1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dunhills

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by PipeMeister, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

I purchased my first Dunhill pipe the other day, a Bulldog Shell Briar Group 4. I'm salivating at the bit, really can't wait to have it in my hands! Worst part is, I'm already itching to buy another (OK, I know I need help), heck I haven't
    even gotten my first one yet!

I'm feeling rather guilty, 2 kids and the wife :flowers: , mortgage , you know the drill, but I can't help it.. I want another Dunhill...IS this normal...am I doomed....ok, I'm paying the bills no problem, so it's not like I'm sacrificing necessities for these beauties. Sigh, what say folks, should I take a PAD rest, or keep goin while the going is good!

BTW, I purchased 4 new Comoy's this past month as well, still haven't received them.. promise pictures when the lot's come in! I'm doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :money:

PipeMeister

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmmm....fascinating!...er...do you actually smoke a pipe?...or just lust for them? :eek:hyeah: ;)

3. nobler son

nobler son Member

I'd say hold off a bit. Nothing wrong with treating yourself every once in a while. I'd even say there's nothing wrong with going overboard every once in a while. But no need to give the wife ammunition, eh? :brick:

May not be a bad idea to use that money to get a little something for her. Build up a little credit.

4. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Do something nice for the family, buy another Dunhill next month.

P.S. Next month is on Tuesday.

tallan likes this.
  5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

If you find one where the price is right, well you have to go for it. But one thing I have learned is there are always another one down the road. Just don't get yourself in trouble. It is so addicting!

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm going to post in absolute seriousness here (for once).

I can't determine if you (meister) should or could buy 1 or ten more dunhills this week/month/year. That's up to you, your budget, your conscience, etc.

I can say with absolute authority that buying pipes CAN be a little addictive, there's a fun sort of "I wonder how good this one will smoke" sort of thing to it. But it literally can be an aquisitive disorder, and I've seen people come to ... grief, let's just say. This can amount to your wife being pissed at you, which, hey, we've all had the opportunity of. But it can come to not quite having enough money in hand to get your kid to the dentist, or to quite make the mortgage that month.

Where do you draw the line? That's up to you. But a guy has to know that dropping enough money on pipes to buy a set of tires, or fix the furnace, or whatever, comes to an end for most of us sooner rather than later if we want to stay married, own a house, etc.

If you're wealthy, and this is a "drop in the ocean" then that's great - more power to you. But for the workin' Joe, one or two nice pipes a year is probaby a maximum, and lots of folks don't even manage that.

Take 'er easy. :cheers:

7. Legend

Legend Member

Tobacco prices are going up, suppliers closing shop (WV SMokeshop), some blends are difficult to get a hold of (Stonehaven, Sam Gawith, Butera, et al). Prognosis: buy tobacco instead! Cellar! The pipes will still be around, I gaurantee it!

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Sage words in the above posts. Believe me, you can go overboard on a maker/carver....especially if it's what you've always wanted. Don't let it get outta hand though.

Pipage will always be around choicer tobies are quite tight at times. The choice is yours and if you can do both........do it!

I've halted PAD (momentarily) by a sudden influx of toby causing a serious TAD-attack. So, the choice is yours.

Let us know what you do/get! ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Don't despair! We all salivate at the bit! Now if you were salivating at the bowl, I'd worry! :0laugh:

As for the rest, I agree with Sasquatch. PAD can be fun but when it becomes OCD, the fun goes rather quickly. Only you can determine where you are financially.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

In a possible future where pipe tobacco is scarce (really scarce, I mean), a pipe, wether a cob or a Comoy, becomes decorative. Not dismissing your desire for more, but there is logic in dropping 'play' money on tobacco, so I agee with that sentiment.

That said, there is one other reason I can think to hold off on another pipe(for the moment)...breaking them in. Sounds like you will soon have your hands full...I say kick back so that you can take your time, slowly getting to know each one in turn. Maybe it's me, but so many quality pipes at once would be a sort of sensory overload. Again, maybe it's just me.

Regardless of your decision, enjoy what you got, bud!

11. yinyang

Just realized why it would be sensory overload to me...my version of a quality pipe is a cob WITHOUT an Elmer's glue fix!

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yinyang, do you mean to say that you have such a snob-cob? Or merely that if you were to have one, it would be the rolls-royce of your collection?

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Everybody needs a second pipe, so I say "scratch the itch" and get another nice pipe to address the urge (lest it become a neurotic fixation), and then focus on tobacco or other aspects of pipe smoking. New briar pipes can be very expensive, but there are alternatives. Consider corncob pipes - Missouri Meerschaum makes several different styles, they're wonderful pipes, and all under $30. Or consider a Dr. Grabow - no collection is complete without one, and most can be had for under $50. Finally, just check out antique and estate sale shops - these are often the source of very pleasant surprises when it comes to pipes.

