1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe - A Noob's Perspective

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Husayn, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husayn

Husayn Member

Greetings all,

I did see a thread dedicated to a review of DH EMP already, but thought it might be necessary to keep them separate, as this is a complete newbie's perspective and analysis - not wishing to taint the other review, which is one of the reasons inspiring me to purchase this tin!

Quick bit of background, I am new to pipe smoking. New, as in last night was the first time in perhaps 10 years I've lit up a pipe - and 10 years ago I didn't have a clue what I was doing also! I do however, have about 10 years cigar smoking under my belt, so I have a little bit of an understanding on detecting flavours and whatnot. Technique however, completely different!

So, yesterday afternoon, I christened my MM CG with about 3/4 of a bowl of EMP, before beginning my baking shift. Here are my thoughts:

EMP is like that beautiful, simple girl you fell in love with. From the moment you first sat down with her, you never wanted it to end. Time passed and you didn't notice, people came and went and you didn't care - just you and her. No need to spend too much time and effort thinking, pondering and trying to work out the characteristics of this girl, just pure, soft, subtle sweetness - innocent like.
    It's hard to describe the taste that I was getting, at most times it seemed almost chicory root like, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Sometimes it gave off toasty notes, which were delicious. At others, it gave off somewhat floral notes - akin to the first ever H.Upmann Coronas Minor I ever smoked - simply delicious.

As I mentioned earlier, this was my first bowl in around 10 years, but she stayed well lit over the 40 minutes or so I spent with her, requiring only 2 re-lights. I tried going slow to begin with, which worked, but the more time I spent with this girl, the more I desired, and I believe my cadence might have picked up somewhat! There was however, no tongue burn.

Once the bowl had finished, I had a fine - nay, damned fine taste that lingered on my tongue, and the walls of my mouth. I liken it to the fragrance of that girl that lingers on your clothes from her embrace - each and every time you smell it you remember your time together, and begin pining for another chance to see again.

Yes indeed, this was a great experience!

Now, I must scram before the missus realises I'm no longer talking about tobacco....or her! :p::eek::xd::laff:

2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

EMP was the first tinned tobacco I tried, and it has been a slippery slope ever since! Great blend, great blender. Welcome to the forum! :D

Rodfather and Husayn like this.
  3. SimonR

SimonR Member

You poor bastard. You're in trouble now … LOL. As Raffxr7 points out, it's all downhill from here.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me EMP is my least favourite of the Dunhill blends. I was going to offer to send some samples of others through, but I don't actually have any left (only EMP!). I've got to replace them on my next order. I'll give you a yell when that happens and we can sort out getting you a care package.

ChristTiger and Husayn like this.
  4. Husayn

Husayn Member

Hehehe yep, I know I'm in trouble now lol! I think one reason I liked EMP so much was its simplicity, and how damn good it is before starting a shift!
    Thanks for the offer! One day when I have in my possession a baccy or three that you'd like to try I must reciprocate! :th1:

I had my eyes set on 965 and Royal Yacht to try next, DH Flake and Navy Rolls are also begging for my attention - quite the conundrum!!! :confused:

SimonR likes this.
  5. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

I remember my first try of a Dunhill blend very vividly. Such quality and refinement, as English as fish and chips ;)

6. SimonR

SimonR Member

I avoided flakes for ages because they're regarded as tricky to smoke, but I haven't had any dramas with them. And really like them just folded and stuffed ... Less mucking about that packing ribbon cut. The dunhill is great. I'll get some on my next order.

7. SimonR

SimonR Member

Or terrible dental hygiene!:xd:

hoss, Husayn and LutzSpearo like this.
  8. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I also love EMP, great blend. As far as others to try, don't be afraid of flakes. I jumped right in with some Full Virginia Flake! It smoked like crap the first several times, but I liked the challenge, and eventually got it down. So if you are patient and up to it, go for it. I highly recommend Dunhill Flake, first of all because its delicious, but also because I find it to be an easy flake to smoke. It won't take you much time to get it smoking in all its glory, you may even get it down on the first bowl. I like to use scissors and cube cut one flake, then just gravity fill a bowl, maybe tap it down a touch with my finger, and it smokes easy and super tasty.

9. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Haha, I wont rise to that one Si :P I never understood where that stereotype came from (my gnashers are in tip top shape :D ) but I think its probably too far embedded for us Brits to shake off at this point! Other than been tanned and friendly, there are few negative stereotypes attached to Aussies, hence my imminenet trip!

hoss, browny, SimonR and 1 other person like this.
  10. Husayn

Husayn Member

Interesting! I also jumped in with my first bowl of Samuel Gawith FVF last night, having a super basic knowledge on flakes (must read that fantastic thread that's here somewhere again!). Needless to say it started a bit of a horror, but by half-way or so it was burning like a dream! DH Flake is most certainly on the cards!

Raffxr7 and LutzSpearo like this.
  11. Husayn

Husayn Member

Stay away from Tassie then, apparently they're all a bunch of inbred convicts!... :xd:

....originating from England :shead::laff::rofl:

Totally off topic now, but I had a Malaysian friend who told a joke... "What's the difference between Australia and yoghurt?" "If you leave yoghurt for time it develops culture."

[​IMG]

hoss, browny and SimonR like this.
  12. Bowl Boy

Bowl Boy Member

Following the drum fill - I have to say "It's all Dun-hill from here..."
    :shead:

scopawl, ruffinogold, DS86 and 3 others like this.
  13. SimonR

SimonR Member

Sounds like a pretty good result for a first crack at it! I found the FVF a little wetter and thicker sliced than the Dunhill. Great flavour but a little harder to start and keep lit. Relights don't bother me though.

David Emond likes this.
  14. rider81

rider81 Member

I hear so much about this i might consider go and buy this tonight. I just bought stanwells vanilla and was so discussed with it. I fell in love with the dunhill nightcap. if you get a chance. go try it. its very complex and extremely good.

Husayn and Raffxr7 like this.
  15. Husayn

Husayn Member

I was horrified I may have stuffed it to begin with, but thankfully it kind of worked itself out, nice cool, slow burn - only possible for night time for me I reckon!

Good luck! I reckon you will enjoy it! I have NC in my rotation as well, it's amazing how well they both fall into their respective slots - i.e, EMP is fantastic as exactly that, an early morning pipe! NC is great to wind down with! Both I think are brilliant! :th1:

16. Husayn

Husayn Member

One thing I am finding with this tobacco is the delight in retro-haling. The mildness of the tobacco allows me to retro-hale without burning my sinuses, and helps bring out the subtle sweetness and flavours of EMP! I love it!!! :ohyh:

LutzSpearo likes this.
  17. Shatteredzen

Shatteredzen Member

EMP goes great after some bacon and eggs with a good cup of joe! I also like taking my nightcap with some chai or earl grey tea. I cant think of two other blends that so quickly have become iconic for me as a pipe smoker.

Husayn likes this.
  18. DS86

DS86 Member

I remember this blend being really nice. Nightcap though, I did not like. 965 I do, and those are the only DHs I've smoked.

Husayn likes this.
  19. Husayn

Husayn Member

I agree, there's something very smooth and delicious, simple and sweet about this tobacco, I really love it! I do like Nightcap also, and am yet to try 965 (just about to order some!)

20. Moose

Moose Active Member

Nice review. Kind of made me reminisce about times gone by, and loves lost. Then I realized you were reviewing pipe tobacco!:eek:

I have a tin of EMP I have only smoked one bowl out of. THink I will get the dedicated no-name poker I have dedicated to it and light up.

Thanks again for the review. Well written and kept my interest. Usually on long posts, I get bored half.........look a bird! :xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.