Dunhill Standard Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AK Kilted Guy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

I bought a tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture a couple weeks back when I was on vacation down in the lower 48. I've not yet had a bowl, as I've been busy and want to be able to sit and enjoy it.

My experience with toby so far is PA, and a couple aromatics that I've bought here in state. I am excited to try it out, though a bit nervous that I may not like it.

Anyhow, I'll give my impressions when I give it a go.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I hope you enjoy it!

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I haven't tried the new version, but the old Standard Mixture Medium was a true benchmark of the English style. Personally, I thought it was good, but there are other things that I like better in terms of English blends. If you are new to them, it's a great place to start, though. Hope you enjoy it!

Herb

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It'll be different. If you like PA, though, I daresay you'll like Standard Mixture. Not because they're anything alike, mind you, just a feeling I have about where tastes overlap. SM has a little Latakia and some nice leathery orientals. Classic English. Puff easy at first, it might be a little more prone to biting than you're used to. It's also something that I seem to like better when it's on the moister side. 'Course everyone's different. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1. It's one of my favorite "English" blends. I like "English" blends to be dominated by the VA's, with the Orientals bringing up the rear and the Latakia lending some support. This blend really delivers in that respect.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Damnit...another 1 to the TAD list! heh Thanks RTO

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I havent had the new offering ... heard it's good though . The older one for sure was a benchmark blend , no doubt about it . It was my favorite English blend by far . It , along w/ PS EOS were the only two English style blends that knocked my socks off .... IRC Royal is a pretty good mello English

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Just doin' my part as an enabler.

9. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Yep, I am new to the English blends. Sounds like I picked a good one to start with by the reactions here. Probably going to have a bowl at my lunch break.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I find it very close to what it was. Not sure I'd know the difference.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats good news ! Thanks Moo . I have some great memories smoking DSM [ medium mainly ]

12. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

So I had a bowl of this at lunch. I must say it was a good smoke. I had it in a MM cob (not sure the model).

I let it air out for about 20 minutes or so before I smoked it, as it was a bit moist out of the tin. It had a good flavor. I'd say it was the most flavorful smoke I've had yet. I don't know how to describe it other than it tasted somewhat similar to a good mild cigar. It wasn't overpowering, but it let you know it was there.

One thing I did note was that it burned to a very fine grey ash that I've not experienced before.

Will this be my go to smoke? Not as of yet. Is it a keeper. For sure.

13. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Had another bowl of this today. I didn't let it dry first as I was going to be driving and it seemed that it made sense to let it be a bit more damp. Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

For me, I'd sum up this toby as tasting like.... tobacco. It may sound funny, but that's just the best way I can describe it. Not too strong, not too bland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.