Either tobacco changed or I did

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by shardy53, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I stated before that I am new to pipes again after not smoking a pipe since 1971 or 72. I used to smoke Mixture 79 and Middleton's Cherry Blend exclusively. (They were pretty hot sellers back then) I tried them again recently and the Cherry Blend is awful tasting to me now and the Mix 79 bites so bad I couldn't even finish a full bowlful on three occasions. Something must have changed for them to be that bad now and I don't think it was me.

Also I used to smoke a MM and Dr Grabo filtered pipe quite often and I can remember the filters lasting a lot longer than in the past. These medico filters crap out really quick now, like two or three smokes and they are totally shot.

MAINE CODGER likes this.

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Well, I would say that both are true. Your personal tastes probably have changed. At the same time, Im sure the tobaccos have changed as well. Tobacco is an organic material, and is not always the same. As for filters, I reckon that follows the rule of Planned Obsolescence: if they ware out quicker, then they need to be replaced sooner, which means more product sold, and more money made. Its the same way with appliances, computers, cars, and pretty much every other manufactured good...

gd9704 and Ephraim like this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I suspect the blending houses are treating tobacco with more propylene glycol (PG) than they used to. Although there is some disagreement about whether PG affects taste, I think if you were to do a side-by-side comparison of tobacco with & without PG you would notice the difference. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that the PG makes tobacco more goopy and shortens the life of filters.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yes, they have to use more PG because pipe tobacco doesn't sell as quickly as it did when Paladin and M79 were popular. Shelf life is still all-important, but needs to be extended.

PG should affect taste. It should cause tobacco to taste slightly sweeter, in a kind of sickly manner. PG itself has this flavor so I see no reason why it wouldn't impart itself upon anything it touches.

And yeah, I agree that PG would shorten filter life. I would also agree with Beaupipe that such tobaccos, if necessary for the smokers happiness, should only be smoked with filters in place. As I've always said, a decent pipe, suitable tobacco and proper technique should negate any need for filters, but if any one of those three is absent, a filter might help. ;)

MAINE CODGER and p120d16y like this.
  5. dmkerr

I'm not even sure those filters should be used for more than one smoke, to be honest.

May I humbly suggest you try different tobaccos? You'll likely find some that are better suited to your current tastes.

6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Never tried Sutliff's Mix. 79, but Middleton is usually very good at keeping PG to a minimum. In other words if left to sit out, Cherry Blend (and Price Albert, etc) will dry out (I like it on the dry side, but it's not at all gooey from the pouch).

But as Coda said it's probable that both your tastes and the tobaccos have changed over time.

p120d16y likes this.
  7. dmkerr

I would agree.

Carter Hall is pretty PG-free as well.

MAINE CODGER and KingsTarantula like this.
  8. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I didn't get bite from the Middleton's Cherry Blend. To me it just had a bad flavor and left a bad taste in my mouth. It also did not have a good room note like it used to, but I don't care about that anymore. Now the Mix 79.....That had a whole lot of bite to it, and it didn't matter how slow I smoked it and it wasn't wet either. I think that tobacco has definitely changed for the worse.

MAINE CODGER likes this.
  9. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I am mainly smoke a mixture I made of Captain Black white and Carter Hall for now. I just found a tin of Dunhill EMP localy and I really like that a lot. Maybe I don't need all those flavorings anymore. If I still like it in a few days I will order it in bulk along with a tin of Dunhill Nightcap. I am a little afraid of the nightcap though because some of the reviews say that it is super high in nicotine.

TedVig, KingsTarantula and Ephraim like this.
  10. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Well there's definitely no shortage of tobaccos to try out these days :)
    I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy.

EDIT- sorry I posted right as you posted above :)

Coda likes this.
  11. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I have nothing to offer, but, is that Roger Kaputnik in your avatar? Because that would be awesome.

inkybat, gd9704 and p120d16y like this.
  12. shardy53

shardy53 Member

Yes it is Roger Kaputnik, or might we not just call him by his real name, the great Dave Berg. BTW this EMP is really starting to grow on me. The slower I smoke it the better it gets.

Old Codger, inkybat, gd9704 and 3 others like this.
  13. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

EMP is a great smoke, as is GL Pease's Chelsea Morning, which is basically EMP with a pinch of Perique.

inkybat and p120d16y like this.
  14. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

Hi shardy53,
    If you are a cherry blend smoker and can't get the satisfaction out of the blends you used to smoke... Give Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Top Black Cherry a go. I'm not a fan of cherry, but I have smoked a tin of it and it's not bad. Cherry blend smokers seem to really enjoy it? I refuse to accept any less than 6 bowls out of my Medico filters, but I do pull them after each smoke, dry, and flip. I also use dirty coffee stained paper towels for days. Soooo.... Yeah. I'm just happy the Medico brand still exists even though the quality of their products has suffered. 6 bowls of TBC with one Medico filter isn't going to happen, but 6 bowls of a straight Virginia on one filter that is well taken care of... trust me, it happens all the time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    p120d16y likes this.
  15. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

I'm actually smoking Medico and Grabow filters from 1971 and they only work for one, 2 bowls if you want it to get gross. So I believe you may be mis-remembering. :beck:

I've just sipped straight VA and even Carter Hall through a Medico and Grabow filter and I personally think it's gross after one bowl, 2 bowls through a filter is really stretching it, and beyond that I'll just smoke without a filter once I'm out of them. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    rigormootis and jpberg like this.
  16. MAINE CODGER

MAINE CODGER Member

@ shardy53-----Can't speak to your filter issues as I have never used any, but; I did smoke Cherry Blend and
    # 79 enough times in the 60's and quite recently too for "old times sake" to say that you are right about the
    tobacco changes. These were not my steady smokes, but were good for an occasional change. Dill's Best (which
    probably no one remembers ) and Granger ( which is still good, but changed too) were my regular blends of
    choice. The Cherry Blend was a pleasant, tasty, smoke that you looked forward to having once in a while-----
    good pouch smell, nice room note, not a biter,---just comfortable. In my recent visit to C.Blend, I did not really
    find any of these qualities----just uncomfortable. With regards to #79, I seem to recall it being stronger in smell
    and taste than today's version. I would say that one bowl of #79 goes a long,long way-----not bad, but different.
    I have always thought that #79 had the best packaging(artwork) of all the brands, if that counts for anything!
    R.F.P

p120d16y likes this.
  17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Middletons Cherry hasn't changed flavor as far as I can tell since I first tried it somewhere around 1980 but I do believe it smoked cooler . At some point something changed but I didn't smoke it everyday to notice when . Back then I was an Edgeworth dude .. sadly , it looks like MCB might be joining Edgeworth in the afterlife .

18. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I've never had M79, but the general talk out on the street is that it's a rather horrid arrangement.

Lots of tobacco out there Shardy.

p120d16y likes this.
  19. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

ATTENTION ALL YOU OLD FARTS...........

The sky is not as blue as it was when I was a kid, and Hershey's chocolate tastes different. No one can make a molasses cookie as good as my Grandmother's. These cars today are little tin ****boxes, and the music on the radio today is total crap.

Did I miss anything?

20. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith Well-Known Member

M79, bad...Cherry Blend, good. I'm glad it's still around.

p120d16y likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.