

try again using photobucket

[​IMG]
    and the stinger bit

[​IMG]

15. mongo

mongo Active Member

Nice looking pipes Noodle! I've had a few more bowls through mine now, and I'm liking it alot! I find the dental bit a little strange, but it makes it really easy to stay in the sweet spot for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.