Dunhill Management

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by FranceJackson, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranceJackson

FranceJackson New Member

I am looking for the name & contact details of someone of director level at Dunhills, they seem to be well hidden.

My new Dunhill pipe was returned to Dunhill, London, as it was weeping gunge, I had the pipe returned saying no problem could be found.

Two fills later same problem again. Having been very impressed with Dunhill service & products for over 40 years, I really feel the need to complain

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum. I don't believe you're going to find this kind of information here, but good luck in your quest.

3. Iain

Iain Active Member

Fills!? In a Dunhill, that surprises me.

4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Hello and welcome to PSF.

Please be a bit more descriptive.
    What shape Dunhill?

What do you mean by "it was weeping gunge?"

And when you say "two fills later..." do you mean two smoked bowls? Or do you actually mean fills in the briar (*that would be very surprising)>

What, exactly, is the problem? It gurgles? Is it literally leaking something through the bit?

"Weeping gunge" sounds like a filthy/wet pipe to me.

5. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

If you bought the pipe through a Dunhill PPD or another retailer I would ask them. Is the goo seeping through the bowl coating?

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Dunhill as I understand it is no longer in the pipe business in any invested way. They no longer sell pipes at the flagship store, for example, from what I've been told.

So "management" is unlikely to know much or care much about it. The pipes are manufactured in an unspecified location by unspecifed folks. There is no clarity and no communication from the company on this. It's like they have a profitable by unsavory sideline in selling pipes, but don't actually want to be involved in it.

7. Goat

Goat Active Member

Weeping gunge??????
    :popc:

8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Where did you buy this Dunhill ? :popc:

9. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

Very good to know. I was unaware of that.

10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I don't buy it. This guy just wants you to buy his pipes instead. :)

But really, that is good to know. I've heard several times now that Dunhill is not a company to buy a pipe from anymore. Sucks too, because I always was fascinated by Dunhill and their high standards and excellent products. The only Dunhill I own is a fantastic smoker, but it's older than me, having been made in 1976. I guess the moral of the story is that there are plenty of nice estates out there, should you need to scratch that Dunhill itch.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has any input on this.

11. Bent

Bent Member

I hope our friend replies because now I, too, am curious.

12. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Dunhill says they sold the pipe and tobacco business years ago, with the right to use their name. I have never been able to find out who bought it or where they are. The pipes still say made in England. One pipe dealer who was turned down for a dealership is spreading rumors that they are made in Italy. I doubt this, but the blocks may be being roughed out in Italy. They are as good as they were years ago. Whoever makes them follows the Dunhill system of curing and manufacture. If you know who it is, please let us know. Their tobaccos say "made in the EU," which probably means an Eastern EU country. I also do not know what you mean by grunge. Do you use pipecleaners? I have had over 50 Dunhills and none of them leaked.

13. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

The tobaccos come from Orlik (Scandinavian Tobacco), which is based in Denmark.

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I thought Orlik stopped production and it was now someone else. It was Orlik for years, Murray's before that. Right now I'm not sure.

15. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Where is the 1-800 Dunhill information number when you need it?

"Yes, can you tell me, precisely, where you source your briar?"
    "Can you tell me where your stummels are cut, how, and by whom?"
    "Can you tell me where you source your stem materials, where they are cut, and who produced them?"
    "Why don't you finish the button on your pipes?"
    "Where is your tobacco grown? Where is it aged? Where is it processed? By whom?"
    "Finally, can you tell me how you accomplish the shell finish?"

I don't think they'd answer 'em, but I'd ask.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Bannard can tell you all about the shell finish.

Spillproof likes this.
  17. Bent

Bent Member

The meaning depends on the context and can be used in different sentences where the meaning is obvious. Here is a lesson in linguistics for all of you.

For example: "Those enchiladas I had for lunch have me weeping gunge"
    Example 2: "Hey boss, I'm calling in today. I have the flu and woke up weeping gunge"
    Example 3: Too inappropriate for the forum

Well, that gives you an idea. I view this as a lesson in the finer points of our beautiful English language but, since I'm no professor, I'm probably weeping gunge out of my mouth.

:poop:

Rewster66, jdto, SidZiff and 4 others like this.
  18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Dunhill forgot how to do the Shell finish a long time ago.

I could tell you how. Even give you a link, Spill. But..... I don't think you need to know.

Spillproof likes this.
  19. FranceJackson

FranceJackson New Member

Firstly let me thank you all for your replies all of which I found helped me.

Weeping: on my bent pipe where the oval with the Dunhill name inside is, there seems to be 8 invisible pinprick holes where spittle leeks out.

The pipe was brought from the South African imported.

I have now reached the age when I regularly smoke all my Dunhill pipes all except this one pre 70’s,

What’s the point of keeping them. I do think that Dunhill smokes better than any of my other pipes but if I am tempted to buy any more will get pre 70’s re-furbished ones.

FlatbushPaul and jpberg like this.
  20. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

"It was weeping gunge but the penicillin seems to have stopped it...."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.