Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Match from C&D in bulk

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by tungbite, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tungbite

tungbite Member

I had a couple of tins of Dunhill EMP and liked it well enough, so when I discovered the "Match" blends from Pipes and Cigars.com in bulk, I ordered 4 oz.

The EMP match blend was really nothing like the original Dunhill EMP. The tinned Dunhill has a nice natural virginia haylike smell in the tin. The bulk match blend had almost no smell to it from the bag.

Now here is the strange part, I really liked the match blend more. The smoke has a really sweet taste and smell to it that the original EMP does not have, at least to me. It may be the type of Latakia used in this bulk version.

Also, I bought the bulk version "match" of Dunhill 965. Since I have not ever tried the original 965, I can't compare the two blends. I can only say it probably is similar to many bulk English blends.

I am thinking that most of these "match" blends are only slightly similar to the original products.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Tobacco blending is a very complex process, and it is hard for most blenders to replicate an existing blend. There are scores of matches of long gone, recently departed, and currently produced blends on the market, and most of them do not earn much of a reputation as being remarkably similar to the blend they seek to emulate.

Glad to hear you like it, though!

I will mention, however, that if you enjoy EMP you will probably love Rattray's Red Rapparee, which is similar but (in my opinion) quite superior.

Mike Pomery likes this.
  3. tungbite

tungbite Member

Nesta, Yes, I tried Red Rapparee quite a few years ago, when I was foolishly avoiding all blends with Latakia (my wife complained about the pungent odor!). It was a pleasant smoke as I recall. I've been looking for easy on the tongue bulk blends.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats the way it goes I guess . I have to give credit to Sutliff ... they've done a great job w/ their R blend [ Revelation ] , CD blend [ Country Doctor ] and Mans best friend [ Barking Dog ] . CD blend is super great !

WarGhSt likes this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't think I've tried CD yet, but I think you sent me a sample, Ruff. I have a tin each of R Blend and Man's Best Friend, though, and enjoy both of them very much!

6. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

I will also attest to the awesomeness of all three of those blends.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

With the powerful exception of Altadis' ERR'd match, I've been underwhelmed with the various match blends I've smoked. They are difficult to review because their very name puts pressure on them to taste like the blends they're attempting to match! That's probably a good marketing gimmick but perhaps not the best way to retain smokers.

At any rate, I've heard that blender Steven Books claims he can pretty much match anything with just a spoonful of the blend. I may give that a shot, just for ****s and giggles.

8. ruffinogold

I think the guy knows what he's doing and does better than most . Here's the thing . You bring someone a teaspoon or a pound of something from the past . Maybe the person can identifiy what each component is and at what quantity and cut . All that is great and my hats off to them . The problem is the tobacco that is available today , though the same strain or whatnot , isnt what was around in the past . Take MB for examle . They have a few years of tobacco on hand for production of existing blends in the future . They have to do this in order to keep a blend consistant . By having a few years of leaf on hand , they can compensate for when things are a little off , which apparently is the case , otherwise they wouldnt bother w/ the expence of keeping " extra " tobacco on hand . Basicly , just because you can match what tobacco at what quanity and cut is used ... in no way will it produce a blend from 40 years ago . Also consider the farming practices etc ... The guy is an honest guy , maybe . But recreating a blend from back when . Good luck . It's more romanticism than anything else

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

yep - aware of that. Sometimes a condiment even has to be added to make the blend taste as it did...witness K&K's addition of perique in a few of the old Rattray VA blends, blends that used to be VA only.

My experiment likely is more whimsical than real, but it'll be interesting at least!

10. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

You're probably right but Steven does have tobacco from 40+ years ago. I have never had him recreate a blend but all of his blends that I have tried have been superb, especially the ones with 40+ year old Burleys and Virginias.

11. ruffinogold

Those tobaccos he has that are older arent like they were 40+ years ago ... they've aged . The blends 40+ years ago werent using 40+ year old tobacco . Hence , another variable against making a match to a non existint blend . i'm sure the guy makes a great blend ... like I said , he knows what he's doing , but I think it's romanticism for romantics . And there's nothing wrong or illegal about it .

Stonewall and Brian Damage like this.
  12. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

Some of my favorite tobaccos are "matches" for blends no longer around. I am sure they don't taste much like the original but they are still good. Just take it for what it is and if you like it, smoke it and don't worry about how much it is like the original. Someday I am sure there will be a match for something like Penzance and it will taste different than the Penzance that we all know and can't find now anyway lol.

13. tungbite

tungbite Member

I also bought 4 oz. of Dunhill Nightcap match,Edgeworth Ready rubbed match, and I've never tried the original blends for comparison. Probably they have some similarities, but I'm guessing they are in no way exact clones. Also, I'm sure there are differences between a tinned blend and the same blend when offered in bulk and in plastic zip bags.

So far all the bulk Enlish style blends have tasted pretty much the same to me. They are OK, but the Early Morning Pipe Match is the only one I'll reorder again.

14. ruffinogold

Honestly , if any of you guys want to try A Contry Doctor Match ... Sutliff CD Blend is freakin awesome . I dont know how exact it is , though I've been told it's right on , but it's a mind blowing blend . 4 stars plus one for the heck of it . Classic American old school stuff

15. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

CD Blend is better than the Country Doctor I had. There are definite similarities though. Of course the Country Doctor I had was around 40 years old so it may have been on the decline as tobacco only ages positively for a certain amount of time and then it is just slowly going bad. My neighbor who smoked Revelation back in the day says that Sutliff's R-Blend is dead on as far as being a match. In a way I regret introducing him to it because now he has been buying it up at the local B&M lol.

16. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

The only "match" blend I've had so far was the Edgeworth RR match from Altadis.. and I liked it emmensely.. though I have no clue what the real Edgeworth has, it's certainly not going to stop me from enjoying it's match.

Mington likes this.
  17. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

This is how everyone should approach it. While I know for a fact that Sutliff Sunrise Smoke is pretty much nothing like EMP it is still a damn fine smoke in it's own right. I think there is a lot of snobbery against Sutliff because of it being made by Altadis. I find it to be superior to the line of regular Altadis baccys.

Mington likes this.
  18. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I know I really enjoyed Sutliff's #5 and their Malto Dulce.. But I really like ALOT of different tobbies..lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.