Edward's Tobaccos?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by steveestewart, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Just checking to see if this is a good place to be getting my smokes from? There is an Edward's Tobacco place near me and was wondering if anyone else gets their tobacco from there? I thought it was a dude's personal shop, but it sounds like its a franchise. I'm trying the Buccaneer and Good Companion Blends atm. Pretty good, but of course I'm fairly new. I'm posting a link to the reviews so this thread is bit helpful for people other than myself.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

The one in JAX is just great - nice folks and good smokes. Where U?

3. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

I'm in Atlanta. The guy in this place is super cool, too. Older guy, but is really willing to impart his wisdom to a younger dude. That works for me!

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Sounds like you found someone who can help you choose out your next pipe! And give you advice on when it's smoking too hot/getting to the end of the bowl...

5. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Yeah, Ive already got my eye on a nice Peterson he has in his shop... :)

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Glad you've found a good one! I'm a great believer in building up relationships with good tobacconists - you get sound info, advised of new releases and the odd bargain or two, plus when you know what you really want they'll move Heaven and Earth to get it for you.

Again "use 'em or lose 'em" is my motto" - so many have closed down now in Britain that it's at least a two hour drive to the three good ones nearest me!

Happy smoking,,

Gerry

7. Brian

Brian Member

I just moved to DC from Atlanta. I know the shop you are talking about. They moved a few months ago. Their old store was a hole-in-the-wall and they were not keeping good stock (at least when I found the shop back in the summer of 2009). The excuse was they were moving.

The new store location is pretty nice. I know that "old guy" you are talking about. Is super cool and VERY helpful. He actually is a long-time pipe smoker, so he knows his stuff.

I tried some of their blends. I think they are OK, but honestly found them a little bland and lacking after a while. Don't take that comment the wrong way, I think their house blends are decent. I think I got tired of all them being the same cube cut. They are good, but not enough that I would order them online remotely. I would probably keep more around if I was still working in downtown ATL.

In particular, I liked their "Honey Bucc." (a burley-cav) That was a super nice blend, very enjoyable and mild. I'd even be tempted to order some of that one day.

I personally liked their Peach Blossom aromatic ... in small amounts occasionally.

Scottish Moor was another nice, mild blend.

I didn't really dig their Supreme (english, heavy latakia). It was too Latakia forward for my personal tastes. I like it more subdued.

I really wanted to try a little of their Supreme Balkan, but I didn't make it back to the shop before I left town.

8. SimeonTurner

SimeonTurner Member

Edwards is my shop of choice here in Denver. I HIGHLY recommend the Drury Lane. It is by far my favorite when I'm not smoking expensive stuff like 3 Oaks and Chelsea Morning. It's light, just a little sweet, and altogether wonderful. :D

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think the edwards shops are first rate ! Used to check out the one in tampa and the fgt people .However , I don't care for their tobaccos . To me there's something common through out many of their blends and whatever it is aint for me ...scottish moore was o.k.

10. Brian

Brian Member

The shop in Atlanta was keeping perhaps 3 or 4 tinned tobaccos around at most. A couple times I went there, they literally had only 3 or 4 tins. It didn't even seem like their house blends were well stocked. *Shrug* Perhaps it really was all about their moving locations when I found them. Seemed like an odd excuse though really. A pipe shop with no pipe tobacco? *boggles* Like most places, they were selling a lot of cigars for their main revenue source though.

The "old guy" there was really cool to talk to though.

I agree on there being something, hard to put my finger on, that was common through all their house blends. They are big on the cube cut burley of theirs in almost everything.

11. Paul99

Paul99 Member

Hello I live In California where I live, Tobacco Republic is the best place I've found so far in the sector of PLacer county and Sacramento, but theres also a place called the Briar Patch That have not gone to yet.

http://fujipub.com/briarpatchcigar/

12. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

yeah, they have quite a bit of tobacco stocked there now. He had a shelf he pulled some suggestions off and there had to be 40+ buckets on the shelf. Not sure if they were all different, but I didn't see any 2 of the same. It seems really well stocked now. The new shop is pretty nice.

