Dunhill Nightcap

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Trauma, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Description: "A rich blend of Virginias and Latakia for late in the day. It is a slow, lasting smoke. Just prior to packing, expensive Perique tobacco is added to enhance the bouquet."

This blend seems to have a reputation of being a good evening smoke and all around decent blend. I popped the tin last week, and I'm smoking my third bowl of it right now. It's tin aroma is excellent with heavy lats and bright virginia's, it really smells great. I was really excited to try this one out, especially after tin aroma. After these few bowls I personally don't think it lives up to its reputation. I think this blend really confirms for me how much I love heavy lat blends, and how this one is light on it's lat content. I'll keep the blend, but for me it just kind of a flat smoke.

Anyone else get this impression with Nightcap?

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I like Nightcap and I think it's a good blend for what it is but there are other Lat blends that I like better. Pirate Kake, Penzance, Bulkan Sobraine, etc. I guess I like a little more Latakia in my blends too.

I'm all out of Nightcap and I don't plan to get more anytime soon but I predict that there will come a time when I'll buy another tin.

IrishRover and JRobert like this.
  3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

About a year ago I was having my first smoke of NC, and really enjoying it's complexity and rather nutty flavor. I hadn't had any in quite awhile and was/still am really looking forward to being re-introduced to it. Well the first couple of bowls weren't quite up to what I remember, maybe the comparison with recent lat blends offered too much of a difference in taste. That being said "it's not over Jerry"... I will soon be trying it again, maybe a different pipe etc, different variables.
    I know Nightcap has excellence, I just have to pack my gear and go on a quest for it again.

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Nightcap's reputation for a Lat bomb may be exaggerated, but IMHO it's reputation as an excellent blend isn't. I may be biased, as this was one of the first Englishes I developed a taste for, and has stayed in heavy rotation ever since. I really enjoy the full flavor and nic content, the Perique kick behind it really makes it shine for me. For me this blend has a little more kick than some of the heavy lat blends. I end most days with Nightcap in an English dedicated meer:snork:

Yankee Bill likes this.
  5. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I agree with this. Nightcap is a seriously excellent blend and even though I don't smoke a lot of it, it has a special place in my memory.

6. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I've only smoked through one tin of nightcap and it's been quite awhile ago. From memory my impression is basically 965 that had some perique added. Nice enough but didn't impress me enough for another tin. Maybe time for a re-visit. :)

7. Biggles

Biggles Member

It gets much better with a little age on it, IMHO. ;)

CalPiper likes this.
  8. Splat

Splat Member

+1000. :)

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My taste preferences notwithstanding, what I don't understand about it is why Dunhill thought smokers wanted a burst of nicotine just before bedtime. :msty:

10. Splat

Splat Member

Because, for me at least, it calms me down. For others nicotine energizes them. I can't drink soda or coffee any time after 6pm and still sleep soundly, but I can have a bowl of Nightcap at 9pm and be asleep by 11. :puffy:

Jussto likes this.
  11. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Aged definitely helps out. Got a few tins about a year ago and cellared them and the taste is much smoother now than when first opened. Of course after a few bourbons everything seems nicer! :drunk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.