1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill filter non-9mm

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I got this Dunhill pipe in a batch of ebay dregs awhile ago. The lot description said nothing about a Dunhill being in there, but as you can see it has major issues (mostly, two major cracks and a necrotic rim). I hadn't touched the thing until I needed an oxidized stem for one of my "experiments". When I pulled the stem off, I found this Dunhill branded filter. I need to do some more searching, but I have only found reference to Dunhill 9mm filters. This filter is certainly not a 9mm. Has anyone seen one of these filters? The marking on the pipe are mostly gone, even with a hand lens I have not been able to read much of the nomenclature.... -David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking for a someone with poor eyesight and a Dremel to fix the pipe, but right now I'm more curious about the filter.

shadow and HCraven like this.

2. Elwin

Elwin Member

This wasn't another one of your "experiments", was it?

;)

dwaugh likes this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

:haha:

4. dwaugh

No, I only reproduce brand names on things I send to Rewster:rofl:. No, the filter is legitimate. -David

Stonewall and Rewster66 like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The previous owner must have horribly abused that pipe. I can't imagine treating a pipe so badly its bowl would get cracked in two places - especially a Dunhill. Knowing how particular Dunhill is about the quality of their briar, I doubt if the cracks developed as a result of a defect. How far down the bowl do the cracks extend?

6. dwaugh

Both cracks (180 degrees apart) go down about 1/2 an inch.... I think the lot of pipes came from a pipe repair guy, there were new stems that had not been fitted(including a bunch of amber stems although many of those had been worked and and then cracked), but mostly pipes broken beyond repair. Oddly, the filter, although obviously used, must have been fairly new as it was not as abused as the pipe... -David

7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Now it makes sense why that last pipe I got from you said Dunghill instead of Dunhill.:confused:

HCraven and dwaugh like this.
  8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That filter is a mystery, David. I looked in every Dunhill catatlog I know of online (1937, 1959, 1969) and could find no reference to them. On an interesting side note, I happened to have a Dr. Grabow paper filter handy, and I examined it, thinking perhaps the same outfit manufactured them and just stamped different names on them, but the paper on the Grabow filter is twisted the opposite direction. Of course this is a contemporary filter, but given that there is no apparent advantage to wrapping the paper the other way, I can only assume that it was made by someone else. I think the dimensions are similar, though, about 5mm by maybe 57mm (sorry, I'm converting from inches; I haven't used a metric tape measure since I did my archaeology field schools in college).

9. NoRm

NoRm Member

I have an old box of Dunhill "Crystal" filters laying around. There is no date stamping on the box and nothing to indicate when they were produced, unfortunately. The information on the box is as follow:

Obverse: DE.NICOTEA
    Crystal Filters
    Alfred Dunhill

Reverse: Denicotea
    T.M. Reg.
    U.S. Pat. Off
    U.S. Pats.
    Made in the USA
    Alfred Dunhill of London, Inc, New York. Sole Distributor for USA

I'll dig my camera out in the next day or two and post some pics of the box and filters. My filters look nothing like the filter in your pic.

dwaugh likes this.
  10. NoRm

NoRm Member

I'd need a caliper to verify, but my filters look to be about 9mm.

11. dwaugh

Thanks for looking there Herb, I didn't think to do that, I guess that suggests these are post 1969. The dimensions on this filter are 3.5mm by 61.5mm (1/8th by 2 7/16"). -David

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The cracks are likely the result of smacking the top of the bowl against a hard surface to dislodge dottle. My father smoked a pipe for 60 years and did the same. He was gifted a Castello Sea Rock pipe that I rescued before it met a fate similar to dwaugh's Dunhill and all of my fathers other pipes, most of which cost around $5-15 new. This Dunhill was probably not purchased by the offender and he likely didn't realize the value, either. My dad thought the Castello was just another cheap pipe.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Luckily for you, David, I am an expert in all things Dunhill. Okay, not really at all, but I remembered seeing these cigarette holders that take crystal filters.
    http://pipepages.com/59dhc24

I do believe they are the filter in question, and your pipes previous owner tried one in a pipe.

14. dwaugh

You think so, the "slim" crystal filters seem to be 6mm, this filter is 3.5mm? -David

15. jpberg

Where are you getting the 6mm measurement from?

16. dwaugh

I got the 6mm diameter from here http://www.wesleys.co.za/dhcigaretteaccessories.html I think these are the "slim" blue cap, filters described in the link you posted.

I did find these filters, they seem to be ~the size. I also found this link (on the page, search for "Dunhill offered" that suggests that Dunhill made 2mm filters.... two would be smaller that what I have here. It seem puzzling that it would be hard to track down given the collectability of Dunhill stuff:msty:
    -David

17. jpberg

Even as collectable as the stuff is, a certain amount does slip by the wayside.....items like these filters, which were manufactured for, not by Dunhill, and I'm sure were to be used in conjunction with cigarettes should be a little tougher to track down.

That being said, we don't have any hardcore Dunhill collectors on this site. If we had, they would probably answer our question in a minute.

18. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

if anyone can get that pipe back into smoking shape its you

19. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'll wager the cake is the only thing
    holding that bowl together! :eek:
    It'd be nice to see it restored. BTW,
    I know someone who's eyesight isn't
    the greatest, AND he has a Dremel. ;)

dwaugh likes this.
  20. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Ooooohhh. The terms "eyesight isn't the greatest" and "Dremel" shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.