I'm trying the Buccaneer blend now, is Honey Bucc different? I like this blend a lot but agree with a few reviews Ive read that its awesome for half the bowl, then it loses its flavor. Do a lot of blends do this?

I haven't tried enough of them to notice what you guys are talking about but I'll keep it in mind. I've got Good Companion also, waiting to try. Said it was one of the best sellers. Did any of you try this one?

13. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Also, Brian, Did you find any other good places in Atlanta other than Edward's? I haven't seen anyone who even smokes pipes. A few cigar shops that 'sell' pipes and tobacco, but don't know anything about them.

14. Brian

Brian Member

"Honey Bucc" is their Buccaneer Cavendish blended with their Honey Cavendish -- a 50/50 mixture. I really liked it. It was mild and sweet (but not too sweet).

I never really found a great shop with good stock in Atlanta, and I hunted around quite a bit. If you are going into Midtown/Downtown ATL, you can try two shops right across the street from each other. "Scottish Tobacco" is in a little shopping center at the corner of Piedmont Rd NE and Sidney Marcus Blvd NE. It had a few tins of McClelland and others there. Right across the street is another place. I think it was called "Ash Cigar." If I am remembering the name wrong, you can't miss it though. You can see it from the Scottish Tobacco parking lot. The owner swore up and down they were going to start stocking pipe tobacco "soon." The store seemed really put together well. They would do a good job I think if they jumped into that market. The owner also was more interested in heading that direction after Edwards moved their location a couple more miles away (Edwards old location was just a little farther down Piedmont)

On a side note, Sweet Water brewing company has their brewery right near by in the general neighborhood. They have sampling after 5PM. :)

Atlanta cigar shops seemed to carry mostly MacBaren products if anything (not the end of the world, but I wanted a little more variety).

In case you try looking for the TinderBox at Lenox mall ... don't bother. They went out of business there. I think there is another one up in Alpharetta that is still open. I didn't get a chance to go up there and check it out. That would be your best bet I think.

The "Old Guy" (hate to keep calling him that, but I forget his name) at Edwards said they weren't keen on keeping big stocks of tinned tobacco because their house blends were more profitable. I bugged him enough to force a confession :)

15. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, we can call the guy running the place 'Ed' until I have a chance to ask his name again. I see what you're saying about the tobacco. I did see a huge variety, but they were all buckets of their house blends (in Edward's tubs). Actually didn't see too many tins of other things. I guess I'm just trying different flavors and such at the moment until i get a little more decisive about what I like then will order some off line or at the Scottish Shop. I do know where you're talking about, so I will have to go check them out.

I don't understand why its so hard to find a proper pipe shop (fully stocked here). Apparently there used to be a pretty good place but it went under (from what a few Cigar guys tell me). Is this the shop in Lenox Mall you were talking about? At the moment, I'm happy with Ed's though. Will be a while til I outgrow it, I think, ha.

16. ruffinogold

Hey man ...ya ever see this place in Atl ... supp. has a ton of stuff ..... http://www.xyzdirect.com/ ... I live in fannin county and would drive down there if I knew it was worth it . Guess I should just call .... hell , forget it .... they're wholesalers but damn they carry alot of stuff ... I'm gonna call them monday and find out if they supply anyone in the atl area in any quantity....

17. Brian

Brian Member

Definitely call first. The site doesn't look the same, but there was someone else in Marietta with awesome-looking selection online. I think they were called the Tobacco Superstore. I called emailed them. Someone named Joyce said they used to have a B&M store a few years ago but it closed. It was called "Royal Cigar."

Anyway, they only sell online (just like the site says, no direct sales). It bet it is the same people. I can't imagine companies with the same story in Marietta. It's not that big a place :)

18. ruffinogold

you're right ... same people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.