1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

ebay pipe just arrived!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ryan65, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I have no idea how to fit a stem so I was going to send it in.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Is it a regular push in stem or does it screw in? If it's a regular stem what are the dimensions, length, width, etc... I have some stems but I think they're all a lot bigger than that one.

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Just tossing in my $.02 worth. Whatever you do remember the reason a large bowl like that smoked well was because the draft hole and the hole in the stem were the correct size for the pipe - otherwise pipes like those tend to smoke HOT! If you're lucky enough to get the right ventilation match for the pipe don't change it!

Always hear about "opening" pipes to improve the draw! Well, there is such a thing as too much openness and it can ruin a pipe. The draft hole, stem hole and bowl size and shape need to match correctly for a pipe to smoke well............. Remember: Big open bowel with big open draft = hot pipe!

BTW, I have opened up some of my pipes over the years but only after several months of smoking to make damn sure I will be improving the smokability of the pipe. There's a clown advertising that he "blueprints" pipes. What the hell is that? When someone blueprints an engine or rifle they are making sure ALL the internal dimensions are as designed by the manufacture and then does the machining to those dimensions/tolerances. Ever see a "blue print on a particular pipe? I've seen artistic drawings never a dimensionally accurate "blueprint" calling out tolerances, etc. I can't imagine a pipe maker stating they drill a pipe stem with 3/32" and then drilling it to 1/16", so some clown can then open it up to 3/32" doing an after market "blueprint" job for $50.00.

A good pipe maker knows how to engineer a pipe and does so with great care based on experience. Course, I could be full of poo.......

Will

4. ryan65

ryan65 Member

thanks will, thats why i wanted to send it to a knowledgeable place so they can fit it correctly as I would end up messing it up lol

5. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I got my other ebay pipe in today, a savi sherwood 812. when i pulled off the bit i noticed it had a thin metal tube attached which i thought was strange lol the stem has discoloration, wonder if there is anything around the house i can use to get rid of it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I'd be happy to fit a new stem to the pipe for you at no charge... you just pay the shipping. Stem may not be an exact match to the original... we could discuss the details. I should be able to turn it around in a week.

Send a PM if you are interested.

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Norwoods will do you right. I've used them for years when a repair is beyond my skill level. Send it....you won't regret!

8. ryan65

ryan65 Member

whats their turnaround time for a full restoration? I just won 2 more pipes off of ebay last night, a Dunhill and Charatan, and was thinking about sending them some where.

9. ryan65

ryan65 Member

heres my first attempt at doing a salt and alcohol treatment, waxing the body, and sanding the stem. wish i had a buffer...

[​IMG]

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

The last stuff Floyd did for me was a clean and ream and a sterling band. I had the pipe back in about 7 days. Never had a clean and ream take more than ten days to get back.

11. ryan65

ryan65 Member

after listening to 51flgoose's suggestion about buying a micro sandpaper kit, I spent maybe 30 mins and pretty much got the stem looking like new and I'm very pleased. :jig:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.