However, since you have those four Comoy's on the way, maybe focus on the tobacco or your smoking area. OTC's like Prince Albert or Carter Hall are great old-time classics and won't break the bank. Check online sources like Pipes and Cigars or Cup O'Joes and try their bulk tobaccos (again, they won't break the bank) or pick up a pipe rack. Go to Wally World or Target (kitchen supplies section) and buy some jars to store your tobaccos. Check garage sales and pick up a decent smoking chair, a book case to hold your pipes and tobacco, and an end table or something to put next to the chair for your ashtray.

Welcome to an art/hobby that will offer you years of relaxed contentment and satisfaction... or neurotic fixation if you loose balance. Pipe smoking is all about slowing down to enjoy life, so don't race to get as much as possible as soon as possible - just sit back and enjoy the slower pace.

14. yinyang

Surely a girl can dream...(Elmer's is a luxury...luckily, I'm handy with scotch tape.)

15. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Wow..lots of excellent feedback everyone!!

Where to start.. hmmm.

I totally agree that tobacco should not be forsaken for the want of pipe(s)!
    Rest assured, I have actually hoarded (cellared) about 15 Pounds since last summer, I have quite the gamut of tobacco now (so much cheaper buying online from the U.S.A than up here at the local B&M..), most of it quality stuff (ok, highfalutin!) All the goodies we know and love ,Sammy Gawith, Mcclelland,, GLP, even picked up some sealed tins of Dunhill Durbar and finally got the ever aloof Esoterica (couple bags)..and..I hate to admit it, but I have about 14 more tins enroute as well, assorted types, lots of Virginias and a few Aros, , you've taught me well and scared the dickens outta me with the Tobacco tales of what may come to be!

I'm not rich by any means, I do have my own company and business is good, we all know that could change in an instant these days so I'm not under any illusions. I'm in my early 40's and feel like I deserve to spend a little on "me", not being selfish (I hope) just realistic. I'm also not maxing out CC's or any other stupidity so believe me when I say I'm being fiscally responsible (to some degree).

In all honesty, my better half is , er, shall we say not "totally" aware of my recent purchases (though my sons are.. heck they are the ones encouraging me.. Yea...it's my kids fault!!) but.. I DID buy her a very expensive Sewing Machine last week (see, I'm not totally stupid!).

Here's what I'll do, I will probably buy one more Dunhill pipe this month,err, I mean for the next while, since there's a very sweet Ruby Bark that haunts me in my sleep :beerhat: , so I might just have to swallow my pride and buy the damn thing so I can finally get some rest but that will be the LAST Dunhill for now.. (promise!).

When the whole lot comes in I will post pics!! Should be all here in 5-10 days (fingers crossed).

I heartily agree with those that stated the break in period for the new pipes will be important! I will probably start with just 2 or 3 initially and go from there.

Finally, lest we forget pipers, YOU are all to blame!! Had I not learned so much about Pipes and Tobby this past year from this forum, I'd be a richer man! But I thank you all nonethless, for the sheer pleasure in smoking and collecting pipes, well, it's second to none for me! :goodjob: :cheers:

PipeMeister

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Enjoy your new pipage! :)

When I retired from the USAF I bought meeself a couple of Dunnie Milleniums (4103 & 5103) and 10 years later I picked up my 3rd & 4th (1 Quaint and a 3 Small "bash"). Dunnies are nice but so are many many others...............carvers right here on PSF whip up awesome pieces!

Good you're workin' on yer toby stash/cellar! You'll be glad you did! ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

17. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Some of us find what we like (after skipping around) and then go with it; some of us never have "A" pipe brand, just pipes we like (more and less). If you set your sites on Dunhills I'd only suggest you know the breed well before buying. FWIW I have a pair made 40-years apart - I find one handsome and the other homely and they're both excellent pipes.

18. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

You said paying the bills was no problem, so I say buy more Dunhills. Dunhills are made for people who don't have to sweat the small stuff. That's why I don't have any.

19. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and enjoy the pipes when they arrive!

All I would add to what's been said is that I think if it were me I'd take time to get to know and enjoy the batch arriving first before going on to getting more, but that's just me.

Enjoy in good health for many years

Gerry

20. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I think it's natural to want more, but I agree with Gerry. Give the pipes and tobaccos you've ordered a nice workout and hold off buying more unless you come across that one rare "must have". Qhat Mr Strongirish says is true. There's never a shortage of pipes to add to your collection. Enjoy in the best of health!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.