• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe Review

JWG25

Without tasting a cheap Prosecco or Spanish Cava truly appreciating a bottle of Krug is difficult- what do you compare it to? Ditto on a Toby- sure you can start at Escudo or Solani, or Semois or Peretti; but you would have skipped some very important steps along the way that can better help to add context to what is an incredibly nuanced world... .
This is a truly excellent observation.

Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart
Excellent thread and thank you for it.

Since starting the pipe my tastes have changed dramatically. I very much err towards virginias now. EMP sounds like just the ticket as I've gone off the smoky, spicy, full flavour blends. I like all pipe tobacco of course but when I have my one or two bowls a day I want it to be just the best.....perfect.

Must get some of this now.

Last edited:

Billy Joe

Agreed this is a classic-- as a former Chef and restaurant-developer I always got very frustrated when I'd meet up-and-coming, young and ambitious chefs that whilst nonetheless talented (and keen to make a plate of food look like an abstract painting complete with green-pea foams and lilac splooges of lavender gastrique or some such nonsense) could not make a perfect omelette or cook asparagus to a technically flawless consistency and color.

The classics are classics for a reason, and in the rush to find and/or 'understand' (or simply just say your part of the...) new and exciting people forget the first basic but inherently important steps.

I see this in the wine world as well now (in my current professions) talking to young 20-something sommeliers who ask all sorts of silly esoteric (and unnecessarily technical) questions about little-known wines or appellations but can't tell you what a simple Bordeaux tastes like or a classic New Zealand Sauvignon blanc. Look, NZ Sav Blanc is a basic, lemonade-like simple wine that is nonetheless delicious and has its place, but understanding that basic iteration is a key step to, eventually, down the line, truly appreciating some more ambitious or pricey version elsewhere in the wine universe.

Tobacco (or tea, coffee, whiskey, gin, perfumes, chocolate etc etc etc) is no different... After my first, shameful, tobacco experience I got turned on, by the guys at the Tinder Box in Charlotte, to Peter Stockebye... they recommended a handful of blends and asked me to come back. I did.

A few weeks in I began to take a tour of the "Old Standards" like H&H, Cartel Hall, Captain Black, BR etc... where they "my thing" - not necessarily... but I can see the echoes of those primordial archetypes in even the fanciest Dunhills, GL Pease; and/or whatever Russ is up to.

Without tasting a cheap Prosecco or Spanish Cava truly appreciating a bottle of Krug is difficult- what do you compare it to? Ditto on a Toby- sure you can start at Escudo or Solani, or Semois or Peretti; but you would have skipped some very important steps along the way that can better help to add context to what is an incredibly nuanced world... IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

I believe the soapbox I'm on has broken so I will wrap it up ... I find that my rotation is 50/50 - old standby's like Presbyterian Mixture; Lane 1Q (for boardgames nights); Old Dog; and of course EMP with a measure of some more 'modern' renditions.

There is no future music without the echoes of the past to inform it and EMP has inspired many a wonderful tobacco today. is what is.
Well said. You need to build a foundation first, in all things.

Gig

This blend actually made me physically sick, the sweats, nausea and then vomiting. Don't understand why as I smoke much stronger blends but it certainly did disagree with me. I smoked EMP having a full stomach and if I remember correctly I didn't even get to finish the bowl. Just out of curiosity has anyone else been affected like this? It's been a while since I smoked this blend now so I will have to go and try this blend again to see if it happens again or it was one of. Enjoy your smokes :)

Dimik

This blend actually made me physically sick, the sweats, nausea and then vomiting. Don't understand why as I smoke much stronger blends but it certainly did disagree with me. I smoked EMP having a full stomach and if I remember correctly I didn't even get to finish the bowl. Just out of curiosity has anyone else been affected like this? It's been a while since I smoked this blend now so I will have to go and try this blend again to see if it happens again or it was one of. Enjoy your smokes :)
Absolutely. It knocks me out every time. If I smoked it in mornings I wouldn't be able to even come to work.

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
It never affected me in that manner. In fact, I found it kind of wimpy. Nightcap, on the other hand, if I smoked it at night I'd never get to sleep!

EMP is one I don't like to smoke but it's probably my favorite blend to be around while someone else is smoking it. Smells heavenly!

I'm not usually a Latakia sort of person but EMP is the one for me when the strange urge/desire for Latakia does grab hold once in a very blue-moon.
However I can certainly say that it has made me feel decidedly queasy and positively queer.
It can seem to have such an unusual flavour and aroma especially on the snork. It seems to me to have an 'off'/sour milk/food- stuff sort of vibe to it sometimes. I tend to push on through that though and try to limit my snorking of it as the smoke can still be strangely compelling in it's strangeness and worth persevering with. Don't recall ever spewing with it though personally. :bing::bing: