1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhill's

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi guys,

What do you guys think about dunhill pipes? Are they overhyped?

2. muddler

muddler Member

I have a few that I was either given or picked up off Ebay. They're very good pipes in terms of engineering & finish. And classic style. I don't plan to buy more Dunnies. They simply do not smoke any better than my GBD's & definitely not better than the Pietenpauws I own. They do have a certain mystique about them though. As for the super high prices of the new Dunnies, you're paying for the brand & pride of ownership. Having said all of that, maybe every pipe smoker needs to own one, if only to get it out of his system.

Rodfather and jpberg like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Dunhill makes, or rather, made, a really good pipe, no question about it. Top quality from probably 1920 to 2000. Some time recently the brand was sold off, it exists solely as a way to market mediocre pipes now, most with recognizeable flaws in workmanship.

I bought one when I found one I like. And it's a great pipe, no question. But.... I think overall.... I like a bit more beef in my pipes and I'd trade my Dunnie for a Castello or an Autograph.

Really... if you find a Dunhill you like, especially an older one - pick it up and see. They're good.

4. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Short answer, yes.

Vaquero and Sasquatch like this.
  5. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I have two. My Chestnut that is quite new that I got for a (relatively speaking) steal of a price for a new Dunnie. It is thankfully free of any of the issues Sas mentioned as being common, and it has been a very good smoker for me. I mostly save it for English blends which I don't smoke often so it doesn't get used often, but it is a good pipe. My favorite is an old root briar PO shape (bulldog with a very slight bend) that I absolutely adore. It was well loved by it's previous owner -- obviously smoked a lot, but in decent shape all things considered. Walker Briar Works cleaned it up for me and it's now one of my favorite pipes. That price was worth every penny that went into it and then some (and that was about $60 when all was said and done). In general, I'm happy that I have them, but I don't find the world to be a better place because of it :D

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There's a hundred ways to judge this too, David. How can a brand with a hundred years of snobby history, an archetypal pipe manufacturer be over-hyped? It's a Great brand.

On the other hand.... there are pipes with finer bits, pipes with nicer blasts, pipes with better grain, pipes that cost less.... all you can do is decide which of these factors is important to you. I had 500 bucks in-hand a month ago, to buy a pipe with. I didn't even consider a second Dunhill.

7. OBro

OBro Member

+1 to what everyone here has said. I got my estate Dunhill for a steal on Ebay. I really like the classic styles, and had an opportunity at one. It is an extremely well made pipe, and smokes great. I think you can have just as fantastic of pipe for less of a price tag, but there is no doubt they made a great pipe.

JimInks and shadow like this.
  8. David Emond

thanks guys, saw a few cumberlands on the bay today and was asking my self why are these cumberlands under 200$ and the other dunhills over 300$ ?
    Also i wanted to ask you guys why do they call some of their briars shell briar ?

Anyways the cumberlands that i saw have a smooth rim and the rest is sand blasted, very nice pipes.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Shell briar = dark sandblast. Oil cured unti... probably the sixties or maybe even the 70s. No longer oil cured.

David Emond likes this.
  10. David Emond

ahhh ok thanks Sas :)

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

If I had to sell my pipes, the Dunhills (eleven of them) would be the last ones to go!
    I've never paid more than £70 for a Dunhill and never owned a new one..... but the temptation is there to get one brand new.:bing:

David Emond likes this.
  12. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

For someone like me who grew up with the idea that Dunhills were the best pipes made, it was always a goal to own one. I have seven Dunhills and they are all great smokers. Four of the seven were bought for me as presents, and the three I purchased were estates. From what I hear, the ones made before 1990 are better than what's been made since. I do have other brands of pipes that smoke just as well and some even better than my Dunhills, but for many years, very few manufacturers made better pipes. At their best, they are worth the money and live up to the hype, but you can get good new pipes cheaper these days. Buy an estate if you have to have one.

Kiowapipe, David Emond and Basher like this.
  13. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Well the question is overhyped? thats a touchy question for some. I agree that the older ones had a reputation for a reason. In their day they were decent pipes. I have heard MANY guys state that the newer ones from the late 1980's up are not as great as the old ones. I can honestly say that right now-in todays world that for the money a artisan pipe CANNOT be beat as far as best bang for the dollars spent. If I were to even consider a Dunhill it would have to be a older estate. I will not spend the kind of money they are assking these days for one--thats just me though. Again if you have to have one--look at older estates.

David Emond likes this.
  14. David Emond

So right now new dunhill prices are solely based on the brand name . Peterson pipes range from 70 to 220$ dunhill goes from 300 and 500$ xmas pipes goes over the 1k mark.

15. Bob K

Bob K Member

I have several, all gifts. I find them significantly over-priced. Would never buy one.

David Emond likes this.
  16. furious

furious Junque collector

I have said it before on this forum and I'll say it again: Dunhill was THE pre-eminent pipe manufacturer for most of the 20th century. Since then, however, the company has changed as has everything else we look for in an old estate pipe. For my money, no factory pipe on the planet could surpass Dunhill in terms of overall level of quality, style, and fit/finish before 2000. Since then, however, I would hesitate to make that statement.

Another point of note: many factory pipe manufacturers came close to Dunhill's standard of excellence: Sasieni (execution), Barling (briar), Leeds Ben Wade (engineering), and a few others, but these firms did not survive. Point is that Dunhill made great pipes for longer than most of the very best which was due in large part to the marketing genius that was Mr. Alfred.

David Emond likes this.
  17. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I have to disagree with most of you. I have an awful lot of Dunhill pipes. I got the first in 1957 or 58, the last one this week. There has not been a decline in quality, though the company indeed has been sold. I will post some pictures when I get time.

Tony Malerich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.