Ebay pipes

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Black Adam, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Adam

Black Adam Member

I have been looking for a good deal on Ebay and I do see a lot of pipes being sold. My problem is: How can I tell a good deal from a bad one? I don't know that much about pipes really. there are so many manufacturers and types, how do I really know if the lot is worth buying?

2. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Hey Adam,
    I think it's best to figure out the kind of pipe you want (shape and size) and then focus on what maker you would like to get. A few good all around pipe brands, include Stanwell, Savinelli, Brebbia and Peterson. These are probably the most popular but that's for a reason: they make good quality pipes at reasonable prices.

Since you're new to pipe smoking (and therefore, I'm assuming, you don't have experience with cleaning/restoring a vintage pipe), I would focus on getting a pipe from one of these makers, in good condition, that's in ready-to-smoke condition. A decent pipe from one of these makers can be found on eBay for anywhere between 10 bucks to $40, easily. If you can afford between $40 and $75, I would consider getting a new pipe from one of these makers, as it's well worth it. In other words (and these are words of wisdom I learned here on PSF), spending a little more (or the same amount) on one quality pipe is worth more than spending a little bit here and there on a few cheapie pipes that may not give you a decent smoke experience.

When I first took up the pipe, I bought a lot of cheap, vintage pipes that needed cleaning/restoring. And, while I learned a lot about pipes from learning how to do that (as I had an interest in restoring pipes) I found that the quality of the smoke I had with these was pretty haphazard (some smoked great, others were not so great) . As time went on, though, I picked up a few quality pipes by the makers listed above, and I could feel the difference right away. I now wished I would have bought a quality pipe from the beginning as it really makes a difference in the quality of your smoke and, I would say, helps you to develop good smoking habits sooner than later, as the pipe is not working against you.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forum!

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm going to argue that it's impossible even for an experienced pipester or even pipe maker to say definitively that any particular pipe or lot of pipes is going to work out, based on pix and an eBay description. Hunting something you know about and getting lucky is possible, especially if time is not a factor. But hitting eBay as a newer smoker, saying "I'm going to find some good deals on pipes." and hitting a home run.... is pretty unlikely.

If you find a lot of pipes you like the look of, post it in the "Pipe Stuff on EBay" section and get a second opinion.

Budget's also a factor. Are you looking to spend 15 bucks or 150?

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Sorringowl is right on. There are good deals to be had on eBay, but you have to be both informed as to what you're buying and often times prepared (and able) to put a little restoration and cleaning work into a pipe you pick up there. A new Sav, Stanwell, or Pete is probably a better place to start. Spending even $60-$100 on a new pipe is not that bad a price to pay as you will surely get a decent smoker for your money. Round out your rotation with a few cobs and then you'll have time to research the offerings on eBay while you happily smoke some good pipes. I have built a nice collection myself, including some eBay finds, but I still smoke the first two Savs I bought new and I probably always will.

Gary likes this.
  5. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

You have to do your research on what you are looking for. It is mostly crap shoot. Don't really think I recommend anyone new to pipe smoking to start their shopping on the bay. Buyer beware always.

shadow likes this.
  6. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Nearly all of my pipes have come from ebay but it is a lucky dip. Some that look like bargains turn out to be worthless, others are absolute winners. You just have to be prepared to run the risk. Best bet is to know what pipe you want do a little research and look for that particular pipe.

7. HiloJohnny

HiloJohnny Guest

Welcome, Adam....All of the above advice is is valid and valuable. The only think I'd like to add is....Don't be in a hurry! Take your time and you will find that the time you have taken will pay off in big dividends....:thu:

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

After pondering on this, I'm thinking it's almost impossible to learn without getting burned. Unless you have some guru by your side as you browse (who got burned himself a time or two).

So I guess the best advice I can give is that if you see something, come here to the forum and ask. There's a lot of knowledge here and someone will likely be able to help.

SouthBound likes this.
  9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

In your shoes, I wouldn't be looking to ebay for pipes. Figure out how much you can spend, figure out what shapes you like, and bring your ideas here.

"I can spend 50 bucks on a pipe, and I like bulldogs."

That information, posted here, will get you a lot more sure things than hunting ebay.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

True that. There are other places than Ebay to find good estate pipes.

SouthBound likes this.
  11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Some real solid advice for you here. The one thing I would add is: use ebay as an educational tool. Keep looking at the offerings. If you like a certain style or brand, set up a search for that. Read the descriptions, google the info you find there, and chase some of the links. (That's how I found this forum). You can also tell which pipes have true value by seeing whose bidding on them. Bidders with 4 digit ratings are pros or long time collectors who know their stuff.

Ol Brokedik and shadow like this.
  12. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I'm with SmokeyJoe on this one. I bought some really nice pipes for $100. to $120.00. If you're going to look on Ebay I suggest looking at estate pipes. Click on time 'ending soonest'. When you see a pipe you like, Google it and look for the pipe brand and the pipe itself if you're lucky. This will give you an idea of what that pipe would cost new.If it's a cheap model you may not find anything on it. The better grade of pipe the more information will be available. I've bought several estate pipes from a guy in Fullerton, Calif.

The more time you invest in learning about pipes the better your decision making will be. Give yourself time to learn.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Archer and SmokeyJoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.