1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

eBah seller foray63

Discussion in 'Stems & Stummels' started by DGErwin11, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Has anyone bought any of his briar? If so, what do you think of it? I am bidding on 2 lots. He claims they are 40+ years old from Cyprus.

2. paulmac

paulmac Member

I have not purchased from him personally, but I know someone who recommended him to me. I don't think you will make any $500 pipes with his briar as its not plateaux, but I have not heard of any major problems

3. oldworldpipes

oldworldpipes Member

Did you get any blocks from him?

4. DGErwin11

No. The ones I see are smaller than what I like.

5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Actually, you can get some beautiful birds eye/flame grain from ebuchon blocks. The plateaux blocks tend more towards straight grain with birds eye at the terminus. Don't discount a good ebuchon!

jpberg likes this.
  6. DGErwin11

I may have to go back and look again. I think the drawback for me was the size. I have heard ggod things about him and his briar. I am still at a point where I am not ready for plateaux. I have had some ebauchons show some absolutely stunning grains and birds eye.

7. ted

ted Member

DGE, We've had some differences, and that will continue.

You need M2-3, MF 1-2, and MF 2-3, R-2, R-2 1/4, and R 2 1/2.. to make great pipes. Greek Briarwood!

There is no way to make a good sized pipe out of M 1-2 or smaller....

I wouldn't touch this lot if I were making today.............. ted

8. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

Doug, I bought a lot of ebuchons from him months ago. Smaller than I was expecting but it was a newbie purchase. He claims 40 y.o. stock. I can send you a couple if you want to try em out, I can't see myself carving anytime soon, I'm more into resto at this point.

9. DGErwin11

Thanks, but I'll pass his stuff is smaller than what I want. But I have heard good things about his quality.

10. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

I LOVE the unfinished pipes I got from him. And his NOS stems are excellent quality too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.