Dunhill Tobacco Differences

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jdto, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Active Member

I have just opened three tins of Dunhill to transfer their contents to jars, but I am trying to get an idea on the differences between them.

They are 965, Standard Mixture and London Mixture.

Any thoughts? They all smell very similar. I just smoked 965 in my IMP and it was great, so I suppose I should smoke the other two in that pipe to get an even comparison, but I'd love to hear what people think.

2. jdto

jdto Active Member

No one? I've tried searches and come up dry.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Daddy used to say - "Suck it and see!" :) .......I never open a tin and transfer to a jar....I just open a tin - and smoke it! ;)
    OT

shadow, Hawkwood and jdto like this.
  4. jdto

jdto Active Member

I have too many tins to do that, considering my smoking rate. The concern I had with the tins was, I could catch a whiff of the tobacco, which would seem to indicate the tin wasn't completely sealed, which led to worry about drying out.

On the other note, I suppose that's what I'll do :D There are worse fates than having to sample great tobacco!

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

965 was a staple for me for many years. It has a nice burst of flavor with each draw and a mellow finish. I find it much tastier than the other two.

London Mixture is, to me, the real standard for English blends, despite the "Standard" designation for the other one. I found it kind of uninvolving when fresh but put 5-10 years of age on it, and it becomes a classic. None of the sharpness of 965, this one is more subdued. Flavorful but not intrusively flavorful. 965 was one that announced itself loudly and delivered. LM delivered but without the boisterousness of 965.

Standard Mix... well, I haven't smoked any of the Orlik variety but the Murrays was kind of bland to me. Ok, just nothing to get too excited over. The Standard Mixture Mild was about as boring a smoke as I've ever had. Something to smoke when you don't care what's in your pipe (IMHO). The Medium was ok, but nowhere near a reference blend for me.

To me, the 3 are nothing alike.

shadow and jdto like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Active Member

Thanks, dmkerr. I guess my nose needs some more training on distinguishing the tin aroma. I'm sure that the proof will be in the smoking for me.

7. Marker

Marker Active Member

I have only had a little of the 965 but it impressed me fully. Dedicating that to my good briar pipe since I enjoyed it so much.

8. dmkerr

My nose ain't so great, either. I'm basing it on taste. They all pretty much smell the same to me, too!

Yep, the proof is in the smoking. Your own personal smoking. My tastes are pretty worthless compared to your own experimentation. Plus it's fun to taste test! ;)

Rodfather and jdto like this.
  9. jdto

jdto Active Member

Agreed. I guess, since last night's smoke in the IMP was my first ever one light, all the way down to ash, no dottle smoke, I'll try to suffer through a couple more like that with the other two tobaccos :D

dmkerr and Marker like this.
  10. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I don't think, once Latakia is introduced to the party, that smell is a reliable standard for telling the difference between similar tobaccos.

Rodfather, dmkerr, Coda and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Woops, wrong thread.

12. jdto

jdto Active Member

London Mixture is gooooooood. Very smooth, with some sweetness coming through, but also some almost buttery moments. Not as much of the incense as I got from 965, which was also very enjoyable. I like these two so far! Tomorrow, I'll try the Standard. Less smokey and fragrant, but with that buttery note I didn't get from 965, so I can definitely see the difference now. My noob taste buds are getting a treat!

I should add, second pipe in a row with 0 relights!

dmkerr and Coda like this.
  13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

14. dmkerr

Agreed. Unless the latakia is overabundant in one and really light in another. It has an unmistakable aroma that tends to dominate the rest of the leaves.

15. dmkerr

That's about as astute an analysis as I've ever seen. Totally agree.

16. jdto

jdto Active Member

Now onto the Standard Mixture. It's definitely not as clearly-defined in terms o flavour as the other two. Some butteriness, but less smooth than London, while not having the top notes from the 965 (less of the incense). There is a nice whiff of sweetness, but without the creamy feeling of London. Definitely a bit rougher than London,as I progress. It's still a nice tobacco it after the other two, it's not shining as much as it could. About halfway down, the lat is taking on more shape, but there is still a bit of an acrid quality to the room note that was absent with 965 and London. Of course, it's only one bowl, so we'll see, but the other two will be bought again based on that, while this one will need to convince me. Of course, my experience is far from vast, so I'll take that into account. Nicotine is solid, though.

17. jdto

jdto Active Member

After another round of these, London Mixture and 965 are the winners. Standard was a little less impressive to me. I still need to try EMP.

18. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

EMP is like London Mixtute light, it's a great anytime of day smoke, mild yet shows it's complexity's..

19. jdto

jdto Active Member

I should add that Flake didn't do a lot for me. I have jarred it for further evaluation. It tasted sort of ammonium-like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.