• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe - A Noob's Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice review. Kind of made me reminisce about times gone by, and loves lost. Then I realized you were reviewing pipe tobacco!:eek:

I have a tin of EMP I have only smoked one bowl out of. THink I will get the dedicated no-name poker I have dedicated to it and light up.

Thanks again for the review. Well written and kept my interest. Usually on long posts, I get bored half.........look a bird! :xd:
Wait a minute...I was reviewing tobacco?
:xd:

I'm glad those memories came to mind, cos it's exactly what it reminded me of! Glad you liked it! :byg: Good luck with the baccy! :bing:

ruffinogold

Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large.
Mayor
All the Dunhill blends are classic ! I have yet to try the newer version of Standard Mixture Medium . But back in the day it was my favorite English style tobacco ! It's good yer enjoying EMP ....... Enjoy !

I have a tin of EMP that I smoked one bowl of about six months ago, hated, and forgot about. This review made me revisit it this morning and let me just say, what a difference six months makes!

It was smooth, light, clean tasting, lit and burned like a dream. The only downside is going to be when my girlfriend gets home from work and smells that I've been smoking an English blend upstairs (I'm relegated to the basement). For the record, totally worth it.

Tony Malerich

I have a tin of EMP that I smoked one bowl of about six months ago, hated, and forgot about. This review made me revisit it this morning and let me just say, what a difference six months makes!

It was smooth, light, clean tasting, lit and burned like a dream. The only downside is going to be when my girlfriend gets home from work and smells that I've been smoking an English blend upstairs (I'm relegated to the basement). For the record, totally worth it.
I should do the same. I wasn't enjoying it at first and just chalked it up to not getting much out of Latakia lately. I'm due for a revisit, especially given the winter weather.

Sounds like a pretty good result for a first crack at it! I found the FVF a little wetter and thicker sliced than the Dunhill. Great flavour but a little harder to start and keep lit. Relights don't bother me though.
A little trick , microwave a fvf flake for 8 seconds :)

Especially in a state where you can cook a meal on a BBQ sans gas ;)

How hot is it in Brissie today?
Hot my friend. We were out in the car before lunch and it said 33 degrees. It's probably not quite that hot, but it's very humid. The breeze has just come up, so it'll cool off soon ...

Hot my friend. We were out in the car before lunch and it said 33 degrees. It's probably not quite that hot, but it's very humid. The breeze has just come up, so it'll cool off soon ...
I should add that's about 92 in the old money ... For our non-metric counterparts.

sillyoldbear

Same here, it hit 35c/95f at 1300 and the humidity, while not Brisbane bad, is still awful. Friday was the worst, it hit 38.3C/100F.

I am working on an open tin of EMP and do like it, but I also tried the McClelland match a.m. pipe, a bulk blend, and I prefer it over EMP. I seem to like the hint of latakia that comes through in the a.m. pipe blend, and it is much cheaper. I am a fan of McC blends so keep that in mind, but you may want to give it a try.

Greetings all,

I did see a thread dedicated to a review of DH EMP already, but thought it might be necessary to keep them separate, as this is a complete newbie's perspective and analysis - not wishing to taint the other review, which is one of the reasons inspiring me to purchase this tin!

Quick bit of background, I am new to pipe smoking. New, as in last night was the first time in perhaps 10 years I've lit up a pipe - and 10 years ago I didn't have a clue what I was doing also! I do however, have about 10 years cigar smoking under my belt, so I have a little bit of an understanding on detecting flavours and whatnot. Technique however, completely different!

So, yesterday afternoon, I christened my MM CG with about 3/4 of a bowl of EMP, before beginning my baking shift. Here are my thoughts:

EMP is like that beautiful, simple girl you fell in love with. From the moment you first sat down with her, you never wanted it to end. Time passed and you didn't notice, people came and went and you didn't care - just you and her. No need to spend too much time and effort thinking, pondering and trying to work out the characteristics of this girl, just pure, soft, subtle sweetness - innocent like.
It's hard to describe the taste that I was getting, at most times it seemed almost chicory root like, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Sometimes it gave off toasty notes, which were delicious. At others, it gave off somewhat floral notes - akin to the first ever H.Upmann Coronas Minor I ever smoked - simply delicious.

As I mentioned earlier, this was my first bowl in around 10 years, but she stayed well lit over the 40 minutes or so I spent with her, requiring only 2 re-lights. I tried going slow to begin with, which worked, but the more time I spent with this girl, the more I desired, and I believe my cadence might have picked up somewhat! There was however, no tongue burn.

Once the bowl had finished, I had a fine - nay, damned fine taste that lingered on my tongue, and the walls of my mouth. I liken it to the fragrance of that girl that lingers on your clothes from her embrace - each and every time you smell it you remember your time together, and begin pining for another chance to see again.

Yes indeed, this was a great experience!

Now, I must scram before the missus realises I'm no longer talking about tobacco....or her! :p::eek::xd::laff:
That review was like reading 50 shades of EMP lol.

I had my eyes set on 965 and Royal Yacht to try next, DH Flake and Navy Rolls are also begging for my attention - quite the conundrum!!!
you wont go wrong with every one of those 965 is one of my fav eng blends. but the navy rolls taste exactly like escudo to me. i seriously think they are the same tobaccos just tinned differently.

EMP was also my first tinned pipe tobacco and at first the hard turkish smell scared me but after a few days i got the balls to just dive in and man was i shocked at how sweet and mellow it was; i knew i made a good choice moving to the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.