1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill buying advice

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Siv, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

I'm a meer smoker but I would like to get a briar or two just for completeness. I'm thinking of a Dunhill (brand bias) and since I'm not 100% sure if this pipe will be a regular smoker, a second hand one is what I'm looking at. Here's one I found that I really like the look of and the price isn't unreasonable. What do you think?

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Good length & seems like a good price. (some of SP's estate Duns I'm not too excited about). I probably suggest this alot but Ebay has some nice estate Dunhill's. Check the seller "bruyerepipes"... otherwise the one your checking out is very nice!

3. Elwin

Elwin Member

Good looking pipe, and SmokingPipes aren't the kind of people to sell you a flawed pipe.
    They'd tell you up front if there was a problem.
    I say if it meets what YOU want, go for it.
    Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy it myself.
    :)

4. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

That's all I needed. Thank you gentlemen!

5. Hudson

Hudson Member

Umm, hello? Is this party over?

For those of us arriving late, the price no longer appears. Just out of curiosity, what's a little number like that go for?

I look forward to your review and if you run across where the design comes from, I'd love to know that, too. Enjoy.

6. WrightwoodJohn

The price was $275, it no longer appears because maybe isiv pulled the trigger. I think Dunhill has made that design since the 80's but not sure. I typically see those (when they come up) on Ebay for $300-$350...

7. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

Yes yes, trigger pulled!

I like it because it's a bit different from your average pipe and it's a size 5 so a decent size.

Elwin likes this.
  8. Hudson

Hudson Member

It's so unusual I just thought there might be a story behind it. It suggests to me Alec Guiness serving as a British Officer in some tropical colonial adventure, breaking his favorite pipe, forcing him to depend on a local artisan to return it to smoking condition. He balks at first, of course, but he slowly comes to find the new incarnation of his pipe actually superior to the original which leads to a mutual respect from which grows true democracy for all and a sizable franchise fee for the colonial power.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  9. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Yoy may have something there. Didn't Alec Guiness smoke a pipe in a few of his movies?

10. WrightwoodJohn

A big congrats isiv, very glad you got it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.