• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.

Edward's Good Companion

FireDragon

I smoked this in a cob today. Edward's is an older chain of tobacconists that started in Florida. I've got a half dozen ounces of their tobaccos I bought from the Lakeland store over a decade ago. Good Companion is similar to another one of their top-selling blends, Scottish Moore. I've never had the chance to smoke Scottish Moore, however.

Edwards mostly makes aromatic pipe tobaccos with at least some black Cavendish. But their aromatics are very different from Lane or McClelland's. They do not use propylene glycol or heavy flavors. The tobacco is more "perfumed", perhaps with alcohol-based flavorings. Their tobaccos are also mostly cube-cut and tend to burn a little faster, and have more nicotine than similar American style blends.

Good Companion's top note has faded over time, but it was never strong in the first place. The top note reminds me a bit of Captain Black, only much more subdued. The blend looks burley based, offset by black Cavendish: the actual black color has faded in time to a grey-brown. This blend is only semi-sweet and the black Cavendish lends more of a cool, mellow tone to the smoke. The smoke has quite a bit of body to it, probably owing to the burley, and also a moderate amount of nicotine. Inhaled, the smoke is unpleasant, typical of black Cavendish aromatics. Burning characteristics are very good, it stays lit easily and as long as you don't smoke quickly, doesn't bite. It burns complete down to fine light grey ash.

I really like Edward's blends, and this one is no exception. Unlike Lane's ubiquitous offerings at smoke shops, this one actually delivers a good smoke, even if Edward's blends are not exceptional in flavor, they are dependable . Unfortunately, the online availability is not good. An Edward's smoke shop in Colorado is about the best deal but even there the overall selection is lacking.. So I'm not sure if I'd be buying any more Edward's unless I happen to go over to Lakeland some time.

Last edited:
Very interesting review. I'm very pleased to hear that Edward's does not use PG as a preservative. I've got a bit of Ambrosia, Black Cherry, Black Watch and some Bishop Burley cellared. My favorite Edward's blend is Special Balkan, which is 50% Latakia with Virginia and Burley and I think a bit of Black Cav. I mix it equal parts with Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard (MM 965 match) for what I call My English Blend, but I am having trouble getting the Special Balkan now. I don't know what is happening at Edward's.

FireDragon

I thought it over and I plan to order some more Edward's Scottish Moore and Good Companion, just because the experience was so pleasant. Yes, it'll be harder to get but the tobacco is that good. Quality aromatics are hard to get. Then I'll cellar them in mason jars.

Walt Cannoy

unless I happen to go over to Lakeland some time.
Where are you from? You need to get back over to Lakeland soon! The Lakeland store is transitioning out of the old Edward's tobaccos and getting some new blends in. They have also recently started stocking tins for the first time! We've got a pipe club going too... It's meets officially every other Saturday, and unofficially every Saturday at noon. I am there every Saturday around noon, and I like to hang out for a few hours, so stop by soon and introduce yourself!

I just went to the Edward's store in Fort Collins, CO today and they had just received a shipment including the Special Balkan blend that I like, so I got 4oz to mix with Ol' Limey Bastard. Along with my other tobaccos, that should last for awhile.

FireDragon

I'm in south Orlando. Lakeland is about an hour away. Maybe it's doable. I'm usually unavailable on Saturday's though.

It would be a shame if they dropped the Edward's tobacco but maybe they were not selling well. I don't find tinned tobacco as appealing- I prefer bulk when I can, but I guess tinned is the way to get the premium market, the same type of market that buys cigars. I just don't find tinned tobacco a good value, for the most part.

The tobacconists in Orlando are just not that great for pipe tobacco.... The best one is actually a "smoke shop" run by a Pakistani family down in the Curry Ford / Azalea Park area. Their biggest sales don't seem to be premium cigars... let's put it this way. Lots of hookahs, rolling papers, and water pipes and vaporizers. But, the tobacco selection is actually decent for that sort of place (premium tinned brands, drugstore blends, Peter Stokkebye and Altadis bulk), and he listens to requests.

I went to Old Time Cigars today and bought some pipe cleaners, a humidity button, and looked at their selection- 22 dollars for a tin of Irish Whiskey, holy smokes! I can remember when that sort of thing went for 8-9 dollars at most back before 2000.

I'm in south Orlando. Lakeland is about an hour away. Maybe it's doable. I'm usually unavailable on Saturday's though.

It would be a shame if they dropped the Edward's tobacco but maybe they were not selling well. I don't find tinned tobacco as appealing- I prefer bulk when I can, but I guess tinned is the way to get the premium market, the same type of market that buys cigars. I just don't find tinned tobacco a good value, for the most part.

The tobacconists in Orlando are just not that great for pipe tobacco.... The best one is actually a "smoke shop" run by a Pakistani family down in the Curry Ford / Azalea Park area. Their biggest sales don't seem to be premium cigars... let's put it this way. Lots of hookahs, rolling papers, and water pipes and vaporizers. But, the tobacco selection is actually decent for that sort of place (premium tinned brands, drugstore blends, Peter Stokkebye and Altadis bulk), and he listens to requests.

I went to Old Time Cigars today and bought some pipe cleaners, a humidity button, and looked at their selection- 22 dollars for a tin of Irish Whiskey, holy smokes! I can remember when that sort of thing went for 8-9 dollars at most back before 2000.
If you look at the tobacco reviews website, you'll find more than 1,000 blends of tobacco, the vast majority of which are available online for much less than a B&M has to charge to stay in business. Every state has different levels of taxes on tobacco, but some of the online suppliers are located where they can escape that problem - temporarily.

FireDragon

I'd be curious to read a comparison of Good Companion and Scottish Moore. TobbacoReviews has few reviews for Good Companion, its hard for me to guess how the two tobaccos are different.

FireDragon

I just wanted to add... I ordered some Sutliff Celtic based on the description's similarity to Good Companion, so I'll hopefully have a comparison review in a few days. Pipes and Cigars rates it as medium strength, which is about the same as what TobaccoReview rates most of the Edward's blends, so it will be an interesting comparison.

The Sutliff Mulled Wine also looks very appealing.

Anyone been to Edwards lately? Lakeland is my hometown and last I read the owner died and it was bought out by a cigar guy. I have fond memories of that place back when I just popped in to buy my clove cigarettes. I will be there next week and just wondering...