1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by MakDragon, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I was searching for a new pipe and my nostalgia part of me would like to get a British made pipe for my collection. I've been reading about the history etc of Dunhills and proceded to looke for one when a local tobacco store owner said their quality is not what it used to be. Does anyone have any opinions on this matter? Thank you from a newbie here on the boards.

2. beeftip

beeftip Member

Does it have to be new or will an estate fit the bill? I have a couple of Dunhill's from the early '60's and they're pretty decent smokers. They were also much cheaper than new by at least a third of the price.

I think where most people get hung up is on the price/value ratio on the new Dunhill pipes, especially when considering what you can buy in the way of an single artisan handmade pipe at the same price point.

Have you looked at the new Ashton pipes being produced by Jim Craig? They seem to be very well made as well as British.

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Older Dunhills are very well made pipes, though for my money, over-priced. The new ones are no longer made by Dunhill...the brand divested itself of everything tobacco related some years back. I'm not even sure who makes them now, but quality seems to have suffered from this. I've read of people with new dunnies with fills and mis-drilled drafts. If you MUST have a Dunhill, I would suggest you look at the estate market.
    Myself, I would spend my money on a good North American Artisan pipe.

4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Thank you all. I shall continue my quest!

5. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

Yeah I recomend Ashton as well, its a Dunhill but better and costs less, it was started by former Dunhill employees. I have one and love it, I'll be getting another some time. Dunhill may be almost as good, but twice the price.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Ian Walker in Stockport England makes some very nice pipes for reasonable prices under Northern Briarworks. They are currently on my PAD list. You can buy them at many different places, but The Briary has a pretty good selection: The Briary NB Pipes

I believe Rattray's pipes are made in England and are nice for the price as well: Rattray's at The Briary

I love the poker w/the military stem on the above page.

7. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I have just one Dunhill, and it is older than I am. It is quite a good pipe, and I paid a fair price for it, although, perhaps a bit over what a comparable quality used pipe would cost. I don't think I'd pay what they ask for new Dunhill pipes.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Over the years I've had collections of pipes I've bought and sold . Many hundreds . I smoked alot of them , some more than others , and out of all of them three stand out as the best . An old Dunhill Innertube from ... I forget .. but way back .. and an old Dunhill shell pot that I had but it got lifted back in 96 . . That sucked pretty bad . I've got an old gourd meer that smokes better than anything ... got it at an antique fair in England [ 5 pounds ..lol ] so at least its British . I havent smoked a newer Dunhill in probably 15 years or so . Anyway , I think dunhill is able to make a killer pipe and I think their shapes are about as good as it gets . Youre gonna pay for one no doubt .. but what the hell . Are there better pipes for the price ? probably .. just get one that really speaks to you and it wont matter anyway

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I don't own any old Dunnies but the ones I do have and have smoked are among the very best smokers. All are around 10-15 yrs old. Workmanship and engineering are all top notch IPO (in Puff's opinion). Smokin' one right now and she's doin' me real fine! I say if ya want a Dunny, get one! Even if you score something else like maybe an Ashton or an Upshall..............................you'll still "jones" a Dunny! Trust me. ;)

I recommend keeping your eyes open and even consider ebay as your not so local twisted b&m. Old and new, used and new, some nearly new or barely smoked much if any at all!

As for the old Dunnies, I have never smoked one (as in older than 15 yrs old) so I cannot comment. I do believe mid-60's and earlier are the sought out ones but my current production Dunnies smoke real fine. They're all shell so I can't see any obvious "fills" and they look sharp & sexy! ;)

Best of luck on your quest! And do let us know whatchya get!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I have one billiard from 1964 and a '90-something cherrywood. As t-bear said there are some complaints about the more recent pipes but I could say both of mine are superb.

11. Burner

Burner Member

I'd advise the original poster to visit pipedia and check out the Dunhill information there.

12. mpchem

mpchem Member

I recently bought two Dunhill estates ('80 and '81) from SP and they're great. Both are probably my best smokers, and I'll probably get more.

13. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Tons of opinions on Dunnies. I have five, three I bought new and two estates. They are all newer, ie, post 1980, and all are very good, but not my best smokers. According to who you ask there are different dates for when the "good ones" quit being made. I have two Ashtons, and QC is a problem with them. I have a dozen Upshalls, made by the chief carver from Dunhill, and they are excellent smokers, but also are not cheap. I would pick up an older Dunnie, ie, early sixties or earlier, just to have one, and try it for yourself.

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I have some, ranging from '59 - '61. They're fine - right proper smokers. I was never bitten by the mystique bug, so I can't ramble on about them. The newish pipes are laugh out loud super overexpensive, less than perfect quality controlled shells (get it?) of their former selves.

As many others have said, look for early Ashtons, '50s - '60s Dunnies, Upshalls, or one of many of the other old guard, great London pipes.

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Oy.

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'll be here all week.

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've never smoked or handled an old Dunhill, but the new ones I have looked at were less than perfect, and in fact less than even good in many ways. Slight misalignments of shank and stem, slots cut crookedly compared to the button, just little stuff. But why would I pay 600 dollars for a french stummel finished poorly in England? Well... I wouldn't.

For 250 I'd rather have an Ashton.

I'd buy a pipe from Sasquatch but he treats me like a nobody. :thumbsd:

18. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

That's understandable Todd....perfectly! :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.