Earliest Tobacco Use in Pacific Northwest Discovered

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by brumoon, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brumoon

brumoon Member

Interesting article.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130312101026.htm

ravnhaus, chud333, Old Codger and 7 others like this.

2. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

You know they had to have smoked pine needles:rolleyes:

3. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Interesting. It occurs to me that right now california smokers arent faring so well. I wonder if the PC cultural trend would self destruct in confusion if tobacco smokers claimed they were continuing an ancient and honored cultural and religious rite practiced by minority tribes for thousands of years.

4. brumoon

brumoon Member

Maybe if we claimed we were descended from those tribes and had minority status they would leave us alone.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

If the article doesn't mention Highstump than it's bunk. He's older than most of the petrified stuff out there.

6. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

[​IMG]

Lucky Duck, Albert, ravnhaus and 11 others like this.
  7. highstump

highstump Active Member

:old:
    Actually, even back then my people avoided California. We don't venture much into Washington state either. The reason; well I'm glad you asked. It's for the same reason Lewis and Clark came to Oregon, we are cheap bastages and Oregon has no sales tax.

Lucky Duck, No Bail, YAPPG and 3 others like this.
  8. ReeRan

ReeRan Member

From an 800 year old pipe, they determined the tobacco to be less than 2% nicotine, realative to "modern" tobacco at 4-8.5%. All of this from a chemical process that these scientists developed. While I am not a chemist, I find this conclusion to be unfounded. For starters, did they compare this to a clay pipe from 800 years in the future that was used to smoke today's tobacco? Where is the data validation?

I am questioning this finding because I feel there is a hidden anti-tobacco in that portion of the article. Tell people that today's tobacco has more nicotine to further demonize smoking. I find that the public is far, far too receptive of scientific publishings.

Still, an insightful article.

9. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

10. ReeRan

ReeRan Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that article refers to cig tobacco. They should relate the native's tobacco smoked in a pipe to today's tobacco smoked in a pipe.

Lucky Duck, YAPPG and Brit abroad like this.
  11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

So, if native peoples in the Pacific Northwest were smoking it almost 1000 years ago, does this mean that the Chinese may have been smoking it? I've seen some stories where it has been speculated that the Chinese were possibly conducting trade with peoples in the pacific northwest hundreds of years ago. So, is it possible that some of that trade involved tobacco?

12. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I wonder what the tobacco use and second-hand-smoke cancer rate was back then.

RTOdhner likes this.
  13. brumoon

brumoon Member

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they were.

RTOdhner likes this.
  14. chud333

chud333 Member

Very cool article.

15. No Bail

No Bail Member

I'm sure others in Oregon, Washington and B.C. will join me in telling the world that no part of California can be considered part of the Great Pacific Northwest. It is simply the West, Left Coast.

pacificflows, Lucky Duck and kb7get like this.
  16. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Hey, now. You can't say we didn't try to disassociate ourselves from the Southern Californians when we tried to secede into the State of Jefferson.

No Bail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.